Re: Did I buy the worst two Nikon cameras (or are they all this bad?)

Jeff Dittmar

Oct 11, 2007, 1:09:15 PM10/11/07
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:43:30 -0700, Linda Sands wrote:
> Did I happen to buy the two worst Nikon cameras on the planet

I don't know about the Nikon 5000 battery (probably Nikon engineers goofed
on the charger because the batteries would presumably come from a variety
of suppliers). Nikon has a bad reputation for battery chargers.

But I do know about the Nikon Coolpix battery door latch flaws as I had the
Coolpix 2100 which uses the same idiotic design.

Here is a photo of the latch from a clueless reviewer
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonCP3100/Images/battcompartment.jpg

Here is a photo of the common Nikon engineering flaw the reviewer missed
http://files.myopera.com/mcduret/blog/IMGP0065b.JPG

See how a paperclip & superglue were used to fix Nikon's engineering flaw
http://www.uthunter.com/images/Nikonfix.jpg

See how a tripod screw & plate were used to fix Nikon's engineering flaw
http://files.myopera.com/mcduret/blog/IMGP0070b.JPG

Here is a photo of how Nikon fixed the flaw themselves
http://www.scaredpoet.com/images/E7600_batterydoor.jpg

I would think that Nikon fixes these under a secret warranty for free even
after the warranty period has expired.

Does anyone know how to invoke the Nikon secret warranty?

Malcolm Hoar

Oct 11, 2007, 1:31:50 PM10/11/07
In article <%MsPi.6778$4V6...@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net>, Jeff Dittmar <dittm...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I would think that Nikon fixes these under a secret warranty for free even
>after the warranty period has expired.
>
>Does anyone know how to invoke the Nikon secret warranty?

Tell 'em you're a class action attorney ;-)

| ma...@malch.com Gary Player. |
| http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Jeanette Guire

Oct 15, 2007, 1:50:33 AM10/15/07
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 16:51:09 -0400, Scott Schuckert wrote:

> The battery doors are uniformly fragile on almost all digital cameras;
> the Nikons you mention are perhaps a little bit worse than average. I
> have experience with the 3100; with careful use it can be made to hold
> up. But as you mention, the stupidity is that the door is not designed
> to be easily replaced.

I found this wonderful thread while looking up how to fix my son's Nikon
Coolpix 3100 battery latch door camera body broken problem.

I latched onto the paperclip idea but nobody said which glue to use. I
bought Locktite superglue and Locktite epoxy but I think one or both of
those glues melted the camera body a bit. The camera body plastic is pitted
slightly and indented where the glue was wet but now has dried.

Does anyone know what the camera body plastic is made up of? The package
insert says not to use the Locktite Quick Set Epoxy on "polyethylene" or
"polypropylene".

Also, the articles didn't say WHAT SIZE drill bit to use so I used a #55
(0.052 inh) drill bit which seemed to work to drill the holes in the ribs
in the inside of the Nikon Coolpix camera body to hold the long legs of the
paperclip.

In addition, nobody said which dremel bit to use, and I munged up the
camera body by using one that was too large and unwieldy.

You can see a dozen step-by-step photos of my operation to recycle my son's
Nikon Coolpix 3100 camera at http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfixer/

Jeanette Guire

Oct 16, 2007, 1:38:21 AM10/16/07
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:54:59 +0100, BIC wrote:
> you have just been unlucky...........or heavy handed.

It's a VERY common problem BIC. Google for the Nikon coolpix battery door
latch and you'll see many people have the same problem. For every one you
find, there are hundreds who don't know about the usenet or the forums.
Even Nikon's own forums are fraught with sorry sad little coolpix owners.

Look at the design in the photos of the notorious Nikon Coolpix 2100 and
3100 series cameras. You, like most others in this thread, will have to
conclude the little flimsy plastic loop is bound to break under almost ANY
circumstance.

Did you actually look at the pictures?

Jeff

Oct 16, 2007, 2:57:31 AM10/16/07
Jeanette Guire wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:54:59 +0100, BIC wrote:
>
>>you have just been unlucky...........or heavy handed.
>

> It's a VERY common problem BIC. Google for the Nikon coolpix battery door
> latch and you'll see many people have the same problem. For every one you
> find, there are hundreds who don't know about the usenet or the forums.
> Even Nikon's own forums are fraught with sorry sad little coolpix owners.

Or switch to Canon. Canon has had a substantial lead on digital
technology that the others have been playing catch up with for years.
And the ergonomics of Canon are pretty good. I'm *really* hard on
cameras and my Canon A95 is still ticking (so's my Rebel and elph). It's
had a *lot* of exposures clicked through it.

Jeff

SMS

Oct 16, 2007, 2:13:26 PM10/16/07
Jeff wrote:
> Jeanette Guire wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:54:59 +0100, BIC wrote:
>>
>>> you have just been unlucky...........or heavy handed.
>>

>> It's a VERY common problem BIC. Google for the Nikon coolpix battery door
>> latch and you'll see many people have the same problem. For every one you
>> find, there are hundreds who don't know about the usenet or the forums.
>> Even Nikon's own forums are fraught with sorry sad little coolpix owners.
>
> Or switch to Canon. Canon has had a substantial lead on digital
> technology that the others have been playing catch up with for years.
> And the ergonomics of Canon are pretty good. I'm *really* hard on
> cameras and my Canon A95 is still ticking (so's my Rebel and elph). It's
> had a *lot* of exposures clicked through it.

It's true, the A series is remarkably robust for such an inexpensive
line of cameras.