freight container housing, or cargo container experience?

sr

Oct 2, 2009, 6:31:24 AM10/2/09
Anyone have experience with reconstructing freight or cargo container into
green housing?
Sandy in Maine

Rod Speed

Oct 2, 2009, 2:32:36 PM10/2/09
sr wrote:

> Anyone have experience with reconstructing freight or cargo container into green housing?

Rammed earth etc is a hell of a lot greener.

BigDog811

Oct 2, 2009, 4:26:40 PM10/2/09

The Real Bev

Oct 2, 2009, 4:30:34 PM10/2/09
Rod Speed wrote:

It's apparently cheaper to build a new container in China than to bring the
used one back. Accordingly, we would seem to have a surplus of nice
weatherproof metal containers sitting around, perhaps waiting to be melted
down. It probably wouldn't be all that difficult to make them liveable, but
there's no way on earth any USA entity with zoning laws would allow one to be
used for housing.

Pity, I think talented people could do really slick things with them.

--
Cheers, Bev
Don't you just KNOW that there is more than one

sr

Oct 2, 2009, 6:24:09 PM10/2/09
We have thousands of containers from China because we don't have any
products to fill them up and ship them back. It cost lots to melt them down
so using them for cheap housing makes sense to some people.
I haven't the muscles to ram anything
"The Real Bev" <bashle...@gmail.com> wrote in message

sr

Oct 2, 2009, 6:25:14 PM10/2/09
thank you kindly, I found a "how to book" on Amazon, but they are out
"BigDog811" <bigd...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Oct 2, 2009, 7:55:07 PM10/2/09
The Real Bev wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> sr wrote

>>> Anyone have experience with reconstructing freight or cargo container into green housing?

>> Rammed earth etc is a hell of a lot greener.

> It's apparently cheaper to build a new container in China than to bring the used one back.

Yep, but its a lot greener to use the earth thats already there.

> Accordingly, we would seem to have a surplus of nice weatherproof metal containers

Which arent that useful for houses.

> sitting around, perhaps waiting to be melted down. It probably wouldn't be all that difficult to make them liveable,
> but there's no way on earth any USA entity with zoning laws would allow one to be used for housing.

They do actually.

> Pity, I think talented people could do really slick things with them.

You can do a lot more with rammed earth etc.

sr

Oct 2, 2009, 8:27:04 PM10/2/09
Got pictures, you must live in a rammed earth dwelling?

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Oct 2, 2009, 8:37:52 PM10/2/09
sr wrote

> Got pictures, you must live in a rammed earth dwelling?

Nope, I dont give a shit about green.

I built mine using concrete block.

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

terrable

Oct 2, 2009, 8:45:46 PM10/2/09

"sr" <sol...@uninets.net> wrote in message

> Anyone have experience with reconstructing freight or cargo container into
> green housing?
> Sandy in Maine

Many people have ideas listed at
http://www.fabprefab.com/fabfiles/containerbayhome.htm

sr

Oct 2, 2009, 8:47:11 PM10/2/09
I was looking at concrete in the year 2000, price went up, use to be cheap.
It was the the foam forms, set them up than pour concrete. Got insulation
plus concrete

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Oct 2, 2009, 10:11:26 PM10/2/09
sr wrote:

> I was looking at concrete in the year 2000, price went up, use to be cheap.

I did mine in the very early 70s.

Quite a few commercial buildings are done using push up slabs today tho.

> It was the the foam forms, set them up than pour concrete. Got insulation plus concrete

I have got a poured concrete slab for the floor. No insulation tho.

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

sr

Oct 3, 2009, 8:45:24 AM10/3/09
here in Maine, some are using thick foam panels, 4inches, over gravel and
plastic sheeting before pouring concrete. Ground freezes deep, so this
method keeps slab from cracking, if done correctly

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Oct 3, 2009, 1:47:32 PM10/3/09
sr wrote:

> here in Maine, some are using thick foam panels, 4inches, over gravel and plastic sheeting before pouring concrete.

We use sand and plastic sheeting, no foam panels.

We dont get any snow at all tho.

> Ground freezes deep, so this method keeps slab from cracking, if done correctly

Its the mesh in the slab that stops it from cracking.

Les Cargill

Oct 17, 2009, 10:07:32 PM10/17/09

A friend once converted a boxcar into a shop building. Worked great. I
suppose you could make housing out of it...

--
Les Cargill

sr

Oct 18, 2009, 11:44:13 AM10/18/09
Yes, a friend of a friend use a train section for a diner, neat-
and a friend used a school bus, I was never that interested, at the time, to
ask
constuction questions, wish I had. I imagine there will be need of weilding
skills.
That's costly, in itself. I need a book on the basics of converting
shipping container
into a home. Every step, every detail. Still searching.

"Les Cargill" <lcarg...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Les Cargill

Oct 18, 2009, 12:46:23 PM10/18/09
sr wrote:
> Yes, a friend of a friend use a train section for a diner, neat-
> and a friend used a school bus, I was never that interested, at the time, to
> ask
> constuction questions, wish I had. I imagine there will be need of weilding
> skills.
> That's costly, in itself. I need a book on the basics of converting
> shipping container
> into a home. Every step, every detail. Still searching.

I've seen ISBUs being prepped for bein' sent to the sandbox ( Iraq ).

I can't tell you anything directly, but this was interesting:

http://video.bobvila.com/m/21320565/converting-steel-shipping-containers-to-housing.htm

This means wielding a cuttin' torch... that's a lot of labor. They also
mentioned welding the floor joists between the two halves. That would
have to be done very carefully

The figure quoted was $45 a square foot. They have to use a
high-thermal-density ceramic coating on the outside ( because
of solar load in Florida ). If the containers comprise half the square
footage, that half of a 2k sq ft house is $45,000. Yowch. If
the rest is half that, then the whole thing costs $67,500 for
2k sq ft.

To be honest with you - I bet you can find a short sale or
repo quicker and cheaper than you can get this done. You're still
on the hook for trusses, interior and flooring. I don't remember
the exact ratio, but getting a concrete block shell in Florida was
pretty cheap when last I checked. People there are pretty hard up.

If you had a site that was appropriate for rammed earth,
had local materials on your land for the exterior parts that
show, these might be interesting - ignoring rust. But the value-add
is extensive.

And finally, if you just go hacking on these, you're likely
to compromise them. They're an engineered "exoskeleton" - the
skin is load-bearing. You can make mistakes if you don't know
the engineering.

What I could visualize is using these on a hillside site as part of a
cantilever structure, but ... that's way over my head engineeringwise.

--
Les Cargill

sr

Oct 18, 2009, 12:53:17 PM10/18/09
Ofcourse, Bobvile did a segiment , saw it online some time back. My
computer hasn't enough power to watch the demostration. Bummer. Can't watch
anything online, which would be a big help. One thing, I wouldn't be using
spray foam, discount panels are cheaper. $240 for a cord in Bangor, ME
thanks

"Les Cargill" <lcarg...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Gary Heston

Oct 18, 2009, 1:19:28 PM10/18/09
In article <2576e$4adb4821$ccb58439$15...@ispn.net>,

sr <sol...@uninets.net> wrote:
>Ofcourse, Bobvile did a segiment , saw it online some time back. My
>computer hasn't enough power to watch the demostration. Bummer. Can't watch
>anything online, which would be a big help. One thing, I wouldn't be using
>spray foam, discount panels are cheaper. $240 for a cord in Bangor, ME
[ ... ]

Do you have Internet Cafes, or a public library with free access and
workstations, in your area? If you have a notebook with WiFi, a place
with WiFi access for the price of a cup of coffee can give you a high
bandwith link.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"Where large, expensive pieces of exotic woods are converted to valueless,

sr

Oct 18, 2009, 1:37:03 PM10/18/09
As a matter of fact, there is.
I'll check that out, as this site you gave, looks promising
"Gary Heston" <ghe...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

Les Cargill

Oct 18, 2009, 1:41:27 PM10/18/09
sr wrote:
> Ofcourse, Bobvile did a segiment , saw it online some time back. My
> computer hasn't enough power to watch the demostration. Bummer. Can't watch
> anything online, which would be a big help. One thing, I wouldn't be using
> spray foam, discount panels are cheaper. $240 for a cord in Bangor, ME
> thanks

If there's some way you can get to that video, I would before
spending dime one. Ask at your public library.

IMO ( just IMO, mind you ), it's a bust,
especially in a down builder's market. But it depends on what
you have in mind. $45 a square foot, he says.

The opening of the box is too narrow for much beyond storage, and
the cost of widening it is very high. But again, if you had
the right site, and the right skills... you'd be better off
working for money and not doing this :)

--
Les Cargil

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Oct 18, 2009, 1:47:35 PM10/18/09
In article
<lNSdncoXW5W900bXnZ2dnUVZ_gGdnZ2d@posted
.hiwaay2>,
ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston)
wrote:

> In article <2576e$4adb4821$ccb58439$15...@ispn.net>,
> sr <sol...@uninets.net> wrote:
> >Ofcourse, Bobvile did a segiment , saw it online some time back. My
> >computer hasn't enough power to watch the demostration. Bummer. Can't watch
> >anything online, which would be a big help. One thing, I wouldn't be using
> >spray foam, discount panels are cheaper. $240 for a cord in Bangor, ME
> [ ... ]
>
> Do you have Internet Cafes, or a public library with free access and
> workstations, in your area? If you have a notebook with WiFi, a place
> with WiFi access for the price of a cup of coffee can give you a high
> bandwith link.
>

> Gary

And there are always libraries...which
might have DVDs of his shows

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2009, 2:20:23 PM10/18/09
sr wrote:

> Ofcourse, Bobvile did a segiment , saw it online some time back. My computer hasn't enough power to watch the
> demostration. Bummer. Can't watch anything online, which would be a big help.

There are downloaders for situations like that.

sr

Oct 18, 2009, 8:54:44 PM10/18/09
We aren't so sophisticated to have access to that material.
We are a town of 700.

After the storm, I'll make way to the cafe internet, if it is still in
operation.
Up here, it stores are here one day, gone the next.

One thing for sure, I'm not paying 45 a ft.
When I bought this place, I read books that said I would be paying 3 times
the cost per sq ft. that I actually paid. It was during another down market,
plenty of workers. I know enough myself to do the wiring, except the fuse
box,
plumbing, sheetrock, floors. And, enough to make the workers honest.

Up here, you can do as much as you like on your
own without inspectors, except for the fuse box, and septic.

Thanks to adult education classes and a bunch of books, I got off cheap.

The college we have close to me is an environmental school. I mentioned the
container housing, to the powers that be, container living is considered
"Green". so
I believed this school would be in the Know.
I was looked at as
having 3 heads.
========it takes about 20 years for Maine to catch up ====

Les Cargill" <lcarg...@comcast.net> wrote in message

sr

Oct 18, 2009, 9:04:01 PM10/18/09

don't know about downloads, regretfully, did find a book. 50 bucks
http://container4home.com/
Amazon doesn't carry this one. yet

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2009, 9:23:08 PM10/18/09
sr wrote:

> don't know about downloads, regretfully, did find a book. 50 bucks

Lot cheaper to learn how to download.

sr

Oct 18, 2009, 9:46:34 PM10/18/09
What device do you need to download? Probably don't have it on this
reconditioned computer.
no bells nor whistles:
barely can get on the internet
---------

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2009, 11:18:25 PM10/18/09
sr wrote:

> What device do you need to download?

Just a piece of software. Plenty are free.

> Probably don't have it on this reconditioned computer.
> no bells nor whistles:

Then get it off the net and install it.

> barely can get on the internet

Dont believe that.