Options For Getting Vision Checked/Corrected

SMH

Aug 3, 2007, 12:11:44 PM8/3/07

I need to get my vision checked, and as cheaply as possible. I am sure I
am looking at an optometrist's exam plus whatever the correction is likely
to be (probably bifocals, as I have always been myopic and now seem to be
getting significant hyperopia as I get into my late 40s).

Some years back I went to an optometrist working inside a Sears store and
was okay with that. But maybe there are better places to consider...and
surely advice on places to avoid.

Also, my friend abroad, in her mid-40s, got the laser treatment several
years ago and is happy with it. But I get the impression that the laser
correction therapy is more frequently done and well advanced than it is
here in the U.S. I am tired of wearing soft contacts (too much dry eye in
old age), and I don't want to put spectacles on as my front hairline starts
to meet the back of my neck, as the combination is unattractive to me,
forget about what anyone else thinks. Any thoughts on the effectivess and
value of laser correction of vision? Has anyone done it first time in
middle age? I hear age is a factor. I am planning for a year or two down
the road maybe.

Rick

Aug 3, 2007, 12:33:20 PM8/3/07

The question I have about laser correction that never seems to get
answered in TeeVee ads or the "factual" stories run on what is
considered news coverage these days: It's known that your eyes change as
you age - fluid levels change, making the shape of the eye change,
making you need glasses, and possibly a different prescription after a
few years. So just how permanent is this corrective surgery? You can get
a do-over with glasses or contacts and just change the prescription as
needed. What happens with the laser correction surgery after sseveral
years if you get it done in your 40's or 50's? "They" never come right
out and say it's a permanent replacement for eyeglasses or contacts for
age related vision changes. Is it?

Rick

George

Aug 3, 2007, 1:24:38 PM8/3/07

No, and I think they are being really disingenuous when they advertise
that it is simple and not risky. They are doing a permanent modification
to your eye(s). There is only so much tissue to work with and it doesn't
grow back. I know way too many people who got a bad result. "you get
what you pay for" really applies too because the cheaper places use
older equipment that can't screen for certain conditions that guarantee
a bad result.

Anyone who is thinking about doing this should talk with people who have
done it. You will be quite surprised to find out how many can't see at
night, have severe dry eye or just got a crappy result and still need
glasses but have poorer vision than before.

The big secret that they will never tell you is that the success rate
numbers are based on the result they get when they first test you after
the procedure. Technically your vision may be ~20/20 but you can't see
well.

Message has been deleted

Melissa

Aug 3, 2007, 4:44:13 PM8/3/07

"Abe" <no...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> >The big secret that they will never tell you is that the success rate
> >numbers are based on the result they get when they first test you after
> >the procedure. Technically your vision may be ~20/20 but you can't see
> >well.
>
> I don't disagree with the caution you suggest, but saying "Technically
> your vision may be ~20/20 but you can't see well" makes absolutely no
> sense.

You can have 20/20 vision as far as distance...but your reading vision can
still suck. I know a 2 ladies who had the surgery, and are now in their
late 40's. They both need reading glasses, in spite of the fact that they
can see a mile down the road with perfect vision.

I have really bad vision, since I was 5 years old. I'm now 48. My
prescription is a -650 or so. I went into a progressive lens last year
(glasses), because I could no longer read. I have bi-focal contacts, but
they aren't perfect. If I want to see something clearly, I need to remove my
glasses or contacts, and hold the item about 5 inches from my face.

I had an exam for the laser surgery, but it would completely remove my
ability to hold something close and see it clearly. That is something I
cannot give up. No matter how "correct" my reading glasses are, I can't
thread a needle or read a jewelry mark with them. My pupils are also small,
which means they would dialate my eyes before the procedure. My night
vision would be worse...halos and glares would be worse than they are now.

So, I deal with my progressive lens glasses, wear contacts for certain
events, and bring out my old single vision glasses for when I need to be
able to see clearly for a long distance, and for laying in bed and watching
TV.

My eyes have changed a lot in just 12 months, and I'm sure I need a new
prescription again. These progressive glasses cost a fortune (rolled and
polished edges to prevent that coke bottle look) combined with my high
prescription has always meant my glasses are pricey. My last pair of single
vision ones were just under $300. $200 of that was the lens itself, the
rest was the frame that also included a magnetic sunglass. My progressive
lenses were over $500. Again, they included magnetic sunglasses.

In short (I know, too late), find a locally owned shop. Stay away from the
chains. Don't try to skimp on your eyes. It's not the place to be
frugal/cheap.

The "lenses that change in the sunlight" are a rip off. They don't work well
in a car because of the UV protection built into the auto glass. I talked
to at least 5 people who bought them and hated them because they didn't get
dark enough in the car in bright sunlight.

Melissa

Melissa

George

Aug 3, 2007, 4:16:07 PM8/3/07
Abe wrote:
>> The big secret that they will never tell you is that the success rate
>> numbers are based on the result they get when they first test you after
>> the procedure. Technically your vision may be ~20/20 but you can't see
>> well.
>
> I don't disagree with the caution you suggest, but saying "Technically
> your vision may be ~20/20 but you can't see well" makes absolutely no
> sense.

They test using only a simple eye chart. You technically have 20/20
because you can read the line but have almost no peripheral vision or
have lots of distortion (looking through a frosted window effect etc) or
other aberrations.

A friend just had it done a few months ago and was delighted to have
20/20 just like they show on the commercials but functionally he cannot
see well. They keep on telling him it will take more time.

Don K

Aug 3, 2007, 7:07:59 PM8/3/07
"Melissa" <nos...@neo.rr.com> wrote in message

> The "lenses that change in the sunlight" are a rip off. They don't work well
> in a car because of the UV protection built into the auto glass. I talked
> to at least 5 people who bought them and hated them because they didn't get
> dark enough in the car in bright sunlight.

That's an interesting point to check out if considering that type of lens.
I've never seriously considered them because I feel they don't go totally
transparent in dim light either.

Don

Shawn Hirn

Aug 3, 2007, 10:16:38 PM8/3/07
In article <Xns99815D8A...@207.115.33.102>,
SMH <s...@munged.address.com> wrote:

Laser correction can be highly effective, but it depends on the
condition of your eyes. If there's an ophthalmology or optometry school
in your area, check there to see if they have a low cost client where
you can have your eyes checked. You didn't say where in the world you
live, so its hard to give specific recommendations on how to get a
cheap, yet good eye exam.

Shawn Hirn

Aug 3, 2007, 10:26:32 PM8/3/07
In article <5LOdnf0vtZtjKS7b...@comcast.com>,
"Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote:

Really? I have polar grey lenses and I love them. I have no problem
driving during the day with my glasses on. I am very nearsighted, so
glasses are essential when I drive. My glasses get dark enough when I
drive. Since I got my new glasses (this past January), I no longer have
problems with glare when I drive on sunny days, even if I am driving in
the direction of the sun. Now, I don't need a separate pair of
prescription eye glasses.

The only down side I have with my glasses is when I am out shooting
photos in bright sunlight. I am an avid ameteur photographer. I have a
digital SLR and I like to shoot it on full manual a lot. I have to take
off my glasses now in order to see the shutter speed and aperture
numbers in the viewfinder because the darkened lenses obscure the
information too much. The first time I experienced that problem, I
thought my camera was broken! Its a minor irritation, so what I do now
is carry my previous set of classes in my camera bag, which are a very
close prescription to my current pair.

Usene...@the-domain-in.sig

Aug 4, 2007, 9:37:57 PM8/4/07
In article <d3q6b3tat1jnfv3ql...@4ax.com>,
no...@nowhere.com says...

> >The big secret that they will never tell you is that the success rate
> >numbers are based on the result they get when they first test you after
> >the procedure. Technically your vision may be ~20/20 but you can't see
> >well.

> I don't disagree with the caution you suggest, but saying "Technically
> your vision may be ~20/20 but you can't see well" makes absolutely no
> sense.

You could have 20/20 vision in the sense of focus. While at the
same time having spots or distortions or reduced peripheral
vision.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/