Latest Thrift Shop score

Bob F

May 28, 2010, 4:19:46 PM5/28/10
I picked up a desktop Dell Inspiron Box yesterday at Goodwill for $15. No
harddrive, but includes working power supply, motherboard, Q8200 quad core
processor, 4 GB of memory and a DVD RW drive. I've been wanting to upgrade my
PC.

But I forgot I had a 30% off coupon in my pocket. @#&*!

Just missed on a $60 32" (I think) Viewsonic flat panel TV. Someone else was
already checking it out as I entered the store.

Michael Black

May 28, 2010, 11:08:45 PM5/28/10
On Fri, 28 May 2010, Bob F wrote:

> I picked up a desktop Dell Inspiron Box yesterday at Goodwill for $15. No
> harddrive, but includes working power supply, motherboard, Q8200 quad core
> processor, 4 GB of memory and a DVD RW drive. I've been wanting to upgrade my
> PC.

I was thinking about buying an LCD monitor, thought maybe I'd see one this
year at a garage sale, since there's been enough penetration that I can
imagine people getting a smaller one with a computer, and selling it off
when they buy a larger monitor.

But when it was University Move Out Day at the beginning of May, I came
across a 17" LCD monitor lying on the sidewalk. I was really lucky,
because it had been raining, but the monitor was put out after
the rain, and I had gone back to check one more time, and the monitor
appeared between my two visits to that street.

I've been thinking it's time to buy a new used computer, the hand me
down I'm using was given to me five years ago. So I did buy that 80gig
hard drive at a garage sale a few weeks ago, for five dollars, in case
I find something without a drive. Of course, I'm kind of looking for a
cheap "new" computer that handles sata drives, since I pulled a 320gig
sata drive out of a satellite receiver I found last summer. I picked it
up, walked along a bit, thought of dumping it (I have no use for them,
other than parts, and they are pretty common) and then realised there
was a hard drive inside. So I opened it, took the drive out and dumped
the rest of the receiver.

I am wondering whether that large LCD tv set I saw lying on the sidewalk
a few weeks ago was bad, or just somebody abandoning it. It was too large
to carry home, certainly too large when I wasn't sure it was working.
There was another tv set with it, so that does make me wonder.

Michael

Bob F

May 29, 2010, 3:16:09 AM5/29/10

This "new" computer only handles SATA drives. Build date on it is '08.

No IDE, floppy, serial, or parallel ports. 1st one like that for me. Only one
PCI slot, too.

On the lookout for SATA drives now.