Inexpensive car radio?

Ken

May 19, 2008, 1:17:00 PM5/19/08
Where'a a good, preferably local, place to buy a very basic reliable
generic radio for a 20-year-old pickup? Just the AM/FM with a couple of
station buttons. No CD, tape, high power, GPS, fancy displays, quad
sound, etc. needed. Chinese junk or good stuff?

Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, ... Who?

TIA

Ken

Zuke

May 19, 2008, 4:06:52 PM5/19/08

Junk yard?

Al Bundy

May 19, 2008, 4:26:09 PM5/19/08

Second that opinion.
Easy to install and probably $10-12.

Message has been deleted

Dave

May 19, 2008, 11:28:22 AM5/19/08
On 19 May 2008 17:17:00 GMT
Ken <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> Where'a a good, preferably local, place to buy a very basic reliable
> generic radio for a 20-year-old pickup? Just the AM/FM with a couple of
> station buttons. No CD, tape, high power, GPS, fancy displays, quad
> sound, etc. needed. Chinese junk or good stuff?
>
> Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, ... Who?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Ken - anything new with just AM/FM is likely to be wicked expensive as it's a matter of volume. As nobody wants that anymore, it's not produced IN NUMBERS large enough to sell cheap at retail.

Check the junkyard.

If you want new, go to Wal-Mart and find the cheapest model that they offer there. Expect it to likely have a CD player in it though. Oh, and just because the amp drives four channels doesn't mean that you must have four speakers. If you want to hook up just one pair of speakers that's OK. -Dave

Al Bundy

May 20, 2008, 7:13:33 AM5/20/08

Ken wrote:
> Where'a a good, preferably local, place to buy a very basic reliable
> generic radio for a 20-year-old pickup? Just the AM/FM with a couple of
> station buttons. No CD, tape, high power, GPS, fancy displays, quad
> sound, etc. needed. Chinese junk or good stuff?
>
> Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, ... Who?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Or just use a portable radio on the dash. Fasten it some way. If you
find one that uses 12VDC, you could wire it into the system or put a
plug in the lighter receptacle.

ra...@vt.edu

May 20, 2008, 1:31:53 PM5/20/08
Ken <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
> Where'a a good, preferably local, place to buy a very basic reliable
> generic radio for a 20-year-old pickup? Just the AM/FM with a couple of
> station buttons. No CD, tape, high power, GPS, fancy displays, quad
> sound, etc. needed. Chinese junk or good stuff?

I'd go to www.crutchfield.com and pick something that fits.
You may end up with cassette or CD, but nothing says you have
to use it. My personal favorite is the Sony XR-CA350X. It has
a cassette player built in, but I like it because it has the
best FM reception I've ever seen. Picks up stations I didn't
even know existed with other radios. Cost $80. Crutchfield
will include adapters and plugs so you don't have to hack up
the wiring, and good install instructions, plus phone help
if you need it.

Yes, you can find some stuff cheaper at WalMart and the like,
but then you have to buy your own adapter plugs and any other
installation extras. Crutchfield also has cheaper, as low as
$40, radios but they still include cassette or CD and free adapters.

I have no relationship to Crutchfield other than as a happy
customer for many years and multiple purchases.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Sofa Slug

May 20, 2008, 10:09:10 PM5/20/08
Ken wrote:
> Where'a a good, preferably local, place to buy a very basic reliable
> generic radio for a 20-year-old pickup? Just the AM/FM with a couple of
> station buttons. No CD, tape, high power, GPS, fancy displays, quad
> sound, etc. needed. Chinese junk or good stuff?
>
> Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, ... Who?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Why not get the original radio that came with your truck? It's likely
that you can find one on Ebay or at a wrecking yard, and you know it's
going to fit. Another plus is that thieves generally ignore stock AM/FM
radios. The tape deck (if it has one) may or may not work, but that's
apparently not an issue.

Ken

May 22, 2008, 9:45:56 AM5/22/08
ra...@vt.edu wrote in news:g0v1u9$jdb$1...@solaris.cc.vt.edu:

> I'd go to www.crutchfield.com and pick something that fits.

Thank you very much! I looked at their site yesterday. Seems like my best
bet. I'll order a radio later today. I'm reluctant to get a junk yard
radio; who knows what shape it's in and how long it will last? If it's
original equipment it will be quite old. Changing radios is a lot of work
for an old man like me.

Message has been deleted