Cook-a-Thon & Freeze Ahead Dinners (Recipes)

MichelleA9

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

Michael & I bought a good-sized freezer when we acquired our "little slice of
heaven" (a big, severely
vandalized 2-year-old home on five acres of scotch broom an hour and a quarter
[snivel] from my job).
After a year out here thirty miles from Nowhere, with only one (terminally
sprog-infested) restaurant
anywhere close by, we finally wised up and started cooking & freezing a couple
months ago; and it IS the
best idea since sliced bread! We've got a handful of entree recipes that lend
themselves really well to this
treatment -- yield in # of servings (now) is calculated for adults, not the
usual imaginary family of four
including two-point-two children of unspecified age & appetite -- which we'd be
delighted to
share.* Needless to say, we're constantly on the lookout for more.

Fringe benefit of this program for singles or childfree couples like us -- it
works just great to shop for cook-a-thons at your big cold impersonal but cheap
warehouse store; unlike the usual cooking-for-one-or-two experience where
EVERYthing there, while tantalizingly cheap, is way more than you'll use before
it "turns."

-- Michelle

* The recipes, not the 2.2 children of unspecified age & appetite; if you have
THOSE, keep them to
yourself(ves)!

MichelleA9

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

African Bean & Chicken Stew

Recipe By : S&W
Serving Size : 14 adult dinners

1/4 cup peanut oil
3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts -- cut into 1/2 inch
cubes
6 each scallion/green onion -- chopped
12 ounces S&W Southwestern Fajitas & Cooking Sauce*
6 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 cups corn -- (frozen or canned, whatever)
30 ounces black beans, cooked -- canned, drained
30 ounces S&W Louisiana Style Red Beans -- canned, drained
10 drops Louisiana Hot Pepper Sauce
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup chicken bouillon *OR*
30 ounces S&W Ready-Cut tomatoes -- canned, NOT drained
(when you're ready to serve it):
cooked rice
peanuts -- chopped, for garnish
green onions, julienned, for garnish

Heat oil in soup kettle or Dutch oven; add chicken & saute over medium heat,
stirring frequently until
almost all pink color has disappeared. Add green onions; saute 2-3 minutes
longer, continuing to stir
frequently; reduce heat to low. Blend Cooking Sauce with peanut butter,
drizzle over chicken & onions.
Add corn, beans, hot pepper sauce, bouillion or tomatoes & salt; stir well to
combine ingredients. Simmer
mixture a few minutes longer to heat throughout, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, prepare rice
according to directions. Spoon over rice. Garnish with chopped peanuts &
julienned green onions.
* I've always found this near the barbecue sauces, NOT the ethnic/regional
foods section
NOTES : Without rice, two servings (1 dinner for two) will cram into a 1-pint
freezer container.

-- Michelle

pch...@ludl.tds.net

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

MichelleA9 wrote:

> Michael & I bought a good-sized freezer when we acquired our "little slice of
> heaven" (a big, severely
> vandalized 2-year-old home on five acres of scotch broom an hour and a quarter
> [snivel] from my job).
> After a year out here thirty miles from Nowhere, with only one (terminally
> sprog-infested) restaurant
> anywhere close by, we finally wised up and started cooking & freezing a couple
> months ago;

What are sprogs?

Cheryl L Perkins

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

pcha//@ludl.tds.net wrote:

: What are sprogs?

Small children.

Cheryl
--
Cheryl Perkins
cper...@calvin.stemnet.nf.ca

The Brown Family

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

MichelleA9 wrote:

> Michael & I bought a good-sized freezer when we acquired our "little slice of
> heaven" (a big, severely
> vandalized 2-year-old home on five acres of scotch broom an hour and a quarter
> [snivel] from my job).
> After a year out here thirty miles from Nowhere, with only one (terminally
> sprog-infested) restaurant
> anywhere close by, we finally wised up and started cooking & freezing a couple
> months ago; and it IS the
> best idea since sliced bread! We've got a handful of entree recipes that lend
> themselves really well to this
> treatment -- yield in # of servings (now) is calculated for adults, not the
> usual imaginary family of four
> including two-point-two children of unspecified age & appetite -- which we'd be
> delighted to
> share.* Needless to say, we're constantly on the lookout for more.
>
> Fringe benefit of this program for singles or childfree couples like us -- it
> works just great to shop for cook-a-thons at your big cold impersonal but cheap
> warehouse store; unlike the usual cooking-for-one-or-two experience where
> EVERYthing there, while tantalizingly cheap, is way more than you'll use before
> it "turns."
>
> -- Michelle
>
> * The recipes, not the 2.2 children of unspecified age & appetite; if you have
> THOSE, keep them to
> yourself(ves)!

Gee Michelle,
I have a ton of recipes for OAMC but since I have sprogs I guess you
don't want them (the recipes that is). My family is two, actually three
now adults, one teenager and one child. Somehow I manage to adapt
recipes to our family, who sometimes are not all home to eat anyway.

Funny thing, at my high school reunion (20th), all my best friend from
high school could talk about was not having any kids and did I think she
would be sorry, biological time clock ticking and all. Another friend
missed reunion because she was pregnant with her first, after hearing
how they weren't going to have kids every time we saw them!

Cheryl B.

MichelleA9

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

The Brown Family <rcb...@humboldt1.com> wrote:

>Gee Michelle,
>I have a ton of recipes for OAMC but since I have sprogs I guess you
>don't want them (the recipes that is). My family is two, actually three
>now adults, one teenager and one child. Somehow I manage to adapt
>recipes to our family, who sometimes are not all home to eat anyway.
>
>Funny thing, at my high school reunion (20th), all my best friend from
>high school could talk about was not having any kids and did I think she
>would be sorry, biological time clock ticking and all. Another friend
>missed reunion because she was pregnant with her first, after hearing
>how they weren't going to have kids every time we saw them!
>
>Cheryl B.

Aw, sh-t... <long, weary sigh>

Excuse me a moment while I debate whether to even enter into this conversation.

Okay. I posted this message originally on alt.support.childfree, where it was
actually off-topic but welcomed. A friend there suggested I also cross-post it
here. I contemplated cross-posting it in its original form (the one you saw) &
identifying it as a cross-post; then I decided that the humorous references
therein would probably provoke knee-jerk responses like yours, which would be
too much like what those of us who don't enjoy children get treated to all the
time out there in the world, and I frankly didn't feel like dealing with it
here, too. So, since the humor really wasn't relevant to the post anyway, I
edited it out.

Obviously as I switched files back and forth in Word, I selected & pasted in
the wrong file. What can I say? It was late. I was tired. SO sorry to
offend your tender sensibilities by erroneously including humorous references
that might indicate that not everyone in the world shares your enjoyment of
screaming children in restaurants, or wants 2.2 of their own. I received
e-mail from other mcfl browsers with kids asking for my handful of favorite
recipes, so I guess not ALL parents were mortally offended... Whatever. Maybe
THEY just had the sense to realize that recipes in and of themselves aren't
"tainted" by the political beliefs, lifestyle choices, religion or hair color
of the last person who followed them. Sheesh.

Still shaking my head,
Michelle

morgans1@outoutdamnedspam

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 05:53:32 -0800, The Brown Family
<rcb...@humboldt1.com> wrote:

>Gee Michelle,
>I have a ton of recipes for OAMC but since I have sprogs I guess you
>don't want them (the recipes that is).

Gee Cheryl, you don't read well, do you? She suggested sharing the
recipes, not the kids for heaven's sake.

>My family is two, actually three
>now adults, one teenager and one child. Somehow I manage to adapt
>recipes to our family, who sometimes are not all home to eat anyway.

Bully for you. My family happens to be two people and a cat, and
somehow _I_ manage to adapt too.

>Funny thing, at my high school reunion (20th), all my best friend from
>high school could talk about was not having any kids and did I think she
>would be sorry, biological time clock ticking and all. Another friend
>missed reunion because she was pregnant with her first, after hearing
>how they weren't going to have kids every time we saw them!

Oh yay. Funny thing, now that my peers have grown and gone, I hear a
lot of their parents wishing they had never had kids at all, now that
they've remembered just how much fun it is to have their own lives
instead of being Mommy and Daddy for twenty-plus years. Put THAT in
your pipe and smoke it.

Can we NOT get into another round of "I'm SO effing superior because
_I_ have children and therefore I know that all of YOU selfish evil
childfree people who don't like kids are going to die lonely and
miserable, if you haven't discovered the joys of parenthood and popped
out at least your fair share of Tax Deductions...."

Any sarcasm is purely intentional.
--
Mari E. Morgan, morgans1 AT mindspring DOT com
"...ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real

MichelleA9

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

morgans1@outoutdamnedspam wrote:

>Gee Cheryl, you don't read well, do you? She suggested sharing the
>recipes, not the kids for heaven's sake.

Thanks Mari! I *thought* I had made that clear... but AHA!!! Now I know what
happened! Cheryl didn't scroll all the way to the * footnote at the bottom,
where I specifically SAID " * The recipes, not the 2.2 children of unspecified
age & appetite;"

Here I was, getting all het up over nothing, when it was actually just a simple
case of being mouse-challenged all along.

-- Michelle (SO glad we cleared THAT up!)

Allen and Teri

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

morgans1@outoutdamnedspam wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 05:53:32 -0800, The Brown Family
> <rcb...@humboldt1.com> wrote:
>
> >Gee Michelle,
> >I have a ton of recipes for OAMC but since I have sprogs I guess you
> >don't want them (the recipes that is).
>
> Gee Cheryl, you don't read well, do you? She suggested sharing the
> recipes, not the kids for heaven's sake.

Easy, Mari, easy!!!

WendiEliot

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

>Can we NOT get into another round of "I'm SO effing superior because
>_I_ have children and therefore I know that all of YOU selfish evil
>childfree people who don't like kids are going to die lonely and
>miserable, if you haven't discovered the joys of parenthood and popped
>out at least your fair share of Tax Deductions...."

DIT-TO!

Wendi

"God and the Devil reward surrender"--Tim Finn

The Brown Family

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Allen and Teri wrote:

> morgans1@outoutdamnedspam wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 05:53:32 -0800, The Brown Family
> > <rcb...@humboldt1.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Gee Michelle,
> > >I have a ton of recipes for OAMC but since I have sprogs I guess you
> > >don't want them (the recipes that is).
> >
> > Gee Cheryl, you don't read well, do you? She suggested sharing the
> > recipes, not the kids for heaven's sake.
> >
> > >My family is two, actually three
> > >now adults, one teenager and one child. Somehow I manage to adapt
> > >recipes to our family, who sometimes are not all home to eat anyway.
> >
> > Bully for you. My family happens to be two people and a cat, and
> > somehow _I_ manage to adapt too.
> >
> > >Funny thing, at my high school reunion (20th), all my best friend from
> > >high school could talk about was not having any kids and did I think she
> > >would be sorry, biological time clock ticking and all. Another friend
> > >missed reunion because she was pregnant with her first, after hearing
> > >how they weren't going to have kids every time we saw them!
> >
> > Oh yay. Funny thing, now that my peers have grown and gone, I hear a
> > lot of their parents wishing they had never had kids at all, now that
> > they've remembered just how much fun it is to have their own lives
> > instead of being Mommy and Daddy for twenty-plus years. Put THAT in
> > your pipe and smoke it.
> >
> > Can we NOT get into another round of "I'm SO effing superior because
> > _I_ have children and therefore I know that all of YOU selfish evil
> > childfree people who don't like kids are going to die lonely and
> > miserable, if you haven't discovered the joys of parenthood and popped
> > out at least your fair share of Tax Deductions...."
> >
> > Any sarcasm is purely intentional.
> > --
> > Mari E. Morgan, morgans1 AT mindspring DOT com
> > "...ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real
> > and in the present tense?"
> > Yes, that's a spamblock. Replace it with mindspring.com to email me.
>
> Easy, Mari, easy!!!
I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to start anything. Just was having a
bad day, feeling defensive.

Cheryl B.
Northern Coastal California

Henry Forson

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

The Brown Family wrote:

> Gee Michelle,
> I have a ton of recipes for OAMC but since I have sprogs I guess you
> don't want them (the recipes that is). My family is two, actually three

> now adults, one teenager and one child. Somehow I manage to adapt
> recipes to our family, who sometimes are not all home to eat anyway.
>
> Funny thing, at my high school reunion (20th), all my best friend from
> high school could talk about was not having any kids and did I think she
> would be sorry, biological time clock ticking and all. Another friend
> missed reunion because she was pregnant with her first, after hearing
> how they weren't going to have kids every time we saw them!
>
> Cheryl B.

Cheryl, Cheryl. I *have children* & even *I* don't want to get into
this topic again. Dear heart, even if I *agreed* with you, this topic
has been *done to DEATH.* Could we please give it a rest?????

I am so sick of the whole thing. Rejoice that you have children,
if that makes you happy; it surely does me, & let the rest of them do
their own thing in blessed silence.

Melodi in VA

Bulll001

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Michelle,
I would love to get some of your recipes and ideas....I am a single
Father with two teenage daughters and between work and their extra activities
our menus really take a beating......any help would be greatly appreciated.

jeff

morgans1@outoutdamnedspam

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Given to me last summer by Katy Mulvey, my changes appear in square
brackets. :-) I like doing this in several smallish (quart?) flat
plastic freezer-to-microwave containers, each holding one "recipe" for
one meal. If I keep the recipe this way, it's much easier for me to
reproduce it depending on how much I have of whatever ingredients
without having to recalculate. This would make a butt-kicking lunch as
well if packed and frozen in individual containers - each recipe as
below would make two containers.

Tortilla Chicken Casserole
(serves 2, easily doubled)
6oz chicken (baked, then shredded or in chunks. I sometimes use
canned chicken, and you could substitute tuna if you're in a tuna
sort of mood) [kidney, pinto, and black beans also work very well, as
does rehydrated, seasoned TVP]
1oz tortilla chips [I use regular flour or corn tortillas, torn into
pieces to fit my container - two to four depending on size and type of
what I have around]
3/4 cup chopped green peppers (1 medium green pepper)
3/4 cup sliced or chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup diced onions (1 small onion)
24 black olives, chopped (about 1/2 can) [I skip them and add a couple
of handfuls of loose-pack frozen corn kernels instead]
1/2 cup salsa (whatever kind you like, mild or spicy)
2oz shredded cheese

Spray a casserole with nonstick spray. Cover the bottom with
chip pieces, then layer in chicken, peppers, onions and olives. [Mix
the chicken and veggies, then layer it with a few plain tortillas
instead of putting all the tortilla in the bottom of the container.)
Cover with the salsa and top with the cheese. Microwave 3-4
minutes to heat through and melt the cheese. [Of course it will take
longer to nuke if it's not thawed. I suggest thawing first. Serve with
extra salsa and sour cream of whatever variety you prefer. I bet
this'd be pretty darn good with a big glass of gazpacho during tomato
season.]

And my freeze-ahead question in return.... can I freeze egg rolls? I
have somehow managed to acquire all the goodies to make the wonderful
baked egg rolls from _Vegetarian Times_, but I'd prefer to do one huge
batch and preferably thaw and bake as needed. Anyone tried it and have
opinions? (Yes, I know there are commercial frozen egg rolls, but
commercial freezing's just a tad different than my little bitty one.)

Dreamer

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

MichelleA9 wrote:
> anywhere close by, we finally wised up and started cooking & freezing
> a couple months ago; and it IS the best idea since sliced bread!
> We've got a handful of entree recipes that lend themselves really
> well to this treatment -- yield in # of servings (now) is calculated
> for adults, not the usual imaginary family of four including
> two-point-two children of unspecified age & appetite -- which we'd
> be delighted to share.* Needless to say, we're constantly
> on the lookout for more.

Someone else may have mentioned this, please excuse me if I am repeating
but my server doesn't get all the messages. And I am cross-posting this
to alt.support.childfree which I do not read, but which Michelle
mentioned. Please forgive me if this is inappropriate.

If you are looking for recipes, freezer tips, bulk cooking tips, etc.,
be sure to check out the Once A Month Cooking home page at this address:
http://members.aol.com/oamcloop/index.html

There is also an OAMC email discussion group (info can be found at the
above page), where your recipes would be appreciated. The group is made
of people from all walks of life - singles, married, with children,
child-free, and purple polka-dotted. (That's me! :-) The thrust of the
group is really 'Cooking Ahead', not necessarily doing it once a month.
Many people (like me) simply double or triple recipes, putting the
extras in the freezer. Lots of good recipes and suggestions flow
through the group.

As for being sprog-free...sometimes I look in envy at my brother-in-law
and his wife. I think, how nice it must be, how QUIET! :-) But, each
to their own. Although I often threaten to sell them to a band of
roving gypsies, I do love the little mugwumps.

MichelleA9

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Turkey & Black Bean Chili

Recipe By : Mike & Michelle
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:40

1 Pound Ground Turkey
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 each jalapeno pepper -- fresh, seeded & minc
3 each garlic cloves -- crushed
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
28 ounces tomato sauce -- canned
64 ounces black beans, cooked -- canned

In large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook turkey, onion, celery, carrot,
jalapeno & garlic, breaking
up chunks of meat with a wooden spoon, 6 minutes or until meat is no longer
pink. Drain off any liquid.
Transfer mixture to a large pot.
Drain & rinse black beans.
Add chili powder, cumin & salt; cook & stir over medium heat 1 minutes. Stir
in tomato sauce, 1 to 1-1/2
cans water, & black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered
about 30 minutes (or
more), stirring occasionally, until flavors have blended.
Consider serving with tortilla chips.
To freeze: 1-1/2 cups per person for dinner servings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Try serving with tortilla chips or cornbread.

NOTES : Try half turkey, half spicy Italian sausage or ground beef; or all
ground beef; or all diced
chicken breast meat; or substitute kidney beans...

-- Michelle

MichelleA9

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Chicken Curry

Recipe By : Mike & Michelle

Serving Size : 11 Preparation Time :3:15

3 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts -- cubed
2 1/2 large yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 each carrot
3 tablespoons oil

When ready to serve:
cooked rice
condiments:
marinated onion (see below)
peanuts (chopped)
raisins
coconut
grapes
yogurt
chutney
sliced limes

Trim & cube the chicken breasts. Peel the onions & dice them finely. Heat the
oil in a large kettle over
medium-low fire & throw in the onions. Cook them until they start turning
golden brown around the
edges. Peel & slice the garlic & throw it in. Peel the carrot, grate in all
up with the finer part of the
grater, and throw it in. Now throw in the meat. Sprinkle it with salt, then
with the curry powder, chili
powder & cayenne.
Cover & cook over low heat for at least 2 hours. Check it after half an hour.
Enough liquid should have
cooked out of the meat to almost cover it. If it hasn't, add some boiling
water.
Stir everything together.
At the end of 2 hours, or even 3 if you like, taste the curry for seasoning.
If you like it hotter, add more
cayenne, but add it in very small amounts because it's extremely potent.
Serve this with boiled rice (or with a risotto). One or more of the following
condiments may be used:
sliced limes; roasted, chopped peanuts or almonds; raisins and coconut; finely
chopped onion marinated
in oil (3 parts) & vinegar (1 part) sprinkled with cayenne; green seedless
grapes; chutney; plain yogurt.
NOTES : 2 servings (2 adults 1 dinner) = 1.5 cups (rice not included of course)
(This is a BIG favorite at our house so we usually double this recipe; it
freezes very happily, and the
marinated onions just keep marinating away in the fridge)

-- Michelle

Barbara Easton

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

miche...@aol.com (MichelleA9) wrote:
Michelle, I really enjoyed your post! I'm a parent but realize that
others would have a perfectly WONDERFUL life without them. I, too,
detest restaurants crawling with bawling sprogs(never heard that word
before). When my kids were small and acting up in a restaurant either
my husband or I would bite the bullet and take the offender to the
car. It wasn't much fun in the short run but I don't recall having to
do it more than twice.

Please continue to let the world know those who choose not to have
children have full, happy lives. I love my children but parenting has
lots of down sides and is way overrated as an end-all to fulfillment.

I'll bet that the majority of the parents at that high school reunion
were worrying about what their little darlings were up to at home.

>The Brown Family <rcb...@humboldt1.com> wrote:
>
>>Gee Michelle,
>>I have a ton of recipes for OAMC but since I have sprogs I guess you
>>don't want them (the recipes that is). My family is two, actually three
>>now adults, one teenager and one child. Somehow I manage to adapt
>>recipes to our family, who sometimes are not all home to eat anyway.
>>
>>Funny thing, at my high school reunion (20th), all my best friend from
>>high school could talk about was not having any kids and did I think she
>>would be sorry, biological time clock ticking and all. Another friend
>>missed reunion because she was pregnant with her first, after hearing
>>how they weren't going to have kids every time we saw them!
>>
>>Cheryl B.
>

>Aw, sh-t... <long, weary sigh>
>
>Excuse me a moment while I debate whether to even enter into this conversation.
>
>Okay. I posted this message originally on alt.support.childfree, where it was
>actually off-topic but welcomed. A friend there suggested I also cross-post it
>here. I contemplated cross-posting it in its original form (the one you saw) &
>identifying it as a cross-post; then I decided that the humorous references
>therein would probably provoke knee-jerk responses like yours, which would be
>too much like what those of us who don't enjoy children get treated to all the
>time out there in the world, and I frankly didn't feel like dealing with it
>here, too. So, since the humor really wasn't relevant to the post anyway, I
>edited it out.
>
>Obviously as I switched files back and forth in Word, I selected & pasted in
>the wrong file. What can I say? It was late. I was tired. SO sorry to
>offend your tender sensibilities by erroneously including humorous references
>that might indicate that not everyone in the world shares your enjoyment of
>screaming children in restaurants, or wants 2.2 of their own. I received
>e-mail from other mcfl browsers with kids asking for my handful of favorite
>recipes, so I guess not ALL parents were mortally offended... Whatever. Maybe
>THEY just had the sense to realize that recipes in and of themselves aren't
>"tainted" by the political beliefs, lifestyle choices, religion or hair color
>of the last person who followed them. Sheesh.
>
>Still shaking my head,
>Michelle

It's not that life is too short, it's just that death is so long.
Barbara Easton
Clifton Park, New York 12065

Bulll001

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

>A11...@ladder01.news.aol.com>

> Chicken Curry
>
>Recipe By : Mike & Michelle
>Serving Size : 11 Preparation Time :3:15
>
> 3 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts -- cubed

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to try them out.
jeff

Merry Stahel

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

The one time my child acted up in a store - she was promptly taken out
and spanked (I know - child abuse, yadda, yadda, yadda). She threw
herself on the floor, drumming her heels and screaming at the top of
her lungs because I wouldn't buy her Valentine Barbie. I swatted her
butt right there in the store and then took her out to the car to sit
- while DH and the other child shopped long enough to teach her a
lesson (Sissy had fun shopping and rattled on about when she got out
to the car).

The child has never acted up again and she's 17 now.

Every Friday night, from the time they were about 3 years old, I
dressed them in nice clothes, set the table with the crystal, china
and LIT candles - and we had Restaurant Night. They practiced and
learned the proper behavior in a restaurant, until we thought it was
acceptable to take them out. And they still act proper, even if the
restaurant is MacDonalds.

I tend to agree with Michele - if parents take their kids out - it is
the parents responsibility to make sure the child behaves in an
acceptable social manner.

BTW, I've never heard this "sprog" thing and I really love it - so do
my kids. So, where'd it come from? Is it short for "sprout" and
"frog" - or what?

Merry, has children by my own choice, but love the people who are
child-free, because they have the gumption to stick up for their
rights!

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 13:41:39 GMT, in misc.consumers.frugal-living you
wrote:

>miche...@aol.com (MichelleA9) wrote:
> I, too,
>detest restaurants crawling with bawling sprogs(never heard that word
>before). When my kids were small and acting up in a restaurant either
>my husband or I would bite the bullet and take the offender to the
>car. It wasn't much fun in the short run but I don't recall having to
>do it more than twice.
>
>Please continue to let the world know those who choose not to have

>children have full, happy lives. <snipped>

Merry Stahel, Editor, CALICO TRAILS
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania - wish it was the West!!
sta...@ezonline.com
http://members.aol.com/hfur/calindex.html

L.I. Endell

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Merry Stahel (sta...@ezonline.com) wrote:

: BTW, I've never heard this "sprog" thing and I really love it - so do

: my kids. So, where'd it come from? Is it short for "sprout" and
: "frog" - or what?

Well, it's been a fairly standard UK term for years - I have, with
friends, referred to people we know who have "sprogged", i.e. produced a
child. It's a less judgmental word than, say, 'ankle-biter'...

Linz

--
Lindsay Endell li...@cam.ac.uk & li...@earthling.net
Conference Administrator, Trinity Hall, Cambridge CB2 1TJ

Bill & Shannon Bodenstein

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

I have to say it is actually kids in restaurants that got my husband and
I started on this "frugal thing" about a year and a half ago. We went
out to eat at a restaurant every Saturday and Sunday. We got so tired
of spending $20 or more for marginally good food and to be aggravated by
someone else's children. I've seen kids literally running through the
restaurant, chasing each other, with the parents still sitting at their
table not even watching. I saw one kid throw toys and food, hitting
both his father AND the waitress numerous times. On and on. We finally
decided it was much more fun to spend less than $10 on a very nice home
cooked meal and enjoy the sanity.

BTW, we are two child-free adults who have now decided to have a child.
However, I still stick by my opinions about children's behavior, both in
public and at home, and you'd better believe I'll raise my child to be
considerate of others. I have nothing but respect for a parent who
makes sure his or her child behaves, even if for a while it puts them on
the child's bad side. Parents are teachers and role models first, the
kid's friend second. -- Shannon

Jody Sumrall

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

In article <69o49g$1h8$1...@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>, li...@cus.cam.ac.uk (L.I.
Endell) wrote:

> Merry Stahel (sta...@ezonline.com) wrote:
>
> : BTW, I've never heard this "sprog" thing and I really love it - so do
> : my kids. So, where'd it come from? Is it short for "sprout" and
> : "frog" - or what?
>
> Well, it's been a fairly standard UK term for years - I have, with
> friends, referred to people we know who have "sprogged", i.e. produced a
> child. It's a less judgmental word than, say, 'ankle-biter'...
>
> Linz

It comes from, as I understand it, the British Navy. Sprogs are young
and/or new sailors. It has evolved from that beginning to refer to children
as well.

Jody

Merry Stahel

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

My DH and I sort of collect unusual references to kids - my father
always called us the Hanyaks (don't ask me and that's pronounced with
an "o" sound like Han as in Han Solo).

One of our favorites is "linoleum lizards" and "curtain climbers" for
the toddling set.

Of course, right now - my kids think I prefer to call them "slave,"
since every time I ask them to do soemthing, they whine about being my
slave - so that's what I call 'em. <g>

Merry

On 16 Jan 1998 17:10:08 GMT, li...@cus.cam.ac.uk (L.I. Endell) wrote:

>Merry Stahel (sta...@ezonline.com) wrote:
>
>: BTW, I've never heard this "sprog" thing and I really love it - so do
>: my kids. So, where'd it come from? Is it short for "sprout" and
>: "frog" - or what?
>
>Well, it's been a fairly standard UK term for years - I have, with
>friends, referred to people we know who have "sprogged", i.e. produced a
>child. It's a less judgmental word than, say, 'ankle-biter'...
>
>Linz
>

>--
>Lindsay Endell li...@cam.ac.uk & li...@earthling.net
>Conference Administrator, Trinity Hall, Cambridge CB2 1TJ

Merry Stahel, Editor, CALICO TRAILS

muls...@sp2n09.missouri.edu

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Merry Stahel (sta...@ezonline.com) wrote:

: Of course, right now - my kids think I prefer to call them "slave,"

: since every time I ask them to do soemthing, they whine about being my
: slave - so that's what I call 'em. <g>

My dad took up a phrase from "On Golden Pond,"

"What's the use of having a dwarf if it doesn't do chores?"

So when he needed me to do something, he'd call in his DEEP voice,
"DWARF!"

Given that I was 5'8" by the time I was 13, this was a family joke.

Sara V.

Ilene Bilenky

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Aw, and the poster was doing *so well* giving good info..

JSchadeck

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

> I tend to agree with Michele - if parents take their kids out - it is
> the parents responsibility to make sure the child behaves in an
> acceptable social manner.

The first time we took our first son to a restaurant he was very tiny. A
very elderly woman sitting nearby in a fur coat and lots of jewelry
leaned over towards him and blew a big rasberry. We didn't know what to
think but took it as complementary. We always removed our kids when
they got ancy for a breather outside and brought them back. Gradually
they got used to the environment. Luckily they didn't get rebelious and
cause a scene. But that was because we considered their attention span
and treated it as a learning process.

Mary Frances King

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

I'm a grandmother now, but I raised 7 children & always enjoyed eating
out with them...from their earliest ages. I remember taking a 3 1/2, 2
& 1 year old out to lunch & then grocery shopping & thinking is was FUN.
(I wasn't demented...I don't think...but I was young & energetic)!!

For you young mothers, the answer is to _never_ tolerate rude or
obnoxious behavior in public. Take them home (or outside if you have
another adult along who can fill in). Being a child is only
temporary...if these little persons don't learn to act civilized &
considerate of others while they are young, it will be hard for them to
learn it when they are adults, and will make it hard for them to be
happy & successful.

I still love going out to lunch with my daughters. They are some of the
nicesst women I know. Mary Frances. :-)

Mary Frances King mfk...@webtv.net

Bev Or Mike

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Merry Stahel wrote:

> My DH and I sort of collect unusual references to kids - my father
> always called us the Hanyaks (don't ask me and that's pronounced with
> an "o" sound like Han as in Han Solo).

My husband used to call our kids drape apes.

John C. Dechon

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

But did any of you SAY anything to the parents or kids? Probably not, so
those stupid "parents" go on their merry way doing it again in some other
restaurant. Nothing was taught or learned in that case. If the kids can
make noise disturbing you, why can't you make noise complaining about it,
if to no one else but the manager? Why let the bums get away with it?

I have admonished running/noisy kids to stop what they're doing,
and often, it's right in front of their so-called parents. It's pretty
embarrassing for them but I don't have time nor the inclination to be
concerned about their shame...I encourage it...if they had
been doing their job supervising their little animals, nothing would have
been said in the first place. Sometimes, parents get upset and argue with
me but then I take license to really let them have it, in no uncertain
terms, since THEY were the ones causing the problem, then just walk
off....they won't forget THAT little trip to the supermarket or
restaurant for a long time.

What's great about this is that the employees can't say much, but
another customer CAN. The "parents" can't complain to the manager because
(1) they don't have a leg to stand on and (2) I'm another customer, their
"equal" if you will, not an employee afraid of losing a job. Besides,
I'm not there to listen to some brats and/or their poor excuses for
parents...it's a public service, really.

Life is for learning...say something or the idiots wil think EVERYONE
has the same kind of kids and poor parenting "skills" if for no other
reason than you condone such disgraceful behavior (by both kids AND
parents) by keeping silent. You have a right to eat/shop in peace and
quiet, so don't let the bums get away with violating your rights. Of
course, if you have a problem being outspoken, like most people, this is
not for you, but I have been less and less inclined to ignore this kind
of crap as I get older...maybe I saw too much of it in our public zoos
(I mean schools..."excellence in education"...the public school system
has NO idea what that means, nor do they achieve it, not even close).

John Dechon
El Paso, TX

Jean P Nance

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

Shannon: I wish you all the best with your children. BUT, my
experience with my own children and grandchildren leads me to be
a little doubtful of your good intentions. My children, as baby
sitting teens, as a teacher, a nurses aid, etc. had very definite
ideas as to how children should behave. One even referred to
children as "house apes", etc. However, once they had the little
dears in their arms, all bets were off. THESE children were so
marvelous, so beautiful, so special, so sensitive, that they could
do nothing but treat them with every love and consideration. And,
they rapidly became, and remain, patient servants to youngsters
who easily took on the role of masters and mistresses. Their
children are probably better behaved than some, but I admit I
have sat in embarrasment while my grandchildren made scenes in
restaurants, and once was horrified in a library to realize that
the shrieking kid being led into a library was my own grandson,
who was 4 or 5, much too old to be allowed to behave like that.
Have I said anything to any of my children or their spouses
about this? Absolutely not! Useless, and certain to strain
family relationships beyond repair.

MichelleA9

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

ah...@rgfn.epcc.edu (John C. Dechon) wrote:

>But did any of you SAY anything to the parents or kids? Probably not, so
>those stupid "parents" go on their merry way doing it again in some other
>restaurant. Nothing was taught or learned in that case.

<snip>

>John Dechon
>El Paso, TX

IMO, you're absolutely right, John -- and thanks for the "reality check"!

(In the case of our local restaurant the boisterous, "in-your-face" kids are
the property of the waitress on duty and/or her rellies who hang out through
her shift to "keep her company" -- no manager in sight.) (Poor parenting at one
level, poor hiring at another!)

Though actually in this case I figure we've benefited by this situation... our
cooking sure is better than the restaurant's... and our budget certainly isn't
complaining, either.

(And yes, I _do_ know I'm merely rationalizing not having the cahones [sp?] for
confrontation. Someday I'll probably just go postal and start pelting some
deliberately oblivious parent with mushy peas and lukewarm mashed potatoes.
Meanwhile, we fill the freezer.)

I _do_, however, have enough whatchamacallits to loudly thank people like you
when you confront such situations, for whatever it's worth!

-- Michelle

Merry Stahel

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

I flat out told both my sisters their children were brats, as did my
mother. It DID cause strained relationships for a while - but in the
end - both of thm started taking back their lives and started
disciplining the brats.

Especially after strangers would come up to us as a group and
compliment me on my well-behaved children. How'd they know which ones
were mine?

I ALWAYS had their hand in my pocket (I wore jeans with back pockets
for years, and their hands had to be gripping the pocket in stores,
parking lots and any public place). They weren't running around like
whirling dervishes and being devils in public.

I think my sister finally realised she was responsible for the kid's
behavior when he was acting up at the New Orleans Zoo and fell into
the alligator pit. Fortunately, it was empty for cleaning (although
we didn't know that at the time) - but she was terrified and I had to
hang heels down to drag him out.

A stranger came up and lectured both of us about watching our kids and
how he could have been seriously hurt - and although Sis didn't take
it well - that was the determining factor - especially since my two
were sitting on the bench being good.

Merry

On 17 Jan 1998 07:19:48 GMT, jp...@prairienet.org (Jean P Nance)
wrote:

<snipped>

> And,
>they rapidly became, and remain, patient servants to youngsters
>who easily took on the role of masters and mistresses. Their
>children are probably better behaved than some, but I admit I
>have sat in embarrasment while my grandchildren made scenes in
>restaurants, and once was horrified in a library to realize that
>the shrieking kid being led into a library was my own grandson,
>who was 4 or 5, much too old to be allowed to behave like that.
> Have I said anything to any of my children or their spouses
>about this? Absolutely not! Useless, and certain to strain
>family relationships beyond repair.
>--

Merry Stahel, Editor, CALICO TRAILS

John C. Dechon

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

> -- Michelle

Thank you...it's worth a lot.

I'm not a "macho man," don't look to criticize people in public, don't look
to get into any fist-fight over the problem, but I just can't keep quiet and
won't back down/be intimidated, either, since I think it's important to
speak up about these things. And because I know I'm right, I am prepared to
take my chances. So far, no one's gotten hurt, just embarrassed, but if they
really insisted on fighting, I'd defend myself. Anyway, I know I feel a lot
better by saying something.
John D.

Jane Benn

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

muls...@sp2n09.missouri.edu wrote:

> Merry Stahel (sta...@ezonline.com) wrote:
>
> : Of course, right now - my kids think I prefer to call them "slave,"
> : since every time I ask them to do soemthing, they whine about being my
> : slave - so that's what I call 'em. <g>
>
> My dad took up a phrase from "On Golden Pond,"
>
> "What's the use of having a dwarf if it doesn't do chores?"

My mother always said "It's no use keeping a dog and barking yourself"

when referring to children doing chores.

--

Jane

If a man is talking in the woods, and no woman hears him,
is he still wrong?

Jane Benn

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98
to Bill & Shannon Bodenstein

There are a few tips to make your life easier.

First, try not to take your child into a restaurant if he is overtired
and cranky.

When they're very young, they can get upset because they're hungry. So
the minute the waitress comes, ask her to warm the bottle/baby food, or
if your child is old enough, ask her to bring a roll or something to get
the child started. Then and only then should you consider ordering.
Believe me, if you explain the problem, the waitress will be grateful
for your consideration.

Another trick is in the seating arrangements. Always seat children who
are too young to sit still willingly where they have to pass an adult to
get up from the table.

These are not meant as substitutes to teaching your child proper
behaviour, merely tricks to make enforcing it easier.

Bill & Shannon Bodenstein wrote:

> BTW, we are two child-free adults who have now decided to have a child.
> However, I still stick by my opinions about children's behavior, both in
> public and at home, and you'd better believe I'll raise my child to be
> considerate of others. I have nothing but respect for a parent who
> makes sure his or her child behaves, even if for a while it puts them on
> the child's bad side.

My brother once spanked his 1 1/2 year old daughter in the middle of a
Woolco store. After that, she believed him when he said further bad
behaviour would earn her a punishment. Mind you, he said people looked
at him as if he was abusive (it couldn't have really hurt through the
diaper), but it was his job to see she grew up properly, and he couldn't
let their opinions deter him. This attitude on the part of both him and
his wife applied to all disciplinary matters.

He has four well-behaved children (12 through 21) who are all doing well
at school, help around the house without undue coercion, and are
pleasant to be around. And they get along great with their parents!

So it is possible to instill discipline without permanent ill effects on
the child/parent relationship.

MichelleA9

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

I *really* need to get off AOL and get me a *real* ISP!

The first post in this thread was my "virgin" post to mcfl. Not to rehash, but
the "welcome" was a little blistering because I made a pejorative reference to
ill-behaved children in restaurants.

... Well, so I fired off my sarcastic response to the one-woman "sprog"
backlash and went away to lick my wounds, figuring mcfl was just one more venue
where the childfree were generally only marginally welcome... and that only so
long as we were "in the closet" about it and silently accepted our second-class
status.

After getting some very nice e-mails from people (actually I think all of them
identified themselves as parents but maintained tactful silence on the
"controversy") requesting recipes, I decided not to be {ahem} childish (i.e.
sulking), and to go ahead and post the recipes (as I got them coherent enough
for others to follow them). I popped back in a few days ago to post a couple.
AOL blithely informed me that there were no unread posts in the thread.

Tonight it said the same thing again, but since misbehavior on AOL's part with
regard to newsgroups has been a topic of conversation at alt.support.childfree
all week, and since I've (also) had some e-mail lost/deleted/delayed by AOL the
past week or two, I called up "all" posts, not just "unread" -- and discovered
that several nice, thoughtful people (many of them parents, in fact) had
responded in a friendly, almost downright welcoming manner... Apparently AOL
had decided, in its infinite capriciousness, that I was only going to see the
nasty message when it was posted (and also not the author's subsequent
apology).

So, it's MUCH nicer to be here this week than it was last week. Thanks to you
folks who posted kind words, and I'd have responded sooner if I'd seen them
sooner!

I'll post more recipes as I get more tested and typed so they make sense to
anyone but me... meanwhile, c'mon, surely SOMEone else out there has some
favorites too? (And thanks!!! Dreamer for the info on the OAMC sites -- I
wasn't aware there was a whole "movement" out there -- the first I'd seen the
initials was Cheryl's original response to my post, and somehow I wasn't gonna
just respond with, "Huh? What's OAMC?" : )

And anyone else who's also on AOL, if you didn't already know it, don't assume
you're seeing all there is to see... or for that matter that all your posts get
where you send them!

-- Michelle

Boparr

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

True, I posted a message on AOL last weekend but it didn't show up until about
Weds. and then they sent three copies. Through the week I often drop in to read
MCFL during my breaks and lunch from work, I have many more postings than I do
on AOL and also my postings show up immediately.

Bonnie (bop...@aol.com and bonni...@urs.org)

WendiEliot

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

>Apparently AOL
>had decided, in its infinite capriciousness, that I was only going to see the
>nasty message when it was posted (and also not the author's subsequent
>apology

Hmmmm......as you can see, I use AOL also, and I've been able to follow the
entire posted history of this thread.
"God and the Devil reward surrender..." Tim and Noel Finn

Cyndi Peters

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98
to MichelleA9

After wading through all of this online war crap, I still have not seen he original
posts of your recipes (which is why I checked this thread int he first place!).
Would you be so kind as to email them to me? clpe...@ix.netcom.com TIA

MichelleA9 wrote:

> I *really* need to get off AOL and get me a *real* ISP!
>
> The first post in this thread was my "virgin" post to mcfl. Not to rehash, but
> the "welcome" was a little blistering because I made a pejorative reference to
> ill-behaved children in restaurants.
>
> ... Well, so I fired off my sarcastic response to the one-woman "sprog"
> backlash and went away to lick my wounds, figuring mcfl was just one more venue
> where the childfree were generally only marginally welcome... and that only so
> long as we were "in the closet" about it and silently accepted our second-class
> status.
>
> After getting some very nice e-mails from people (actually I think all of them
> identified themselves as parents but maintained tactful silence on the
> "controversy") requesting recipes, I decided not to be {ahem} childish (i.e.
> sulking), and to go ahead and post the recipes (as I got them coherent enough
> for others to follow them). I popped back in a few days ago to post a couple.
> AOL blithely informed me that there were no unread posts in the thread.
>
> Tonight it said the same thing again, but since misbehavior on AOL's part with
> regard to newsgroups has been a topic of conversation at alt.support.childfree
> all week, and since I've (also) had some e-mail lost/deleted/delayed by AOL the
> past week or two, I called up "all" posts, not just "unread" -- and discovered
> that several nice, thoughtful people (many of them parents, in fact) had

> responded in a friendly, almost downright welcoming manner... Apparently AOL

> had decided, in its infinite capriciousness, that I was only going to see the
> nasty message when it was posted (and also not the author's subsequent

> apology).
>
> So, it's MUCH nicer to be here this week than it was last week. Thanks to you
> folks who posted kind words, and I'd have responded sooner if I'd seen them
> sooner!
>
> I'll post more recipes as I get more tested and typed so they make sense to
> anyone but me... meanwhile, c'mon, surely SOMEone else out there has some
> favorites too? (And thanks!!! Dreamer for the info on the OAMC sites -- I
> wasn't aware there was a whole "movement" out there -- the first I'd seen the
> initials was Cheryl's original response to my post, and somehow I wasn't gonna
> just respond with, "Huh? What's OAMC?" : )
>

> And anyone else who's also on AOL, if you didn't already know it, don't assume
> you're seeing all there is to see... or for that matter that all your posts get
> where you send them!
>

> -- Michelle

Garnet1960

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

>>Apparently AOL
>>had decided, in its infinite capriciousness, that I was only going to see
>the
>>nasty message when it was posted (and also not the author's subsequent
>>apology
>
>Hmmmm......as you can see, I use AOL also, and I've been able to follow the
>entire posted history of this thread.

I can attest to the original poster's dilemma. For several days now, AOL has
been quite stingy with the posts that I receive. I read 2 other NGs and I'm
getting very few posts from the other two, as well. I'm getting replies to
posts and not getting the originals. One of the other NGs usually has 50-100
posts a day. I'm getting about half of them. Sigh.

Regina

ObFrugal: There is generally no need to lather, rinse, and repeat when you
shampoo. One wash with a small amount of diluted shampoo gets the job done
quite nicely.

Jane Benn

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98
to clpe...@ix.netcom.com

You can always do a search in Dejanews if you can't get the posts from
your own server. Since most servers don't keep anything through my
vacation, that's what I usually do when I return.

MichelleA9

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

wendi...@aol.com (WendiEliot) wrote:

>Hmmmm......as you can see, I use AOL also, and I've been able to follow the
>entire posted history of this thread.

>"God and the Devil reward surrender..." Tim and Noel Finn

Okay.
Do you pay extra?
Are you sleeping with Steve Case?
'Fess up and SHARE, for goodness' sake!

-- Michelle [don't MAKE us resort to *desperate* measures to drag your secret
out of you! ; ) ]
-- Michelle

linda-renee

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

MichelleA9 wrote:

> I *really* need to get off AOL and get me a *real* ISP!

Try any or all of these sites to help you off the horror that is AOL and
onto a real ISP:

http://www.halcyon.com/angel/why.htm
http://thelist.internet.com/
http://www.currents.net/resources/ispsearch/
http://www.thedirectory.org/
http://www.celestin.com/pocia/
http://www.herbison.com/herbison/iap_meta_list.html

HTH.

--
Linda

"I can't believe that we are going to let a majority of the people
decide what's best for this state." LA State Rep J. Travis

Tom E Arnold

Jan 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/25/98

MichelleA9 wrote:

> We've got a handful of entree recipes that lend
> themselves really well to this
> treatment -- yield in # of servings (now) is calculated for adults, not the
> usual imaginary family of four
> including two-point-two children of unspecified age & appetite -- which we'd be
> delighted to
> share.*

My imaginary family of eleven includes eight people under the age of
twenty (is he still a child if at nineteen he is awaiting medical
benefits on his new job kicking in so he can get married?) and generally
we figure a recipe should be adjusted to make twenty servings so we get
one meal plus the next day's noshing from it.

TEA/

Marion Bon

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

sta...@ezonline.com (Merry Stahel) wrote:

::My DH and I sort of collect unusual references to kids - my father
::always called us the Hanyaks (don't ask me and that's pronounced with
::an "o" sound like Han as in Han Solo).

::
::One of our favorites is "linoleum lizards" and "curtain climbers" for
::the toddling set.
::
::Of course, right now - my kids think I prefer to call them "slave,"

::since every time I ask them to do soemthing, they whine about being my
::slave - so that's what I call 'em. <g>

I call mine "kidlets" and "trooplets" given that they're
still fairly small. I'll have to come up with something
else when they're older.

rgds Marion

MichelleA9

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

Swiss Chicken

Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :1:25

30 large chicken breast halves without skin -- halved lengthwise
2 sticks butter
1 1/4 cups flour
1 quart cream
2 pounds Swiss cheese
4 cans chicken broth
1 teaspoon thyme
4 each bay leaf

Rinse chicken & dry with paper towels. Put half the butter in a skillet and
brown the chicken about 3
minutes on each side over medium heat, being careful to watch for scorching.
Pour cream into a saucepan, bring to a boil and boil slowly over medium heat
until it's reduced to about
2/3 of its original volume. Put the stock into another saucepan, add the thyme
and bay leaf and bring it to
a simmer.
Now, in a saucepan, heat the rest of the butter till it sizzles. Add the flour
and cook for 2 minutes over
low heat stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Pour the reduced, heated
cream in slowly and beat
briskly with a wire whisk. Add the hot stock and do the same. Stir over low
heat for about 5 minutes.
Grate the cheese.
As the chicken breasts are browned, arrange them in a single layer in the
freezer containers.
Divide the sauce between the freezer containers, spooning evenly over the
browned chicken pieces.
Divide the grated cheese likewise, sprinkling over top of the sauce.
The original recipe (not assuming dish will be frozen) calls for baking
uncovered in a 350 degree
Fahreheit oven for 35 minutes, then raising temperature to 450 for 10 minutes
more to brown the cheese.
I always found this to be too long by at LEAST 10 minutes. We find the chicken
stays more moist if we
let it thaw, then just microwave it until the cheese is bubbling nicely.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : It's best to have flat freezer containers ready of dimensions which
will fit inside the pan you plan
to reheat this in... or use microwaveable flat freezer containers and microwave
rather than baking
altogether.

-- Michelle

Jennifer Gadd/David Nelson

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

We've always called our girls Moon Unit 1 and Moon Unit 2. There will be no
more satellites!
Jennifer

Marie Braden

Jan 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/31/98

My Mum used to refer to me as her "dog"ter, because she always made me
go "fetch" stuff for her

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:51:52 GMT, mb...@bigfoot.com (Marion Bon) wrote:

>sta...@ezonline.com (Merry Stahel) wrote:
>
>::My DH and I sort of collect unusual references to kids - my father
>::always called us the Hanyaks (don't ask me and that's pronounced with
>::an "o" sound like Han as in Han Solo).
>::
>::One of our favorites is "linoleum lizards" and "curtain climbers" for
>::the toddling set.
>::
>::Of course, right now - my kids think I prefer to call them "slave,"
>::since every time I ask them to do soemthing, they whine about being my
>::slave - so that's what I call 'em. <g>
>

>I call mine "kidlets" and "trooplets" given that they're
>still fairly small. I'll have to come up with something
>else when they're older.
>
>rgds Marion

If dreams give you power, then I'm strong enough.
---Reba McEntire (Till You Love Me)

Bob Hale

Jan 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/31/98

Jennifer Gadd/David Nelson wrote:

> We've always called our girls Moon Unit 1 and Moon Unit 2. There will be no
> more satellites!
> Jennifer
>
> Marion Bon wrote:
>
> > I call mine "kidlets" and "trooplets" given that they're
> > still fairly small. I'll have to come up with something
> > else when they're older.
> >
> > rgds Marion

Jennifer Zappa I presume;-) Moon Unit and what was Zappa's boy's name?
--

Bob

Mac-N-Stuff Used Macintosh Computers, Monitors, Peripherals.
Use our links to pricing used Apple/Macintosh computers and monitors.
http://www.macnstuff.com E-mail b...@macnstuff.com

TriciaTn

Jan 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/31/98

Bob inquired:

>Jennifer Zappa I presume;-) Moon Unit and what was Zappa's >boy's name?

Dweezil.

Pat

NoBozo

Jan 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/31/98

Regarding the pet names we use for "kids"...I know someone who refers to
his two kids as "Famine" and "Pestulence" ;) Cracks me up every time.

Pooh

Jan 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/31/98

Bob wrote:
"Jennifer Zappa I presume;-) Moon Unit and what was Zappa's boy's name?"

Dweezel Zappa

Pooh

Diane Brunet

Jan 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/31/98

Bob Hale wrote:

> Jennifer Zappa I presume;-) Moon Unit and what was Zappa's boy's name?

> --
>
> Bob

Dweezil, named after his mother's little toe.

Diane Brunet

Merry Stahel

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

Aren't those two of the Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse?

Merry (Bible thumping minister's daughter showing through...<g>)

On Sat, 31 Jan 1998 15:17:31 -0800, NoBozo <NoB...@concentric.net>
wrote:

>Regarding the pet names we use for "kids"...I know someone who refers to
>his two kids as "Famine" and "Pestulence" ;) Cracks me up every time.

Merry Stahel, Editor, CALICO TRAILS

Nephela

Feb 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/4/98

Pooh wrote:

> Bob wrote:
> "Jennifer Zappa I presume;-) Moon Unit and what was Zappa's boy's name?"
>
> Dweezel Zappa
>
> Pooh

There's a younger brother too. At the moment I can't remember his name,
but both brothers are occassional DJ's for MtV. I believe the youngest
is also in a band.

-nephela

Marie Braden

Feb 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/5/98

Ahmet Rodan

On Wed, 04 Feb 1998 17:13:00 -0600, Nephela <ven...@midusa.net>
wrote:

If dreams give you power, then I'm strong enough.

Tom E Arnold

Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98

Garnet1960 wrote:

> ObFrugal: There is generally no need to lather, rinse, and repeat when you
> shampoo. One wash with a small amount of diluted shampoo gets the job done
> quite nicely.

This is another YMMV. With hair to my elbows and a factory job, lots of
cheap shampoo and a little bit of good conditioner (cut with vinigar and
water) is the only way to go.

TEA/