Rechargable batteries and information

john hamiliton

Jun 14, 2010, 10:50:35 AM6/14/10
My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no tomorrow.

Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four for
£10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA 850 mAh at
£5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at £14.99, which seems a big jump in proportional
price for another 150 mAh ? )

In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any extra
advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of Argos?

Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

nos...@ntlworld.com

Jun 14, 2010, 11:01:13 AM6/14/10

Hybrids are only really useful in devices that have a very low power
requirement or aren't used for long periods, as they retain charge
better than conventional NiMH. ISTR Lidl was pretty cheap for no-name
NiMH last time I looked.

Mr. Benn

Jun 14, 2010, 11:32:13 AM6/14/10
<nos...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Or even better, 7dayshop.com are usually the cheapest. I buy their own
brand AAs and AAAs for around �4 for a pack of 4. Watch out for retailers
selling lower capacity rechargeables.

Message has been deleted

newshound

Jun 14, 2010, 3:22:25 PM6/14/10

"CD" <n...@way.ok> wrote in message

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100, "john hamiliton"
> <blue...@mail.invalid> wrote:
>

>>Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
>>batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.
>

> Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around £2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
> have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
> various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
> for continued listening.

The thing I would strongly recommend is to get one of the slightly more
expensive chargers which senses and recharges individual cells. I get much
better life out of sets of (AA) batteries since I changed over to one of
them.

OG

Jun 14, 2010, 4:18:34 PM6/14/10

"john hamiliton" <blue...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

Hybrids are better than ordinary NiMH batteries because they provide a
slightly higher voltage for longer. As it's usually the drop off in voltage
that triggers the 'low battery' warning you may well find that a 850mAh
hybrid will be significantly better than a 1000mAh ordinary one, at least
that's what I've found with my digital camera.

As for where to buy them; Amazon has good prices (4x AAA uniross hybrio for
<�4 and free P&P )

Steve Terry

Jun 14, 2010, 5:41:28 PM6/14/10
"CD" <n...@way.ok> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100, "john hamiliton"
> <blue...@mail.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
>>batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.
>
> Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around �2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
> have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
> various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
> for continued listening.

For the money Lidl's Tronic brand NiMh cells are great, only problem
is it's anyone's guess when they are in stock.
My local lidl's have been out of stock of them for the last 6 months

Lots of hi capacity AAA on eBay such as:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-AAA-1800mAH-Ni-MH-Recycle-Rechargeable-Battery-Purple-/250608816716?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item3a5973124c

�3.28 for 8

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

Mr. Benn

Jun 15, 2010, 5:00:39 AM6/15/10
"newshound" <news...@fairadsl.co.uk> wrote in message

That's what I was about to suggest. These chargers prevent over- and
under-charging by sensing the voltage of each cell while they are being
charged.

Mr. Benn

Jun 15, 2010, 5:02:43 AM6/15/10
"OG" <ow...@gwynnefamily.org.uk> wrote in message

> "john hamiliton" <blue...@mail.invalid> wrote in message
>> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
>> tomorrow.
>>
>> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four for
>> �10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA 850 mAh
>> at �5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at �14.99, which seems a big jump in
>> proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
>>
>> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any extra
>> advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of Argos?
>>
>> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
>> rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.
>> Thanks.
>
> Hybrids are better than ordinary NiMH batteries because they provide a
> slightly higher voltage for longer. As it's usually the drop off in
> voltage that triggers the 'low battery' warning you may well find that a
> 850mAh hybrid will be significantly better than a 1000mAh ordinary one, at
> least that's what I've found with my digital camera.

Hybrids have slightly less capacity than regular NiMH batteries but lower
self-discharge rate and hence longer shelf life. For a DAB radio that's not
used infrequently, I'd be inclined to use regular cells.

OG

Jun 15, 2010, 2:03:05 PM6/15/10

"Mr. Benn" <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "OG" <ow...@gwynnefamily.org.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "john hamiliton" <blue...@mail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
>>> tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four
>>> for £10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA
>>> 850 mAh at £5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at £14.99, which seems a big jump in
>>> proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
>>>
>>> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any extra
>>> advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of Argos?
>>>
>>> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
>>> rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Hybrids are better than ordinary NiMH batteries because they provide a
>> slightly higher voltage for longer. As it's usually the drop off in
>> voltage that triggers the 'low battery' warning you may well find that a
>> 850mAh hybrid will be significantly better than a 1000mAh ordinary one,
>> at least that's what I've found with my digital camera.
>
> Hybrids have slightly less capacity than regular NiMH batteries but lower
> self-discharge rate and hence longer shelf life.

Ahem; it is also a characteristic that the voltage is higher for longer
during discharge, so they trigger the 'low battery' warning later than
standard NiMH cells.