My nephew wrote me for the first time!

Bill

Oct 13, 2009, 7:36:48 PM10/13/09
My 18 year old nephew wrote me a letter!

This is the very first time he has done this. He has never before written to
me, has never called me, nor has he ever written me a thank you note for the
gifts I have given him at Christmas time...

In his "form letter", he is asking for a $500.00 donation for a sports
program at his school!

He does get right to the point about the money. Does not waste any ink by
saying hello to me or asking how I am doing or telling me how he is doing.

He will not get a cent from me!

Maybe he will be offended and stop writing to me?

Max

Oct 14, 2009, 9:19:57 PM10/14/09

You should be more proud of your nephew competing in the Special
Olympics just like his favorite uncle.

sr

Oct 14, 2009, 10:39:36 PM10/14/09
Had to put my 2cents in
One of my sore spots.
You give and give and give some more, not a note of thanks. But, this is
also true of adults. I've had a couple of men come here to work on house,
no socks. I had a couple of new pairs, so , I handed over to them. They
were quick to put them on, but slow on the thank yous, still waiting.

Same with neighbor kids.

Same all the way around, I hear a lot of complaints from folks that expect a
thank you and never get one.
So it is an epidemic, I would say.

Guess what. It just slipped my mind to send BD gifts this year, probably
won't think to send any Christmas gifts.

It's the ME generation continuing, I expect.
Signing off as NO LONGER A "pattsi"
I'm feeling better about myself, all ready.

===========,
"Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

sr

Oct 14, 2009, 10:44:25 PM10/14/09
An afterthought:
I believe the government hand outs have conditioned many that we are an
entitlement society, therefore, no
"thanks", needs to be given. No "manners"! need to be displayed, after all
we are entitled, what is yours, is mine, don't you know?
==========

Zee

Oct 15, 2009, 4:20:21 AM10/15/09
I agree...seems like thank yous are rare commodities nowadays.

sr

Oct 15, 2009, 10:25:48 AM10/15/09
I'm in the process of picking over the stash of prebought gifts for family
kids, that will now be going
to a group home for kids without homes.
14 years of giving to family and no thank yous was the trigger.
When their great grandfather was in the dying process for 6 months, not a
single card nor call from
the kids, was another trigger.
When I get out of this state, I'll be leaving no forwarding address, !
so there will be no letters for contributions coming to me like the original
poster got from his nephew!
=================
"Zee" <zza...@gmail.com> wrote in message

sr

Oct 15, 2009, 12:08:37 PM10/15/09
My father spent 86 thousand dollars on my son's family, 43 to my son 43 to
the great grand kids.
What did my father get in return: No cards, No calls as he laid on his
death bed for 6 months.
Be glad the nephew only wants 500. Ofcourse there will be more request down
the line.
Snip it in the BUD, I say

"Max" <im.1.max...@xoxy.net> wrote in message

Bill

Oct 15, 2009, 12:34:15 PM10/15/09
"sr" wrote in message

> I'm in the process of picking over the stash of prebought gifts for family
> > kids, that will now be going
> to a group home for kids without homes.
> 14 years of giving to family and no thank yous was the trigger...

Actually thinking about this, when I was a kid, we would "butter someone up"
if we wanted something - sweet talk them, do nice things for them, etc. I
guess that is a thing of the past now?

As to needy kids, there is a "sharing Christmas tree" at my local small town
fire department. Needy kids place cards on the tree requesting presents. The
things these kids are asking for will break your heart! One will want new
shoes and that is it. Another will want a new T-shirt and that is all the
kid is asking for. Another socks, etc. Very basic requests!

sr

Oct 15, 2009, 5:17:37 PM10/15/09

Yes, My bank here in local town, use to have a tree for the kids Also for
school supplies,
However, it disappeared the last 2 years.
It was convenient for me to contribute to the cause.

I have a sneaky suspicion the adults were picking over the items before it
got to the
kids, so they did away with it.

As to the kids requesting a pair of shoes, that's not a small item, in
today's prices.
almost have to take a loan out. But shoes means so much.
Back when, I had a pair of shoes
that the leather soles were coming off, to the point the soles would bend
under and
trip me up so I had to laid my feet down very carefully!

The giving trees are in the city, so now, I have to travel out of town to
donate
.
The kids do not ask for much. That is true

. When I give clothing I include a small toy with that clothing.
Remembering back, I liked new clothes for Christmas, but it was the toy
that
captured me, being a kid.

I never buttered up anyone, didn't have that talent than, nor now.
Probably the reason
I didn't get the 86 thousand,mentioned in my post, my father left to
others.
and one
Reason - I am in the frugal living group looking for solutions. (place
smilling face here)
==========

Marsha

Oct 16, 2009, 8:26:41 PM10/16/09
Bill wrote:
> My 18 year old nephew wrote me a letter!
>
> This is the very first time he has done this. He has never before written to
> me, has never called me, nor has he ever written me a thank you note for the
> gifts I have given him at Christmas time...

It's time to stop sending him Christmas gifts, B-day gifts, etc. Bet
he'll notice. Also, what's wrong with his parents? Do they not tell
him that he needs to do this stuff, whether he wants to or not?

> In his "form letter", he is asking for a $500.00 donation for a sports
> program at his school!
>
> He does get right to the point about the money. Does not waste any ink by
> saying hello to me or asking how I am doing or telling me how he is doing.
>
> He will not get a cent from me!

Good for you.

> Maybe he will be offended and stop writing to me?

You can only hope.

Marsha

Marsha

Oct 16, 2009, 8:29:22 PM10/16/09
sr wrote:
> 14 years of giving to family and no thank yous was the trigger.
> When their great grandfather was in the dying process for 6 months, not a
> single card nor call from
> the kids, was another trigger.

What took you so long? You're an optimist, right?

Marsha

sr

Oct 17, 2009, 12:13:47 PM10/17/09
I was brought up with strong family convictions, it can be crippling.
But, I'm (guilt free,)
Ofcourse you have to have a conscience to feel "guilt"
====Another control devise used in my generation "guilt" along with a doze
of
fear.
I've shed the strings that binded me with my father's death, no more
obligations!
===============each person for themself, is my new moto===========
=====================still looking for unrestricted land=away from this
northern state========
any help is appreciated.

Rod Speed

Oct 17, 2009, 1:25:13 PM10/17/09
sr wrote:
> I was brought up with strong family convictions, it can be crippling.
> But, I'm (guilt free,)
> Ofcourse you have to have a conscience to feel "guilt"

Nope, just be well brainwashed enough. Thats what the roman catholic church does.