Contractors and the do-not-call list

The Real Bev

Apr 3, 2008, 3:29:44 PM4/3/08
I get at least one call per day from some home-improvement contracting
company -- not the same one, all different. I also get the occasional
recorded call from somebody probably offering loans by telling me
"there's a problem with my account."

Why do contractors feel they're exempt? Do they prey on the stupid who
don't know about the do-not-call list? Do they just not care?

Sometimes I try to get the name and phone number to report them, but I'm
pretty much sure that's a waste of my time. Way easier to just snarl at
them, even if I know it makes no difference.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Welcome to Hell, here's your accordion."

George Grapman

Apr 3, 2008, 3:35:43 PM4/3/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> I get at least one call per day from some home-improvement contracting
> company -- not the same one, all different. I also get the occasional
> recorded call from somebody probably offering loans by telling me
> "there's a problem with my account."
>
> Why do contractors feel they're exempt? Do they prey on the stupid who
> don't know about the do-not-call list? Do they just not care?
>
> Sometimes I try to get the name and phone number to report them, but I'm
> pretty much sure that's a waste of my time. Way easier to just snarl at
> them, even if I know it makes no difference.

I have posted details a will be happy to do it again bur basically if
the company is in your state and you can determine their location small
claims court is a great remedy.

ChairMan

Apr 3, 2008, 3:39:58 PM4/3/08
In news:efaJj.2904$7D1...@newsfe02.lga,
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com>spewed forth:

> I get at least one call per day from some home-improvement contracting
> company -- not the same one, all different. I also get the occasional
> recorded call from somebody probably offering loans by telling me
> "there's a problem with my account."
>
> Why do contractors feel they're exempt? Do they prey on the stupid
> who don't know about the do-not-call list? Do they just not care?
>
> Sometimes I try to get the name and phone number to report them, but
> I'm pretty much sure that's a waste of my time. Way easier to just
> snarl at them, even if I know it makes no difference.

even though I'm signed up with the DNC list, I believe it's just a feel good
deal.
I don't believe I've heard of anyone being sued over it or met anyone that
was DNC cop<g>
I still believe caller ID and a good whistle are better deterents<veg>

sarge137

Apr 3, 2008, 4:47:08 PM4/3/08
On Apr 3, 1:39 pm, "ChairMan" <w...@fu.com> wrote:
> Innews:efaJj.2904$7D1...@newsfe02.lga,
> The Real Bev <bashley101+use...@gmail.com>spewed forth:

> > I get at least one call per day from some home-improvement contracting
> > company -- not the same one, all different.  I also get the occasional
> > recorded call from somebody probably offering loans by telling me
> > "there's a problem with my account."
>
> > Why do contractors feel they're exempt?  Do they prey on the stupid
> > who don't know about the do-not-call list?  Do they just not care?
>
> > Sometimes I try to get the name and phone number to report them, but
> > I'm pretty much sure that's a waste of my time.  Way easier to just
> > snarl at them, even if I know it makes no difference.
>
> even though I'm signed up with the DNC list, I believe it's just a feel good
> deal.

You are correct. The FTC is responible for enforcing this, but they
give it little more than lip service. Don't count on government at
any level to take any meaningful action against violators.

> I still believe caller ID and a good whistle are better deterents<veg>

Right, again. This subject comes up with such frequency that it's not
possible to add any meaningful information to the discussion. Just
hang up, or don't answer in the first place. It ain't rocket science.

Regards,
Sarge

George Grapman

Apr 3, 2008, 4:51:02 PM4/3/08

sarge137

Apr 3, 2008, 5:24:27 PM4/3/08
On Apr 3, 2:51 pm, George Grapman <sfgeo...@paccbell.net> wrote:
> ChairMan wrote:
> > Innews:efaJj.2904$7D1...@newsfe02.lga,
> > The Real Bev <bashley101+use...@gmail.com>spewed forth:
> http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/11/ftc-rings-up--1.html- Hide quoted text -

Yes, George those all impressive reports the FTC put out - but they're
a drop in the bucket, almost anecdotal. Those were all carefully hand
picked cases, involving unsympathetic companies, with an extremely
high likelihood of success. For every company they go after there are
thousands of smaller fish they just don't care about. Those are the
ones that do the most cumulative harm. Like every other government
enforcement agency, if it won't result in a sexy press release the FTC
just won't do it.

Now, I'm not suggesting that they should be spending any more
resources on it. As I said before, we can all solve the problem
ourselves by simply hanging up or not answering the phone. I just
hate it when something like the DNC Registry is created, then the
responsible agency half-steps enforcement. They need to either do it
right, or not at all.

We'd all be better off; and would probably save a ton of tax dollars
that could be redirected to more important matters; if the feds would
simply do away with the DNC Registry, and require that all telecoms
provide caller ID to all their subscribers, and ban ID blocking and
anonymous calling. Each person could then decide for themselves if
they want to answer that call. No more problems, no more whining.

Regards,
Sarge

George Grapman

Apr 3, 2008, 5:37:46 PM4/3/08

I have Caller ID and the privacy feature but some calls still get
through. Some scammers are able to spoof caller ID so the number that
shows up is not the number of the caller.
I mentioned small claims court. If ,say, 5 percent of the population
pursued that ( I have paid numerous times just by threatening to sue)
the behavior of these firms would rapidly change.
Working at home a usually get at least one call a day. If it says
"unknown number" I usually ignore it and if no message is left I know
it was a telemarketer.
Also, if you have call waiting you can feign interest, start giving
them information and then tell them you have another call. Place the
phone on speaker,hit mute and go back to what you were doing. After a
few minutes tell them you are almost finished and ask them to hold.
Sometimes you will hear them bragging "I have a live one". When you
return to the phone ask them if a lot of people hang up. Tell them those
people are doing them a favor and their worst enemy is a non-buyer like
yourself who just wasted their time by keeping them from calling others.
This often ruins the day of a $7 an hour telemarketer.
If a female calls I tell her in great detail what her voice is doing
to me. If it is a male I either do the same thing or tell them I need to
talk to my wife,Robert.

sarge137

Apr 3, 2008, 5:44:45 PM4/3/08
On Apr 3, 3:37 pm, George Grapman <sfgeo...@paccbell.net> wrote:
> sarge137 wrote:
> >>http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/donotcall/mediacenter.html
>
> >>http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/12/directv.shtm
>
> >>http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/11/ftc-rings-up--1.html-Hide quoted text -
> talk to my wife,Robert.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I do a lot of that myself. Make game of it, and have a little
fun those idiots. But, soooo many people obsess about it, and the
FTC's not living up to their promise. Very frustrating to many.

Regars,
Sarge

George Grapman

Apr 3, 2008, 5:46:50 PM4/3/08
My frustration eases each time I get a check from the scammers
after threatening to sue.

Dave

Apr 3, 2008, 4:47:55 AM4/3/08

> We'd all be better off; and would probably save a ton of tax dollars
> that could be redirected to more important matters; if the feds would
> simply do away with the DNC Registry, and require that all telecoms
> provide caller ID to all their subscribers, and ban ID blocking and
> anonymous calling. Each person could then decide for themselves if
> they want to answer that call. No more problems, no more whining.
>
> Regards,
> Sarge

There is a huge problem with that solution, though. Who wants the phone to ring hundreds of times a day so that you have to run to the caller ID box to see that you don't want to answer it AGAIN?!? It's better not to have the scumbags call you AT ALL. -Dave

The Real Bev

Apr 3, 2008, 7:45:33 PM4/3/08
George Grapman wrote:

Yeah, but I was actually womdering more about why contractors and loan
companies as opposed to, say, housecleaning services or used-car shops.

I think I should keep a whistle nearby. "Wait just a minute, I have to
get something..."

--
Cheers. Bev
It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament

SpammersDie

Apr 3, 2008, 7:47:30 PM4/3/08

"Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote in message

What would be better is a technological solution more in line with this day
and age.

The phone should not just ring automatically. It should compare caller-id to
a set of whitelist rules the owner programs into the phone. Depending on the
result and the owner's whims, the phone can ...

- Let the call ring thru (caller matches friend-and-family list.)

- Don't ring thru - let caller leave message (caller matches a pizza
delivery outfit you just ordered from .)

- Block caller unless caller passes a CAPTCHA (depending the owner's
nastiness, CAPTCHA could range from "Please punch <random number> on your
touch-tone phone." to "Please enter the number of red-haired passengers
known to be onboard the second jet that hit the WTC")

- Don't let the call ring thru - caller hears automated message offering
opportunity to leave a five minute message for a fee of $5 (exact amount set
by phone owner.) Phone owner can choose to waive fee if message turns out to
be worth the time to listen to, at his sole discretion (not recognized by
list.)

- Don't let the call ring thru - caller hears automated message offering
opportunity to leave a message for a fee of $5,000,000,000 unless caller
explicitly opts out by punching a 30 digit sequence with in the next ten
seconds (caller matches known telemarketer.)

- Block call entirely (caller matches boss at work.)

sarge137

Apr 3, 2008, 7:54:40 PM4/3/08
On Apr 3, 3:46 pm, George Grapman <sfgeo...@paccbell.net> wrote:
> sarge137 wrote:
> after threatening to sue.- Hide quoted text -

I applaud your efforts, and admire your success, but it's more time
and energy than I want to put into it. I'll bet that if more people
did what you do, it would stop the jerks faster than anything the FTC
will ever do.

Regards,
Sarge

George Grapman

Apr 3, 2008, 7:56:18 PM4/3/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> George Grapman wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>> I get at least one call per day from some home-improvement
>>> contracting company -- not the same one, all different. I also get
>>> the occasional recorded call from somebody probably offering loans by
>>> telling me "there's a problem with my account."
>>>
>>> Why do contractors feel they're exempt? Do they prey on the stupid
>>> who don't know about the do-not-call list? Do they just not care?
>>>
>>> Sometimes I try to get the name and phone number to report them, but
>>> I'm pretty much sure that's a waste of my time. Way easier to just
>>> snarl at them, even if I know it makes no difference.
>>
>> I have posted details a will be happy to do it again bur basically
>> if the company is in your state and you can determine their location
>> small claims court is a great remedy.
>
> Yeah, but I was actually womdering more about why contractors and loan
> companies as opposed to, say, housecleaning services or used-car shops.

Good question-The majority of my callers are carpet cleaning,credit
repair and refis.

Vic Smith

Apr 3, 2008, 9:23:14 PM4/3/08

Since I put my name on the DNC list a couple years ago, all such calls
stopped. Used to get every variety, now only charities and political.
So why is it working for me and not you?
Anybody else it has worked for?

--Vic

Marsha

Apr 3, 2008, 8:28:42 PM4/3/08
Vic Smith wrote:
> Since I put my name on the DNC list a couple years ago, all such calls
> stopped. Used to get every variety, now only charities and political.
> So why is it working for me and not you?
> Anybody else it has worked for?
>
> --Vic

Works great for me. Whatever filters through (charities, etc.) goes to
the answering machine. My friends and family know I will pick up if
they say who they are.

Marsha/Ohio

sarge137

Apr 3, 2008, 8:29:49 PM4/3/08

Well, I certainly agree that it would be better if they didn't call at
all. But we've got to live in the real world. It's never gonna
happen. Not until the people who run those phone rooms realize
they're paying people to listen to voice mail and hang ups. They make
those calls because it's profitable. I'm amazed at the number of
people who will talk to them - then want to whine about being
defrauded.

As to running to a caller ID box, and I hope you'll forgive me, you
really need to update your equipment. I haven't used a separate box
since my phone company first started offering the service over 20
years ago. Both of my cordless phones have caller ID in the hand
sets, and the wired phone in my den has an ID screen in the base. And
these aren't high end expensive equipment. On the rare occasion that
the phone rings and one them isn't within reach, I'm too busy with
something to answer, no matter who's on the other end.

Regards,
Sarge

George Grapman

Apr 3, 2008, 8:30:08 PM4/3/08
Actually it takes very little time:
A few minutes online to determine the owner of the company via the
county clerks web site or the agent for service from the Secretary of State.
A phone call to the company informing them that I intend to sue for
$500 unless they remit $100 in 5 business days. This almost always ends
the matter in my favor.

For the few times it dis not work:

Go to court when I plan on being in the area anyway. Maybe 15 minutes
to fill out paperwork and wait for clerk. Each time the papers were
served the companies contacted me that day and agreed to my offer of
$250 plus costs to drop the case.

None have ever gone to court.In California these cases can be filed in
your county regardless of where the company is located.

sarge137

Apr 3, 2008, 9:09:54 PM4/3/08

Perfect! When do we start!!! :-)

Terryc

Apr 3, 2008, 9:31:06 PM4/3/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> I get at least one call per day from some home-improvement contracting
> company -- not the same one, all different.

If you don't require the telephone to be available 24x7, just answer
"I'll go get him for you and lay the handset down and walk away"

The Real Bev

Apr 3, 2008, 11:17:25 PM4/3/08
SpammersDie wrote:

> "Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote:
>>>
>>> We'd all be better off; and would probably save a ton of tax dollars
>>> that could be redirected to more important matters; if the feds would
>>> simply do away with the DNC Registry, and require that all telecoms
>>> provide caller ID to all their subscribers, and ban ID blocking and
>>> anonymous calling. Each person could then decide for themselves if
>>> they want to answer that call. No more problems, no more whining.

Lordy. With maybe one telemarketer/day this cure would be worse than
the disease :-(

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev

Apr 3, 2008, 11:24:43 PM4/3/08
Vic Smith wrote:

Because my feet stink and I don't love Jesus?

About the only charity calls I get are from various police benevolent
associations. I used to be polite to them -- they know where I live --
but every once in a while the police announce that they NEVER authorize
such things so now I'm rude, but not rude enough to earn being put on a
list just in case they ARE police-authorized.

> Anybody else it has worked for?

It's certainly cut down the number. I figure it's only local businesses
who offend now -- big nationwide companies have too much face to lose if
they're singled out as an example.

The Real Bev

Apr 3, 2008, 11:26:24 PM4/3/08
Terryc wrote:

Or say "It's for you" and hand it to the nearest baby.

George Grapman

Apr 3, 2008, 11:38:51 PM4/3/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> Terryc wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>> I get at least one call per day from some home-improvement
>>> contracting company -- not the same one, all different.
>>
>> If you don't require the telephone to be available 24x7, just answer
>> "I'll go get him for you and lay the handset down and walk away"
>
> Or say "It's for you" and hand it to the nearest baby.

Ask them to hold, pretend you are on another call and start saying
things like ,"hi, Bill, no, no problem that other call is a telemarketer
but this one is really dumb. She thinks I am going to give my credit
card to a stranger. No, let, her hold, it keeps her from bothering other
people.

Another one is to tell them you like to know who you are doing
business with and ask for their address. The replies are often "our
address" or ,please hold". I say," sure, take your time, the location
where you are is a tough question,go ask a co-worker. Some hang up when
they are asked.

If they a reading a long canned pitch got to mute and speaker phone.
Once a gut had a long pitch and then I heard," so how does that
sound,George" Hello ,George, are you there? God damn it I gave this guy
my A material and he walked away from the phone.

When I went to DSL I kept my old dial up line as a back up since I
work at home. I never give it out and it is unlisted so when it rings I
know it is wrong number or a telemarketer. Answering with "You're
selling but I ain't buying " cramps their style.

George Grapman

Apr 3, 2008, 11:52:02 PM4/3/08
I work in business to business sales which are not covered by the Do
Not Call Law. I try to get business through referrals and networking but
still have to do a certain amount of cold calling. I have strategies to
either get around the receptionist or to make that person my friend.
A few months ago I called a company and got voice mail. On an initial
contact I only leave a message as a last resort. A few minutes later a
man called ,said he had seen my number on caller ID because his calls
were forwarded to his cell.
When I told him why I called he went ballistic ,screaming about the
do not call list and marketing to cell phones. I tried to tell him that
business to business calls are not covered and the cell ban does not
apply when calls are forwarded to a cell. He kept calling me back and
cursing. I then set my selective call forwarding to send calls from his
cell to his office which meant he was calling himself. I heard about ten
short rings indicating a forwarded call. Then I switched the number to
the local traffic report before I blocked him.
By the way, maybe 1 percent of the people I call hang up.
Message has been deleted

Dee

Apr 4, 2008, 8:34:06 AM4/4/08
"SpammersDie" <x...@xx.xx> wrote in

> "Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote in message
>>

>> There is a huge problem with that solution, though. Who wants
>> the phone to ring hundreds of times a day so that you have to run
>> to the caller ID box to see that you don't want to answer it
>> AGAIN?!?
>
> What would be better is a technological solution more in line with
> this day and age.

I didn't have a problem with telemarketing calls at all until about a
year ago when I gave my home number to the car dealer where I was
buying my car. Since then I have been receiving an increasing number
of sales calls from companies trying to sell me extended warranties on
my car.

Last week I finally had enough and googled for some kind of solution.
I found PhoneTray Free, a free program that uses the caller-id info to
zap telemarketers. I set it up a few days ago and yesterday it caught
the first TM call and played the "this number is not in service or has
been disconnected" recording. Hee hee!

http://www.phonetray.com/phonetrayfree.htm

So far I am zapping by area code (most of my TM calls seem to come from
Michigan) but you can also zap toll-free calls, unknown caller or
private caller, and out-of-area calls.

It works with DSL, but I think they also have a dial-up version. And a
big plus for me is that it works on Win98 (yay!).

Dee

George Grapman

Apr 4, 2008, 9:13:33 AM4/4/08
Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article <efaJj.2904$7D1...@newsfe02.lga>,

> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I get at least one call per day from some home-improvement contracting
>> company -- not the same one, all different. I also get the occasional
>> recorded call from somebody probably offering loans by telling me
>> "there's a problem with my account."
>>
>> Why do contractors feel they're exempt? Do they prey on the stupid who
>> don't know about the do-not-call list? Do they just not care?
>>
>> Sometimes I try to get the name and phone number to report them, but I'm
>> pretty much sure that's a waste of my time. Way easier to just snarl at
>> them, even if I know it makes no difference.
>
> Some small businesses simply may be ignorant. If you are so inclined,
> talk to them and simply explain the do not call list and request that
> they do not call you again. Or get caller-id and simply block them or
> ignore their calls. As with so much the Bush Administration does, the do
> not call list is botched up due to a lack of enforcement, so reporting
> them probably won't help, but it can't hurt either.

Unless the are one of the first people to be called it is hard to
believe that others have not already informed them that they are
violating the law.

timeOday

Apr 4, 2008, 9:33:42 AM4/4/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> George Grapman wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>> I get at least one call per day from some home-improvement
>>> contracting company -- not the same one, all different. I also get
>>> the occasional recorded call from somebody probably offering loans by
>>> telling me "there's a problem with my account."
>>>
>>> Why do contractors feel they're exempt? Do they prey on the stupid
>>> who don't know about the do-not-call list? Do they just not care?
>>>
>>> Sometimes I try to get the name and phone number to report them, but
>>> I'm pretty much sure that's a waste of my time. Way easier to just
>>> snarl at them, even if I know it makes no difference.
>>
>> I have posted details a will be happy to do it again bur basically
>> if the company is in your state and you can determine their location
>> small claims court is a great remedy.
>
> Yeah, but I was actually womdering more about why contractors and loan
> companies as opposed to, say, housecleaning services or used-car shops.

Maybe the downturn in the housing industry is making them desperate?

val189

Apr 4, 2008, 9:52:53 AM4/4/08
On Apr 3, 2:29 pm, The Real Bev <bashley101+use...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I get at least one call per day from some home-improvement contracting
> company -- not the same one, all different. I also get the occasional
> recorded call from somebody probably offering loans by telling me
> "there's a problem with my account."
>
> Why do contractors feel they're exempt? Do they prey on the stupid who
> don't know about the do-not-call list? Do they just not care?
>
> Sometimes I try to get the name and phone number to report them, but I'm
> pretty much sure that's a waste of my time. Way easier to just snarl at
> them, even if I know it makes no difference.

If you don't have it, get caller ID. Worth every cent. I ward off
undesirable relatives' calls with it too.

Since the DNC list began, my junk calls fell off 99%. The caller id
handles the rest, like those from 'unknown'.

I wouldn't waste my breath trying to get a name and number - and
reporting them would be even more time wasted.

George Grapman

Apr 4, 2008, 10:00:51 AM4/4/08

Caller ID and the privacy feature stop a lot of calls but a few
"Unknown number" still get through which I ignore.

George Grapman

Apr 4, 2008, 10:05:33 AM4/4/08
I do not know of any enforcement but California law prohibits
businesses from blocking their numbers.

wat...@moog.netaxs.com

Apr 4, 2008, 2:58:28 PM4/4/08

More the downturn in the economy. I had some plumbing work done about a month
ago and the plumber told me that I was the first job he's had all week(this
was on a Thursday), and that he's been seeing the same small number of jobs
for the past several months. Apparently, a lot of people are insecure about
whether their jobs will last and are deferring maintenance and repair until
times get better. It may be that this attitude is widespread enough that the
contractors are getting desparate for business.

W.

sarge137

Apr 4, 2008, 5:05:09 PM4/4/08
On Apr 4, 7:52 am, val189 <gwehr...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2:29 pm, The Real Bev <bashley101+use...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I get at least one call per day from some home-improvement contracting
> > company -- not the same one, all different.  I also get the occasional
> > recorded call from somebody probably offering loans by telling me
> > "there's a problem with my account."
>
> > Why do contractors feel they're exempt?  Do they prey on the stupid who
> > don't know about the do-not-call list?  Do they just not care?
>
> > Sometimes I try to get the name and phone number to report them, but I'm
> > pretty much sure that's a waste of my time.  Way easier to just snarl at
> > them, even if I know it makes no difference.
>
> If you don't have it, get caller ID.  Worth every cent.  I ward off
> undesirable relatives' calls with it too.

Absolutely! I've had it almost from the beginning, and it's worth
every penny. The ability to avoid someone you're just not in the
mood to talk to is side benefit many people don't consider

> Since the DNC list began, my junk calls fell off 99%. The caller id
> handles the rest, like those from 'unknown'.

As have mine. But those few who still call me are even more
aggravating because they're doing it blatantly. They know that
enforcement is weak. Even if they get stung they'll make enough to
more than off set any penalty. That's really more the fault of the
people who do business with them, than the enforcement agencies who
ignore the complaints.

Another poster suggested that some may not be aware. That may be true
in very rare instances, but they don't get a pass either. Ever try to
get out of a speeding ticket because you didn't know the limit? Even
if true, it's up to you to know and comply with the law, whether
you're driving or running a business.

>  I wouldn't waste my breath trying to get a name and number - and
> reporting them would be even more time wasted.

Yup.

Isn't it interesting what a lively discussion this subject causes no
matter how frequently it comes up? I'm surprised that an apologist
for the telemarketing industry hasn't chimed in to justify the
practice.

Regards,
Sarge

George Grapman

Apr 4, 2008, 5:25:06 PM4/4/08
When I have a few minutes I act like a buyer and give them a made up
16 digit credit card number( some suggested the risk of randomly giving
a real account but you have a better chance of winning the lottery than
giving 16 numbers in the right sequence followed by the actual
expiration date and security code).
Shortly after the "sale" a manager will call to confirm the sale and
tell me that Bill must have entered the wrong information. I act
puzzled. When they recount the details I tell them I just walked in the
door 5 minutes ago returning from a vacation and no one has been in my
house. The manager assumes that Bill made up a sale, a very common thing
among low end telemarketers. Bill, who was already counting his money,
is called on to the carpet.
A friend, after repeated calls, gave a carpet cleaning place his
actual address and said he wanted the house done quickly so requested a
4 man crew. When they showed up he said he had never talked to anyone.
The owner called and threatened to sue for the lost time. My friend
noted that (a) there was no contract and (b) for them to sue they would
have to admit violating the law. They never bothered him again.
Finally, before the law the two daily papers here had a joint
operating agreement and several times a week either or both papers would
call. I got hold of the circulation manager who tries to pass the buck
to the companies they contracted with. The next time they called I said
that they had speak to the person in my house who made those decisions
and gave them his direct line. He later called asking why I gave out his
office number. I said it was because I did not have his home phone. I
never got another call.

The Real Bev

Apr 4, 2008, 6:42:05 PM4/4/08
George Grapman wrote:

That's mind boggling, assuming those are cold calls. Do you sell
products for the mentally handicapped? I can't imagine EVER talking to
somebody who cold-called me or returning the call of a stranger.

--
Cheers,
Bev

George Grapman

Apr 4, 2008, 7:04:33 PM4/4/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> George Grapman wrote:
>
>> I work in business to business sales which are not covered by the
>> Do Not Call Law. I try to get business through referrals and
>> networking but still have to do a certain amount of cold calling. I
>> have strategies to either get around the receptionist or to make that
>> person my friend.
>> A few months ago I called a company and got voice mail. On an
>> initial contact I only leave a message as a last resort. A few minutes
>> later a man called ,said he had seen my number on caller ID because
>> his calls were forwarded to his cell.
>> When I told him why I called he went ballistic ,screaming about the
>> do not call list and marketing to cell phones. I tried to tell him
>> that business to business calls are not covered and the cell ban does
>> not apply when calls are forwarded to a cell. He kept calling me back
>> and cursing. I then set my selective call forwarding to send calls
>> from his cell to his office which meant he was calling himself. I
>> heard about ten short rings indicating a forwarded call. Then I
>> switched the number to the local traffic report before I blocked him.
>> By the way, maybe 1 percent of the people I call hang up.
>
> That's mind boggling, assuming those are cold calls. Do you sell
> products for the mentally handicapped? I can't imagine EVER talking to
> somebody who cold-called me or returning the call of a stranger.

Voice mail and phone systems for businesses. First of all, I rarely
leave a message before I have actually spoken with the person.
Secondly I have learned to make the person who answers the phone my
friend. I ask them if they are experiencing problems and if so I ask the
to detail them. I then simply say, "That must make your job more
difficult." They agree and then are often forthcoming with contact details.
I had one company a few months ago that had a very bad system . The
only choices were dial by name or entering an extension. Pressing zero
during off hours put you back in the main menu. I got the receptionist
who yelled"we are not interested.leave me alone" and hung up. I found
their website and emailed the owner to point out the problems with his
system and informing him that if people got lost in his system they
would call competitors and he would never know that he lost their business.
He called me up the same day and asked me to come by the following day.
The look on the receptionists face when I introduced myself, gave her my
card and told her I had an appointment was priceless.
No, I did not get the sale but that is beside the point.

The Real Bev

Apr 4, 2008, 7:31:26 PM4/4/08
Shawn Hirn wrote:

> Some small businesses simply may be ignorant. If you are so inclined,
> talk to them and simply explain the do not call list and request that
> they do not call you again. Or get caller-id and simply block them or
> ignore their calls. As with so much the Bush Administration does, the do
> not call list is botched up due to a lack of enforcement, so reporting
> them probably won't help, but it can't hurt either.

I asked the last one (who asked me "Why are you so angry?"). He said
that his program was exempt because it was approved by the government.
Christ.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Luge strategy? Lie flat and try not to die."

George Grapman

Apr 4, 2008, 7:59:43 PM4/4/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> Shawn Hirn wrote:
>
>> Some small businesses simply may be ignorant. If you are so inclined,
>> talk to them and simply explain the do not call list and request that
>> they do not call you again. Or get caller-id and simply block them or
>> ignore their calls. As with so much the Bush Administration does, the
>> do not call list is botched up due to a lack of enforcement, so
>> reporting them probably won't help, but it can't hurt either.
>
> I asked the last one (who asked me "Why are you so angry?"). He said
> that his program was exempt because it was approved by the government.
> Christ.

I am curious, what type of program was it.
What upsets me is when I mention the Do Not Call law and they offer
to put my on their own list while either not knowing or, more likely
pretending not to know that they are obligated to get copies of the FTC
list.
As I noted earlier, anyone calling homes on the list will know before
their coffee break that the company it not in compliance and therefore I
feel justified in wasting their time,being rude or obscene or simply
hanging up.
By far the worst are the recordings that say "please hold for a very
important call".

Frank

Apr 5, 2008, 12:33:07 AM4/5/08

"The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Don't understand why they need donations when the chief nets $250K, captain
racks in $150K and most of them makes over $100K per year with overtime. I
could donate couple of handguns and a shotgun but don't they know how to
manage their wealth?

Frank

Apr 5, 2008, 12:41:43 AM4/5/08

<wat...@moog.netaxs.com> wrote in message

Don't think it has to do with the economy all that much. Plumbers priced
themselves out of the job. Had a toilet replaced a couple of years ago for
$400. $80 toilet and rest is labor, about 1/2 hours of work plus another 1
hour traveling. More the same for HVAC contractors.

wat...@moog.netaxs.com

Apr 5, 2008, 2:38:40 PM4/5/08

Oh yeah, they're expensive all right. Unfortunately, aside from some simpler
types of repairs and maintenance(replace toilet valve, drain and flush heating
system), I'm not all that confident of my ability to do proper plumbing
repairs. So, like most people, I find myself calling the plumber when
something major breaks, even though I know he's going to cost a bundle to do
the work. At least, if the fix doesn't work, it's his responsiblity to
correct it. That said, I can understand the reluctance of many people to get
a plumber unless there's a foot of water on the floor, simply because they
don't want to put out all that money unless their backs are to the wall.

W.