Let's face it: There's no Frugality without Biking or Walking

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 8, 2010, 11:36:49 AM5/8/10
Well, even I, the Wise Monkey preaching frugality, am often forced to
drive against my will, and thus I can not call myself a "saint." I've
turned to WALKING instead of BIKING in an effort to live on PEANUTS &
POPCORN, but still it's a "hot grinding jungle" out there. Have you
noticed how you beat the heat so much better on a cruiser bike with
your shirt wide open? Of course, you never notice that unless you live
it. And forget about the helmet. You must wear a hat in true "Indiana
Banana" style to SURVIVE the heat. I don't say Indiana Jones because I
don't think he rode a bike in his adventures, so I have a adopted my
own style.

Think about it, and you will see the need to go beyond the recycling
and vegetarian lifestyle in order to be a true saint.

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS

"Be ready for the jungle"
http://www.commuterbikestore.com/nirve-kilroy-bike.html

(DISCLAIMER: In no way I receive a commission from Nirve bikes. I just
like the style)

Jim A

May 8, 2010, 12:10:26 PM5/8/10
On 05/08/2010 04:36 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana
and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises wrote:
> THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS
>
> "Be ready for the jungle"
> http://www.commuterbikestore.com/nirve-kilroy-bike.html

I like the military-style decals - especially the "No Step!" one on the
chainguard.

Here in the UK, Pashley make a similar style cruiser - the Tube Rider:

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/tube-rider.html

The design is said to be based on the kind of bikes used by US troops
during WWII, but obviously it doesn't have the paint job to go with it.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 8, 2010, 12:43:18 PM5/8/10

Right, you need the look like the Jeep. I also like the classic
British style, and I do own the Amsterdam Classic which reminisce of
that era.

The problem with it that I have to put it THROUGH THE SAND in order to
avoid the "urban warfare" with traffic, and that's where the Kilroy
kicks in. ;)

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 8, 2010, 1:12:33 PM5/8/10
One problem we find in riding a bike is that the "nice girls" go
looking for "men who like big toys," such as promoted here...

"Men love toys. The bigger the boat and the faster the engine, the
more powerful the guy will be. The same way women love fashion shows,
guys love toy shows. Car and boat shows are places where single men
are like a flock to a shepherd. If you attend a car or boat show, pick
up on the finer things in life (um, Ferraris anyone?), while meeting a
man to drive it."

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/sex/10-places-youre-guaranteed-to-meet-men-1369003/

***

It could be claimed that capitalism promotes stupidity. That's what
the SUV industry caters to.

Of course, we can change that with a sexy bike with an even sexier
look. We just need the place for "parade time."

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 8, 2010, 1:28:28 PM5/8/10
On May 8, 9:47 am, Phlip <phlip2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, even I, the Wise Monkey preaching frugality, am often forced to
> > drive against my will, and thus I can not call myself a "saint." I've
> > turned to WALKING instead of BIKING...
>
> ...because the committee of elderly white males who designed your
> neighborhood put the residences over here, and the shopping center
> over there, and your workplace very far away, too.
>
> They didn't build a "walkable neighborhood" for some strange reason.
>
> Hmmm. Whatever could that reason have been, hmm?

I still live in an old fashion community, where the "elders of the
tribe" did some walking. I do walk more and I bike less than before I
moved here, as the distances are under 1 mile.

Now it's totally insane to ride a bike to go anywhere beyond that and
I feel the pressure to get on the stupid Lexus and drive.

It's an old one, so don't get ideas that I belong with the lions. ;)

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 8, 2010, 2:04:37 PM5/8/10

Hey, I just remembered this...

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010-Product-Catalog/CRUISER/THREE-SPEED/MP.aspx

How about this classic British look...

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010-Product-Catalog/CRUISER/ONE-SPEED/TWIN.aspx

I can challenge the looks of any SUV with those, particularly when the
driver hides behind tinted windows. ;)

Jim A

May 8, 2010, 6:19:18 PM5/8/10
On 05/08/2010 07:04 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana

Thanks - I just looked at some more Felt bicycles. It's amazing they
have a whole group of 'cafe' bikes each fitted with an aluminium cup holder!

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010-Product-Catalog/CAFE/CAFE-Series.aspx

If you'll excuse the pun I'm sure they're not everyone's cup of tea, but
that's the kind of bicycle I like.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 8, 2010, 11:50:40 PM5/8/10
On May 8, 6:19 pm, Jim A <j...@averyjim.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 07:04 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana
> and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises wrote:
>

> > On May 8, 12:10 pm, Jim A<j...@averyjim.myzen.co.uk>  wrote:

> >> I like the military-style decals - especially the "No Step!" one on the
> >> chainguard.
>
> >> Here in the UK, Pashley make a similar style cruiser - the Tube Rider:
>
> >>http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/tube-rider.html
>
> >> The design is said to be based on the kind of bikes used by US troops
> >> during WWII, but obviously it doesn't have the paint job to go with it.
>
> >> --www.slowbicyclemovement.org-enjoy the ride

> > Hey, I just remembered this...
>
> >http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010-Product-Catalog/CRUISER/THREE-SP...

> > How about this classic British look...
>
> >http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010-Product-Catalog/CRUISER/ONE-SPEE...

> > I can challenge the looks of any SUV with those, particularly when the
> > driver hides behind tinted windows. ;)
>
> Thanks - I just looked at some more Felt bicycles.  It's amazing they
> have a whole group of 'cafe' bikes each fitted with an aluminium cup holder!
>
> http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010-Product-Catalog/CAFE/CAFE-Series...

> If you'll excuse the pun I'm sure they're not everyone's cup of tea, but
> that's the kind of bicycle I like.
>
> --www.slowbicyclemovement.org- enjoy the ride

True. I got this one for my cup of tea...

http://www.racycles.com/product.aspx?catid=10,39,350,350&pid=1871

Well, it's really for a cup of COFFEE, since Seattle is the hometown
of Starbucks.

I'm waiting for the jungle to clear around here to show off. It would
be a pity to sell them since most of them I got at half price.

I got different bikes for different moods, but I prefer the cruiser to
ride WITHOUT all the gear, except the panniers.

Forrest Hodge

May 9, 2010, 4:03:43 PM5/9/10
On 5/8/2010 11:36 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana
and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises wrote:
Seems to me that if it's sweltering hot out and you need to travel a
substantial distance, it would be more logical to use an air conditioned
car. You'll get their faster, you won't be covered in sweat when you get
there, and you'll get back faster as well.

Bob F

May 9, 2010, 4:09:10 PM5/9/10
Forrest Hodge wrote:
> On 5/8/2010 11:36 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana
> and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises wrote:
>> Well, even I, the Wise Monkey preaching frugality, am often forced to
>> drive against my will, and thus I can not call myself a "saint." I've
>> turned to WALKING instead of BIKING in an effort to live on PEANUTS&
>> POPCORN, but still it's a "hot grinding jungle" out there. Have you
>> noticed how you beat the heat so much better on a cruiser bike with
>> your shirt wide open? Of course, you never notice that unless you
>> live it. And forget about the helmet. You must wear a hat in true
>> "Indiana Banana" style to SURVIVE the heat. I don't say Indiana
>> Jones because I don't think he rode a bike in his adventures, so I
>> have a adopted my own style.
>>
>> Think about it, and you will see the need to go beyond the recycling
>> and vegetarian lifestyle in order to be a true saint.
>>
> Seems to me that if it's sweltering hot out and you need to travel a
> substantial distance, it would be more logical to use an air
> conditioned car. You'll get their faster, you won't be covered in
> sweat when you get there, and you'll get back faster as well.

Hey! Bikes all have built in cooling.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 9, 2010, 6:07:40 PM5/9/10

Remember the hunter-gatherer within still needs to sweat and walk.
Many times we actually look for it like when working out or making
love. It's that bad except for a couch potato.

Junk food and lazy life is killing us.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 9, 2010, 6:09:48 PM5/9/10
On May 9, 4:09 pm, "Bob F" <bobnos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Forrest Hodge wrote:
> > On 5/8/2010 11:36 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana
> > and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises wrote:
> >> Well, even I, the Wise Monkey preaching frugality, am often forced to
> >> drive against my will, and thus I can not call myself a "saint." I've
> >> turned to WALKING instead of BIKING in an effort to live on PEANUTS&
> >> POPCORN, but still it's a "hot grinding jungle" out there. Have you
> >> noticed how you beat the heat so much better on a cruiser bike with
> >> your shirt wide open? Of course, you never notice that unless you
> >> live it. And forget about the helmet. You must wear a hat in true
> >> "Indiana Banana" style to SURVIVE the heat. I don't say Indiana
> >> Jones because I don't think he rode a bike in his adventures, so I
> >> have a adopted my own style.
>
> >> Think about it, and you will see the need to go beyond the recycling
> >> and vegetarian lifestyle in order to be a true saint.
>
> > Seems to me that if it's sweltering hot out and you need to travel a
> > substantial distance, it would be more logical to use an air
> > conditioned car. You'll get their faster, you won't be covered in
> > sweat when you get there, and you'll get back faster as well.
>
> Hey! Bikes all have built in cooling.

Exactly. Not only that, you are more energy efficient than on foot.

Forrest Hodge

May 9, 2010, 6:15:47 PM5/9/10
A 107 degree breeze is still 107 degrees. I have Triumph TR6, even at 60
MPH with the top down in triple digit weather, it's uncomfortable.

Forrest Hodge

May 9, 2010, 6:20:35 PM5/9/10
On 5/9/2010 6:07 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana

Certainly there's a time place for it. I jog for about 2 or 3 miles
after work. During the summer, I'll jog for a bit work up a sweat and
then get in the pool for a bit as well. But for personal transportation
I'll take a car every time, especially if it's exceptionally hot outside.

m...@privacy.net

May 9, 2010, 8:28:37 PM5/9/10
Forrest Hodge <fo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> But for personal transportation
>I'll take a car every time, especially if it's exceptionally hot outside.

sorry to hear that!

May 9, 2010, 8:53:46 PM5/9/10

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> Forrest Hodge <fo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But for personal transportation
>>I'll take a car every time, especially if it's exceptionally hot outside.

Seconded. I live so far from everything that I HAVE to drive - walking and
bicycling take WAAAY too long, and I'd have no way to haul my groceries up
the insane hill! Seriously, the bike club in town uses my hill as a training
ride for cross country/grand prix/whatever they call it!

However, I work at home and only run errands once or twice a week, so I only
drive about 2,000 miles a year. I love carrier pickup - I never have to go
to the post office EVER to mail out my products. And, since the mail comes
everyday anyway, no extra money on gas or time is spent picking up my stuff.
Way more savings than switching to a bike or walking!

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 9, 2010, 9:48:13 PM5/9/10
On May 9, 8:28 pm, m...@privacy.net wrote:

If it ain't the heat, it'll be the cold. But they will always find an
excuse for the automobile.

Only excuse is the DANGER in most roads out there. Last summer I'd
ride around in the heat, PROPERLY DRESSED OR UNDRESSED, and then a
plunge in the ocean.

But we were harassed too much, and rode too many sidewalks too, so I'm
on standby.

Edward Dolan

May 17, 2010, 1:50:36 AM5/17/10

Enterprises" <comandan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Well, even I, the Wise Monkey preaching frugality, am often forced to
> drive against my will, and thus I can not call myself a "saint." I've
> turned to WALKING instead of BIKING in an effort to live on PEANUTS &
> POPCORN, but still it's a "hot grinding jungle" out there. Have you
> noticed how you beat the heat so much better on a cruiser bike with
> your shirt wide open? Of course, you never notice that unless you live
> it. And forget about the helmet. You must wear a hat in true "Indiana
> Banana" style to SURVIVE the heat. I don't say Indiana Jones because I
> don't think he rode a bike in his adventures, so I have a adopted my
> own style.
>
> Think about it, and you will see the need to go beyond the recycling
> and vegetarian lifestyle in order to be a true saint.

Take your peanuts and popcorn and stuff them up your ass. I think you must
fornicate with monkeys since that is what you reference. Hey,TM, what kind
of poor pitiful bastard are you anyway? I have got you down for a sheep
fucker. Why don't you tell us about that instead of those fucking monkeys.

Fucking Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

D_Fru...@ndersnat.ch

May 17, 2010, 12:16:41 PM5/17/10

Wow, Dolan is back just in time to take on the Tibetan Ape! This
should be all kinds of fun.
<temporary de-plonk>

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 17, 2010, 1:05:46 PM5/17/10

That's not nearly a match.

The Wise Tibetan Monkey is wiser than Buddha.

Who's Big Ed, anyway?

D_Fru...@ndersnat.ch

May 17, 2010, 3:05:17 PM5/17/10
In rec.bicycles.misc His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises <comandan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Who's Big Ed, anyway?

Well, to use a simile, if we say that you have a mouth the size of
the USS Nimitz, his is the size of the USS Enterprise. But don't look
to me for enlightenment. I'll leave the two of you to ruin the group
together.

<re-plonk>

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 17, 2010, 3:11:55 PM5/17/10
On May 17, 3:05 pm, D_Frumiu...@ndersnat.ch wrote:

> In rec.bicycles.misc His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Who's Big Ed, anyway?
>
>    Well, to use a simile, if we say that you have a mouth the size of
> the USS Nimitz, his is the size of the USS Enterprise.  But don't look
> to me for enlightenment.  I'll leave the two of you to ruin the group
> together.
>
> <re-plonk>

Oh, he's a rebel WITHOUT a cause, and I do have a cause.

Believe it or not, I won't be here the day I can freely and safely
ride my bike.

Edward Dolan

May 18, 2010, 1:42:41 PM5/18/10

Enterprises" <nolionn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On May 17, 3:05 pm, D_Frumiu...@ndersnat.ch wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.misc His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and
> Chief of Quixotic Enterprises <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Who's Big Ed, anyway?
>
> Well, to use a simile, if we say that you have a mouth the size of
> the USS Nimitz, his is the size of the USS Enterprise. But don't look
> to me for enlightenment. I'll leave the two of you to ruin the group
> together.

All newsgroups have already been ruined. They are strictly for idiots. But
even so, some idiots are more idiotic than other idiots. TM is such an
idiot. I will teach him a thing or two.

>> Oh, he's a rebel WITHOUT a cause, and I do have a cause.

I will make YOU my cause. Prepare to enjoy!

>> Believe it or not, I won't be here the day I can freely and safely
ride my bike.

No one wants to hear that shit anymore. You have already said it a million
times.

Edward Dolan

May 18, 2010, 2:54:35 PM5/18/10

<D_Fru...@ndersnat.ch> wrote in message

It is assholes like you who only know how to sit on your hands who are
responsible for the destruction of Usenet newsgroups. What do you do when a
poor crazy bastard like TM starts to monopolize a newsgroup? Yea, you do
nothing. You are even worse than Tom Sherman who occasionally did show some
guts in the past.

You pretend to a holier than thou attitude, but where does that ever get
anyone? What is wrong with all newsgroups are slobs like you who never have
the nerve to fight the good fight. We do not need your type here at all.
Either get into the fray or get lost!

TM does not just confine himself to a single thread. No, he is constantly
originating new threads even though he only has one subject on his miniscule
brain. This has the effect ruining a newsgroup. That may be OK with you, but
it is not OK with me.

Tom Sherman and I once ran a thread on single topic for many weeks and
hundreds of posts. That is the way to do it. TM badly needs to have his dumb
ass kicked and I am just the one to do it. Who cares if the newsgroup is
further destroyed. It is already ruined by TM.

dgk

May 19, 2010, 10:54:25 AM5/19/10
On Tue, 18 May 2010 12:42:41 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net>
wrote:

>"His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic
>Enterprises" <nolionn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>On May 17, 3:05 pm, D_Frumiu...@ndersnat.ch wrote:
>> In rec.bicycles.misc His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and
>> Chief of Quixotic Enterprises <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Who's Big Ed, anyway?
>>
>> Well, to use a simile, if we say that you have a mouth the size of
>> the USS Nimitz, his is the size of the USS Enterprise. But don't look
>> to me for enlightenment. I'll leave the two of you to ruin the group
>> together.
>
>All newsgroups have already been ruined. They are strictly for idiots. But
>even so, some idiots are more idiotic than other idiots. TM is such an
>idiot. I will teach him a thing or two.

Please, he's already a big enough idiot. No more lessons.