Electric razor?

KenK

Nov 10, 2009, 8:38:59 AM11/10/09
I have a Braun series 1 190 electric razor and the foil screen has worn a
hole on one side. Sure didn't last very long. From what I can find on-
line the foil and cutter costs almost as much as a new razor in Walmart.
Hard to pin down the right part. They don't seem to identify them the
same as the razor markings.

Anyhow, if I'm going to replace it might as well try to find a better
one. The Braun is ok but far from outstanding. Not a very good shave.
Previously I had a rotary Norelco. Unlike Norelcos I had when I was
younger it was very bad. Very poor shave.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good razor they bought recently? Maybe
I should just grow a beard but I'm concerned about existing photo ids
like driver's license. I can easily visualize an arrogant cop giving me a
hard time. If I use a blade I bleed annoyingly.

TIA

Al

Nov 10, 2009, 10:11:48 AM11/10/09

Foil shavers give a close shave, but seem to be prone to problems and
make lots of noise. That has been my experience. Decades ago Norelco
used to advertise that their blades were self-sharpening. Then they
figured out they could sell more stuff by offering new heads. I have
enjoyed Norelco shavers all these years and never purchased any
replacement heads. The ones I use came from garage sales for a buck or
two. Avoid any cordless shavers if you don't mind a cord. The
batteries don't last and the shaving mechanism is made super light
duty to help it run with the lower power. The older corded Norelcos
have large drive shafts that will last forever.

Message has been deleted

George

Nov 10, 2009, 10:41:07 AM11/10/09
KenK wrote:
> I have a Braun series 1 190 electric razor and the foil screen has worn a
> hole on one side. Sure didn't last very long. From what I can find on-
> line the foil and cutter costs almost as much as a new razor in Walmart.
> Hard to pin down the right part. They don't seem to identify them the
> same as the razor markings.
>
> Anyhow, if I'm going to replace it might as well try to find a better
> one. The Braun is ok but far from outstanding. Not a very good shave.
> Previously I had a rotary Norelco. Unlike Norelcos I had when I was
> younger it was very bad. Very poor shave.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for a good razor they bought recently? Maybe
> I should just grow a beard but I'm concerned about existing photo ids
> like driver's license. I can easily visualize an arrogant cop giving me a
> hard time. If I use a blade I bleed annoyingly.
>
> TIA

I bought a Panasonic wet/dry shaver earlier this year just to see if
there was an electric shaver that actually works. I use it in the shower
and it does a great job.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yla2nvs

Rod Speed

Nov 10, 2009, 2:48:53 PM11/10/09
KenK wrote

> I have a Braun series 1 190 electric razor and the foil screen has
> worn a hole on one side. Sure didn't last very long. From what I can
> find on- line the foil and cutter costs almost as much as a new razor
> in Walmart. Hard to pin down the right part. They don't seem to
> identify them the same as the razor markings.

> Anyhow, if I'm going to replace it might as well try to find a better
> one. The Braun is ok but far from outstanding. Not a very good shave.
> Previously I had a rotary Norelco. Unlike Norelcos I had when I was
> younger it was very bad. Very poor shave.

> Anyone have any suggestions for a good razor they bought recently?
> Maybe I should just grow a beard

Thats what I did. I do mow it back to stubble every couple
of weeks, basically because I dont like a large wet mass
after a shower, and that works very well indeed.

I initially used the beard trimmer on the side of the Braun to do that,
until eventually that died and I now use a beard trimmer most of the
time, tho sometimes I just use the hair cutter with the comb removed.
You do have to be a big careful around the lips with the hair cutter,
it can bite there, but you dont get a proper wound, its just uncomfortable.

> but I'm concerned about existing photo ids like driver's license.

No one has ever given a damn and I get 5 year drivers license renewals
so the last shaved one lasted quite a while when I gave up on shaving.

> I can easily visualize an arrogant cop giving me a hard time.

I've never had a problem.

> If I use a blade I bleed annoyingly.

Yeah, I bleed like a stuck pig now that I'm on blood thinners after the stent.

Never did bother with a blade tho.

jeff

Nov 11, 2009, 9:00:39 AM11/11/09
KenK wrote:
> I have a Braun series 1 190 electric razor and the foil screen has worn a
> hole on one side.

Put a slice of tape (electrical if you have it) over it (the part with
the hole). You'll get a lot more shaves out of it, in fact it will
probably last much longer than the time it took to wear the hole.
Doesn't seem to affect the quality of the shave. Not my idea, but it is
one I've been following since I was shown...

Jeff

John Weiss

Nov 12, 2009, 1:14:00 PM11/12/09
KenK wrote:

> I have a Braun series 1 190 electric razor and the foil screen has
> worn a hole on one side. Sure didn't last very long. From what I can
> find on- line the foil and cutter costs almost as much as a new razor
> in Walmart. Hard to pin down the right part. They don't seem to
> identify them the same as the razor markings.
>
> Anyhow, if I'm going to replace it might as well try to find a better
> one. The Braun is ok but far from outstanding. Not a very good shave.
> Previously I had a rotary Norelco. Unlike Norelcos I had when I was
> younger it was very bad. Very poor shave.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for a good razor they bought recently?
> Maybe I should just grow a beard but I'm concerned about existing
> photo ids like driver's license. I can easily visualize an arrogant
> cop giving me a hard time. If I use a blade I bleed annoyingly.

I've used a Panasonic "linear motor" shaver for many years. Works
well, lasts 2 weeks on a charge, blades last a long time (2+ years).