Grills still using ceramic bricks or lava rocks

imascot

Sep 10, 2008, 8:02:34 PM9/10/08
Does anyone know of a propane grill that still uses ceramic bricks or lava rocks? We had a cheap Fiesta
grill that had them, and it lasted for years. The Kenmore we have now is only five years old, and it is
rusted through, which is bad enough, but the main problem is the design that allows grease to pool in
the bottom, instead of burning off almost immediately. It fills the catch can to overflowing, and the
patio is stained from it spilling, etc. The rusting is probably caused by this, too (we keep it covered
when not in use.)
I don't see any new grills in the stores that still use this system. We would even consider buying a better
brand used, if they had this, like maybe a Weber or Ducane?
J.

SMS

Sep 10, 2008, 10:02:07 PM9/10/08

No longer available. The problem is "Kenmore." Buy a stainless steel
model at Costco, who uses higher grade steel.

jelato

Sep 14, 2008, 9:50:06 PM9/14/08

Hi - I got a Weber grill that is great. One of the small ones, it has
a hole in the bottom that collects grease in a foil pan. I think it
is a Weber "Q" grill. It has a stainless steel burner that runs in a
oval circle around the grill. At first I thought it didnt heat up
enough that way, no flames going anywhere! But no - it gets hot and
cooks pretty perfect.

James

Sep 15, 2008, 11:48:54 AM9/15/08
On Sep 10, 8:02 pm, imascot <im...@mycomputer.now> wrote:

We tried putting ceramic bricks in a BBQ not designed for them, and it
didn't work as well. Then we tried lining the bottom of the grill with
heavy duty aluminum foil and this has made a world of difference.

James

Dennis

Sep 15, 2008, 3:58:36 PM9/15/08

If you're serious about barbeque (rather than just grilling) look at
the Traeger wood pellet barbeques. It cooks like a convection oven
but with smoke. I just made some pork loin ribs on mine that were
probably the best I've ever done.

Of course, they're kind of spendy, but results-wise, nothing else
compares.

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.