TEPHLON-coated drum

Charles van Blommestein

Mar 4, 2008, 9:54:53 PM3/4/08
I have bought a new Electric rice cooker tonight. I bought the
Procotor Silex 10 cup unit (I normally cook for only myself.)
This unit has a Tephlon-coated removeable drum for cooking rice.
*My ultimate goal was to buy a replacement unit for the 12 cup Tiger
brand unit that burned out it's heater core, last week. - I also
shopped for a unit that will allow me to steam veggies while cooking
the rice.
%This unit has no steaming "basket", per-se.

I am wondering how "safe"; if so I am to cook any food with the
coating of tephlon inside this drum.
I know that tephlon is SUPPOSED TO provide a non-stick surface.
I am just concerned with how SECURE this tephlon is coated on the
inside of this drum to withstand the certain scrubbing I will need to
do when I wash (clean) it.
And how "valuable" will this tephlon coating provide with only the
expected rice I cook in it?
Thanks for opinions.

The Real Bev

Mar 5, 2008, 3:45:54 PM3/5/08
Charles van Blommestein wrote:

> I am wondering how "safe"; if so I am to cook any food with the
> coating of tephlon inside this drum. I know that tephlon is SUPPOSED
> TO provide a non-stick surface. I am just concerned with how SECURE
> this tephlon is coated on the inside of this drum to withstand the
> certain scrubbing I will need to do when I wash (clean) it. And how
> "valuable" will this tephlon coating provide with only the expected
> rice I cook in it?

Why would you need to scrub it? The whole point of the teflon pot is
that you don't need to scrub it to get it clean. I just soak the pot
for a while and then use a scotchbrite cloth to get rid of the debris.

I wouldn't want a non-teflon rice cooker.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 6, 2008, 2:47:38 PM3/6/08
On Mar 4, 9:54 pm, Charles van Blommestein <cvanb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have bought a new Electric rice cooker tonight.  I bought the
> Procotor Silex 10 cup unit (I normally cook for only myself.)
> This unit has a Tephlon-coated removeable drum for cooking rice.
> *My ultimate goal was to buy a replacement unit for the 12 cup Tiger
> brand unit that burned out it's heater core, last week.  -  I also
> shopped for a unit that will allow me to steam veggies while cooking
> the rice.
> %This unit has no steaming "basket", per-se.
>
> I am wondering how "safe"; if so I am to cook any food with the
> coating of tephlon inside this drum.

The reason that Teflon is nonstick is that it is inert. At
temperatures
below about 660 F, Teflon does not react with other substances,
including your body.

At temperatures above about 660 F, Teflon begins to decompose and
releases gases. Your rice cooker operates at or below 212 F.
For the use that you intend to give it, your rice cooker is as safe
as it gets.

Cindy Hamilton