Dust bunnies under your fridge?

Devo

Feb 27, 2009, 11:12:41 AM2/27/09
We bought a used fridge and did it have a clogged cooling system. Dust
bunnies
covering what should be a radiator. I had to use compressed air and a
vacuum..
And a brush to dislodge it all. You might check your fridge for da
bunnies.
Your fridge will last longer and use less electricity.
--
It's amazing what you can do. If...
you put your mind to it.

Rod Speed

Feb 27, 2009, 2:04:14 PM2/27/09
Devo wrote:

> We bought a used fridge and did it have a clogged cooling system.
> Dust bunnies covering what should be a radiator. I had to use
> compressed air and a vacuum..

> And a brush to dislodge it all. You might check your fridge for da bunnies.

> Your fridge will last longer

Nope.

> and use less electricity.

Not necessarily.

phil scott

Feb 27, 2009, 9:56:16 PM2/27/09

good advice... I was in that business 40 years ago... I saw many
clogged totally with heavy carpet like matts of
compressed fuzz bunnyies.

it ruins the compressors...it can happen in a couple of years if you
have pets, or a messy home.

Phil scott

phil scott

Feb 27, 2009, 9:56:39 PM2/27/09

incorrecto turd breath.

Vic Smith

Feb 27, 2009, 10:04:20 PM2/27/09

I bought a Kenmore (this ones a Whirlpool) 4 years ago and the
compressor is banging when it shuts down.
Turned it over to clean it and look for something loose.
Wasn't too dirty, as I had run a brush underneath it a couple times.
I was expecting a belt run compressor but it was a sealed unit.
The banging is inside the unit.
Don't know how long it will last.
Not worth fixing, since is this compressor went bad so fast the next
one might too.
Seems it's getting hard to find reliable appliances.

--Vic

Vic Smith

Feb 27, 2009, 10:07:10 PM2/27/09

Thermodynamic laws don't mean much when you just want to be
disagreeable.

--Vic

Rod Speed

Feb 27, 2009, 10:54:44 PM2/27/09

Nope.

jim mac

Feb 28, 2009, 4:02:42 AM2/28/09
In article <92ahq4poug6acscbc...@4ax.com>,
Vic Smith <thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote:

It will most likly last for years, a lot of compressors do that.
--
spell 'usenet' backward for e-mail

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 28, 2009, 10:03:30 AM2/28/09
On Feb 27, 10:04 pm, Vic Smith <thismailautodele...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Your compressor did not go bad yet. It may function for another 15
years. Inside the case, the motor is supported by several springs that
center it and cushion the vibration on shutdown. One of those springs
is weak, probably not broken. This is a very common process and many
people experience it without paying any attention.

JonquilJan

Feb 28, 2009, 1:24:59 PM2/28/09

Devo <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote in message

Even when you've named them???

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Dennis

Feb 28, 2009, 1:49:44 PM2/28/09
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:04:20 -0600, Vic Smith
<thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote:

>I bought a Kenmore (this ones a Whirlpool) 4 years ago and the
>compressor is banging when it shuts down.
>Turned it over to clean it and look for something loose.
>Wasn't too dirty, as I had run a brush underneath it a couple times.
>I was expecting a belt run compressor but it was a sealed unit.
>The banging is inside the unit.
>Don't know how long it will last.
>Not worth fixing, since is this compressor went bad so fast the next
>one might too.

Same thing happened a couple years ago to our ca. 2000 KitchenAid frig
(also made by Whirlpool). The compressor is supported by a couple of
springs inside the sealed unit. One of the springs/mounts broke,
allowing the mechanism to flop around. This will eventually lead to
failure, probably a break in the freon line from mechanical stress (so
I was told by the service guy). We let it bang around for a year or
so, then got it fixed under the (parts-only) period of the warranty.
Still cost almost US$400 for the pickup/return, labor and non-covered
parts (freon recharge). Seemed better at the time than over US$800 to
replace the whole thing, though.

Then last week it quit cooling. Great, I thought, the replacement
compressor has failed. But did some googling and found
troubleshooting tips. Turned out the evaporator coil had iced up. I
disassembled the freezer section to uncover the coils and defrosted
them with a hair dryer. Now it cooled again, but there was obviously
something wrong with the auto defrost. I ran out of time to dink with
it, so my wife called the repairman -- US$15 part + US$50 service
call. All seems to be well so far.

>Seems it's getting hard to find reliable appliances.

Agreed. The Whirlpool refrigerator I bought new in 1985 is still
running great (in a rental) with no service required yet.

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.

phil scott

Feb 28, 2009, 2:01:07 PM2/28/09
> --Vic- Hide quoted text -

the motor/compressor module it mounted on springs insidie the welded
steel hermetic enclosure... banging happens when the springs begin to
sag, its not typically a sign of trouble. it can also happen if yer
refrig gets too far off level... a dirty condenser will also cause it
run at hgher pressures than it should, increasing applied torque, so
when the compressor shuts off the release of torque is such that it
banks on the welded can.

try cleaning the condenser, and being sure the refrig has plenty of
room around it to circulate air.

Phil scott

Vic Smith

Feb 28, 2009, 5:15:29 PM2/28/09
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:49:44 -0800, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:04:20 -0600, Vic Smith
><thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote:

First, thanks to everybody for that info about banging.
Never heard it before on any fridge I ever had.
It really bangs and rattles when it stops, but knowing it could last a
while will quiet it down for me.

>Same thing happened a couple years ago to our ca. 2000 KitchenAid frig
>(also made by Whirlpool). The compressor is supported by a couple of
>springs inside the sealed unit. One of the springs/mounts broke,
>allowing the mechanism to flop around. This will eventually lead to
>failure, probably a break in the freon line from mechanical stress (so
>I was told by the service guy). We let it bang around for a year or
>so, then got it fixed under the (parts-only) period of the warranty.
>Still cost almost US$400 for the pickup/return, labor and non-covered
>parts (freon recharge). Seemed better at the time than over US$800 to
>replace the whole thing, though.

I only paid @$450 for this one...but still.

snip

>>Seems it's getting hard to find reliable appliances.
>
>Agreed. The Whirlpool refrigerator I bought new in 1985 is still
>running great (in a rental) with no service required yet.

I've got a Westinghouse in the basement that's probably mid-50's
and working fine. The single door with a flap door freezer inside
type.
I've taken to looking at the customer reviews on seller websites to
get an idea about reliability. Not very scientific, but then neither
is Consumer Reports.
I felt compelled to buy a 5-year parts/labor warranty on a GE washing
machine I bought last year, adding $200 to the price.
And it was one of the highest rated on the Sears reviews.
Never would have considered that 25 years ago, which was the last time
I bought one.

--Vic

phil scott

Mar 1, 2009, 1:33:33 PM3/1/09
> --Vic- Hide quoted text -

Im a Mech engr with thermodynamic specialties... the loss of
efficiency though is not due to thermodyamics however but to loss of
volumentric efficiency in the compressor as the compression ratio
increases (due to dirty condenser),,, the figure in usual ranges is a
3% loss of efficiency for each degee rise in condensing temperature
above ideal ranges. (thats because of refrigerant re-expansion at the
top of the stroke, precluding suction until the cylinder pressure
falls below the evaporator pressure)... efficiency can easly drop to
zero... you get no suction gas cooling prior to that, and the
compressor goes off on its internal temperature overload.. (same is
true for roller, and rotary compressors).

Phil scott

Vic Smith

Mar 1, 2009, 2:31:00 PM3/1/09

Glad I gave you an opportunity to talk about volumetric efficiency.
Of course I don't what that is like you do, and won't even try to get
into a chicken/egg type argument.
All I know is dust is an insulator and slows heat removal from
compressed refrigerant gasses.
Surprised Rod didn't know even that.
Same applies to computer component heat.
Seems he would argue about sweat not removing heat just to be arguing
about something.
Don't reply to this Rod. Just flush it where it belongs.

--Vic

Rod Speed

Mar 1, 2009, 4:01:38 PM3/1/09

Corse I did.

You're too stupid to be able to grasp that its perfectly possible to design a
system that works well with the normal level of dust that will accumulate.

> Same applies to computer component heat.

Nope. Its also perfectly possible to design the cooling system so it
works well with the normal level of dust that inevitably accumulates.

Nothing is gained by having it run cooler than it needs to be.

> Seems he would argue about sweat not removing heat just to be arguing about something.

Just rub the noses of fools like you in the basics.

> Don't reply to this Rod. Just flush it where it belongs.

Go and fuck yourself, again.

phil scott

Mar 1, 2009, 9:07:25 PM3/1/09
On Mar 1, 11:31 am, Vic Smith <thismailautodele...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 10:33:33 -0800 (PST), phil scott

Rod speed is a rather nasty troll...there are faq's on him all over
the net.

The volumetric efficiency issue is one only a few engineers in the
compressor business are familar with,
all engineers though in HVAC and refrigeration have charts de-rating
the capcity of thier equipment as condensing temperatures rise.

Phil scott