replacement car tires

Ohioguy

Aug 15, 2010, 4:12:40 PM8/15/10
Are the manufacturer warranties on tires worth anything?

Typically, we replace our tires with new ones after about 2 or 2.5
years, just so we don't risk being on vacation or something and having
problems.

In the past, I've always gone to the same place and had them install
Dayton brand tires. I liked the fact that they were made in the USA, in
a factory that employed about 1,800.

We have a different car than we had last year, but my records show
that the last time we got new tires was 2007. At that time, we paid $60
per tire. When I called yesterday, they said each would be about $88 -
almost a 50% increase.

That's huge for such a short period. Is there a rubber shortage or
something?

Anyway, I find myself re-evaluating my habits here. I'm wondering if
it might be worth it to shop around online or something, and find a
place that offers a lower price, or higher tire wear warranty.

I'm just not sure it would be worth it. In my experience, the tires
last longest if they are regularly balanced & such. I think most places
charge for this, don't they? One thing I liked about the place we've
used is that you can come back every 10k and have rotation & balance
done free.

Even Wal-Mart has higher prices now that I've checked - $75 for a
decent tire there, and that doesn't even include installation,
balancing, rotation, etc. (it's $90 per tire with those included)

Are there any places online that offer good prices and low shipping
on a 60k or 80k mile warranted tire? Would I be better off sticking
with the local place because of the service that they offer?

Al

Aug 15, 2010, 6:36:53 PM8/15/10

Last time I paid about $110 per tire for four large truck tires. I let
the GoodYear shop show me what they have and I depend on them to
reveal the various grades. The tires seem to last forever. I replace
when they get down on tread because I like a good tread on the snow.
The price included new stems and balancing. They would rotate them
free, but I keep my alignment tight and never have unusual wear so it
doesn't seem necessary. Tires are more expensive because tires are
made from OIL.
How many miles are you getting on a set of tires?
If you buy tires online you will pay substantial shipping and it will
cost $12-15 per tire for mounting, balancing and tire disposal. You
are also going to waste a lot of time moving tires around and waiting
for service behind those who are buying new tires.
My view is not standard on this, but I don't buy products based on
warranty whatsoever. I'd buy a new car with no warranty if they would
reduce the cost in line with the baked in warranty charge.

The Henchman

Aug 15, 2010, 7:02:28 PM8/15/10

"Ohioguy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message

Tires come in many flavours: Are you looking at touring or weather or
performance or radial? What class of car?

Many places offer free rotations. One of the few items I buy at Costco or
Sam's Club is Tires. I only buy premium tires though (Michelins or
Bridgestone) for safety and weather reasons, i.e. piece of mind but those
warehouse club stores save me about $50 a tire and I get nitrogen filled.
Free valve stems I think so that's a savings of $5 per tire. They still
charge for balancing though but that's up here. Last two times I paid $600
for 4 premium Michelin tires for my mid sized v6 at Costco.

Wal-Mart have had major issues with Goodyear and Nexan tires in Canada. BF
Goodrich are cheaper versions of Michelin and Costco stock those.

While you are at it if you have alloys rims get the new installer to make
sure the rims are good and not corroding.

Clams

Aug 15, 2010, 7:54:53 PM8/15/10
Ohioguy wrote:
> Are the manufacturer warranties on tires worth anything?
>
> Typically, we replace our tires with new ones after about 2 or 2.5
> years, just so we don't risk being on vacation or something and having
> problems.

Either you are driving a lot, your car has poor suspension or you must
be buying really poor grade tires. At 120k miles, I've only replaced
two of the original tires on my Pilot (at 95k).

I considered replacing the other two last winter, the the tires dealer
told me I had at least another year (who would guess a tire dealer would
turn away business.) He was correct. I've gotten another 15k miles
and they are still legal by inspection standards, although I will likely
replace the second two in November, just to have better tread depth for
the winter.

> In the past, I've always gone to the same place and had them install
> Dayton brand tires. I liked the fact that they were made in the USA, in
> a factory that employed about 1,800.

That may be your problem. My Michelins seem to last forever - both on
my 2000 Accord and my 2005 Pilot.

> We have a different car than we had last year, but my records show
> that the last time we got new tires was 2007. At that time, we paid $60
> per tire. When I called yesterday, they said each would be about $88 -
> almost a 50% increase.

My Accord's Michelins were $150 installed/ balance, etc back in 2006.
Well worth the price, although someone with perhaps 200k miles may not
want to invest that much in a car that might not last another 100k.

> That's huge for such a short period. Is there a rubber shortage or
> something?
>
> Anyway, I find myself re-evaluating my habits here. I'm wondering if
> it might be worth it to shop around online or something, and find a
> place that offers a lower price, or higher tire wear warranty.
>
> I'm just not sure it would be worth it. In my experience, the tires
> last longest if they are regularly balanced & such.

I only rotate every 20k and only needed one set of balancing in 95k with
one (minor) alignment at 75k.

I think most places
> charge for this, don't they?

most here include lifetime rotation, but charge for balancing. From
what I recall, Walmart charges relative small fee for lifetime balancing.

One thing I liked about the place we've
> used is that you can come back every 10k and have rotation & balance
> done free.
>
> Even Wal-Mart has higher prices now that I've checked - $75 for a
> decent tire there, and that doesn't even include installation,
> balancing, rotation, etc. (it's $90 per tire with those included)
>
> Are there any places online that offer good prices and low shipping on
> a 60k or 80k mile warranted tire? Would I be better off sticking with
> the local place because of the service that they offer?

I'd try to figure why your tires are wearing out so quickly - poor tire
quality, driving habits (proper inflation is more important than
rotation) or alignment problems.

Forrest Hodge

Aug 16, 2010, 2:11:40 AM8/16/10

You must be buying some cheap-ass tires. Mine cost about $180 a piece
and last about 25k-30k miles. I however favor excellent grip over
longevity any day. Anyway tires and brakes are two areas where it's
foolish to pinch pennies IMHO, they are two most important safety
features of any car.

Ohioguy

Aug 16, 2010, 7:16:40 AM8/16/10
> Either you are driving a lot, your car has poor suspension or you must
> be buying really poor grade tires. At 120k miles, I've only replaced
> two of the original tires on my Pilot (at 95k).

It's mostly that I visually inspect the tires, which sit out in the
sun all the time. Once I start to see even a tiny bit of cracking in
the rubber sidewalls, I'll replace them. The used tire places probably
love getting my tires, because they still have a lot of tread on them.

In other words, we probably only put half of the wear on them that we
could get. However, I don't think that $250 every 2 or 2.5 years is too
much to spend in order to make sure the tires have good traction, and
that a blowout our something is less likely when we take a long trip.
Of course, now that the cost is getting up closer to $400, I'm less
likely to replace them this often.

Bob F

Aug 16, 2010, 2:44:10 PM8/16/10
Al wrote:
> My view is not standard on this, but I don't buy products based on
> warranty whatsoever. I'd buy a new car with no warranty if they would
> reduce the cost in line with the baked in warranty charge.

If a manufacturer doesn't offer a warrantee, they won't have proper motivation
to maintain the quality of their product.

Bob F

Aug 16, 2010, 2:54:03 PM8/16/10

I have never felt the need to replace tires for that reason. Tiny cracks on the
outside rubber have no effect on the strength of the tire. The outside rubber
just protects the inside belts which provide the strength and inside rubber,
which seals the air in, from the sun. In my opinion, you are just throwing away
money by replacing them so often. The only tire failure from other than physical
damage or wear I've ever had was the Firestone tread separation problem that
resulted in recalls years ago.

SMS

Aug 16, 2010, 2:59:38 PM8/16/10
On 15/08/10 1:12 PM, Ohioguy wrote:
> Are the manufacturer warranties on tires worth anything?
>
> Typically, we replace our tires with new ones after about 2 or 2.5
> years, just so we don't risk being on vacation or something and having
> problems.
>
> In the past, I've always gone to the same place and had them install
> Dayton brand tires. I liked the fact that they were made in the USA, in
> a factory that employed about 1,800.
>
> We have a different car than we had last year, but my records show that
> the last time we got new tires was 2007. At that time, we paid $60 per
> tire. When I called yesterday, they said each would be about $88 -
> almost a 50% increase.

I was astounded by the price increases in tires in the past couple of years.

Costco is usually the cheapest place for tires, by far, and the savings
exceed the cost of the membership (if you're not already a member). It's
not the base price of the tires that's so different but the fact that
they don't gouge for mounting/balancing, they don't charge for
replacement valves, they don't charge for road hazard warranty, and they
will rotate and balance the tires at no charge.

Costco also uses nitrogen rather than plain air which isn't a huge deal,
but it does help the tires last a bit longer if you're not good about
checking tire pressure. Most tire places charge at least $5 per tire to
inflate with nitrogen, which isn't worth the extra cost.

One other thing good about Costco is that unlike most tire stores, they
actually honor, without a hassle, mileage warranties for tires (provided
you rotate the tires regularly). So they'll credit you, pro-rated, if
you don't get the rated mileage out of the tires.

Pro-actively replacing tires that aren't worn out is of little benefit.
If they're not really old tires that are deteriorating because of aging
of the rubber, the types of things that can happen on vacation would
affect new tires just as much as 2 year old tires. Just be sure that you
get tires at a place where when you're on vacation you can take
advantage of any road hazard warranty if needed.

SMS

Aug 16, 2010, 3:00:39 PM8/16/10
On 15/08/10 1:12 PM, Ohioguy wrote:
> Are the manufacturer warranties on tires worth anything?

It depends on the tire dealer. Costco is very good about honoring
mileage warranties, while regular tire dealers often are not.

Clams

Aug 16, 2010, 4:49:09 PM8/16/10
Bob F wrote: The only tire failure from other than physical

> damage or wear I've ever had was the Firestone tread separation problem that
> resulted in recalls years ago.

Got stuck there, in spades. My '74 Torino had them as original
equipment. I was a relatively high mileage driver at the time and they
wore through in less than 1.5 years (22k miles). By the time the recall
was made, they were long gone. I applied, but was told I must have the
damaged tires for compensation.

Never knowingly bought a Firestone item again, but got some joy when
they went bankrupt. Won't buy any Bridgestone product either since
they took over the firestone brand.

The Henchman

Aug 17, 2010, 9:39:38 PM8/17/10

"Ohioguy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message

What kind of car are you driving where you only spend $400 for 4 tires? is
it a Civic or Corolla or cavalier/colbalt or Focus?? You never told us
what this car is you drive. $400 sounds reasonable for a compact car with
15 inch steel wheels and 9 inch brake rotors.

As far as I am concerned $250 for 4 tires is a death wish and your auto
insurance company might not want to honour your policy should you get into
an accident and hurt yourself, your family, or bystander due to unsafe
tires.

If you are a hillbilly type like my own father who only drives once a week
into town for provisions and bullets and new underwear then $250 for 4 tires
is reasonable, but if you drive more than 1000 miles a month, you will be
taking your life into your hands with $60 tires in this day in age.