Worn faded keyboard

KenK

Oct 19, 2015, 9:45:11 AM10/19/15

What can you do about very hard to read keys on a computer keyboard? I hate
to replace it as it still otherwise works. I hunt and peck so need to see
which key is which.

TIA

The Real Bev

Oct 19, 2015, 11:47:25 AM10/19/15

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Print-Key-Top-Stickers-Non-Transparent/dp/B00014VWX4

--
Cheers,
Bev

Camellia Sinensis

Oct 19, 2015, 12:16:37 PM10/19/15

>"KenK" wrote in message news:XnsA53844AD43...@130.133.4.11...

>What can you do about very hard to read keys on a computer keyboard? I hate
>to replace it as it still otherwise works. I hunt and peck so need to see
>which key is which.

>TIA

You can get a brand new generic keyboard for less than $15 just about
anywhere. Other than that I guess masking tape and a sharpie permanent
marker should do it.

KenK

Oct 19, 2015, 12:24:25 PM10/19/15
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in

> On 10/19/2015 06:45 AM, KenK wrote:
>> What can you do about very hard to read keys on a computer keyboard?
>> I hate to replace it as it still otherwise works. I hunt and peck so
>> need to see which key is which.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Large-Print-Key-Top-Stickers-Non-Transparent/dp/B
> 00014VWX4

Thank you. It would indeed solve my problem. But it is rather expensive
and, plus shipping, may be more than an inexpensive replacement keyboard.

21bla...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2015, 3:33:36 PM10/19/15
i think new keyboards are relatively inexpensive,
but just make sure you get one you like,
such as identical to the one you have...
[that might mean going out to best buy, or somewhere you can try it out]

marc

The Real Bev

Oct 19, 2015, 6:39:05 PM10/19/15
On 10/19/2015 09:18 AM, Camellia Sinensis wrote:
>>"KenK" wrote in message news:XnsA53844AD43...@130.133.4.11...
>
>>What can you do about very hard to read keys on a computer keyboard? I hate
>>to replace it as it still otherwise works. I hunt and peck so need to see
>>which key is which.
>
> You can get a brand new generic keyboard for less than $15 just about
> anywhere. Other than that I guess masking tape and a sharpie permanent
> marker should do it.

My 1988 IBM Model M keyboard looked brand new when I bothered to clean
it -- until I spilled coffee into it. Same with its 1996 replacement,
which needs some attention. I think the labels are molded into the
keytops.

Keyboards are personal. Real shame if we fall in love with one that
isn't worthy of our affection.

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev

Oct 19, 2015, 6:40:21 PM10/19/15
On 10/19/2015 09:24 AM, KenK wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On 10/19/2015 06:45 AM, KenK wrote:
>>> What can you do about very hard to read keys on a computer keyboard?
>>> I hate to replace it as it still otherwise works. I hunt and peck so
>>> need to see which key is which.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Large-Print-Key-Top-Stickers-Non-Transparent/dp/B
>> 00014VWX4
>
> Thank you. It would indeed solve my problem. But it is rather expensive
> and, plus shipping, may be more than an inexpensive replacement keyboard.

Of course. We buy keyboards at yard sales for $1...

Masking tape and a sharpie is about as cheap as it's possible to get.

--
Cheers, Bev

Bob F

Oct 19, 2015, 11:43:37 PM10/19/15
KenK wrote:
> What can you do about very hard to read keys on a computer keyboard?
> I hate to replace it as it still otherwise works. I hunt and peck so
> need to see which key is which.

Used keyboards are cheap at thrift shops or yard sales, or free/cheap on
freecycle or Craigslist frequently.

tra...@optonline.net

Oct 20, 2015, 9:05:10 AM10/20/15
On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 12:24:25 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > On 10/19/2015 06:45 AM, KenK wrote:
> >> What can you do about very hard to read keys on a computer keyboard?
> >> I hate to replace it as it still otherwise works. I hunt and peck so
> >> need to see which key is which.
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/Large-Print-Key-Top-Stickers-Non-Transparent/dp/B
> > 00014VWX4
> >

> Thank you. It would indeed solve my problem. But it is rather expensive
> and, plus shipping, may be more than an inexpensive replacement keyboard.

May be? $17 plus shipping for stickers? I'm sure you can get a
whole new keyboard for $5 on Ebay, including shipping.

The Real Bev

Oct 20, 2015, 11:09:59 AM10/20/15
Perhaps the keyboard has sentimental value...

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Michael Black

Oct 20, 2015, 7:20:30 PM10/20/15
So bronze it and hang it on the wall.

I'd put more value on it if it was an early keyboard, heavy and well
built. That's worth keeping alive, though the keycaps back then were
probably good enough that the actual caps would wear out before the
printing.

Michael

The Real Bev

Oct 20, 2015, 9:25:24 PM10/20/15
What I don't understand is how a small amount of coffee could pass
through the labyrinth that is each Model M key and short out something
that would kill the board. I feel really bad about that.

--
Cheers, Bev