Book: "Thrift: The History of an American Cultural Movement" by Andrew L. Yarrow (2014)

leno...@yahoo.com

Jan 10, 2019, 8:29:57 PM1/10/19
Found it recently.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrift-History-American-Cultural-Movement/dp/1625341326/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1547169906&sr=1-1&keywords=thrift+yarrow

I was somewhat surprised, when I checked the index, not to see anything about an older book: "The Decline of Thrift in America: Our Cultural Shift from Saving to Spending" by historian David M. Tucker. (That one was mentioned in the Tightwad Gazette.)

See below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0275936856/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i5

Lenona.

ItsJoan NotJoann

Jan 10, 2019, 8:42:10 PM1/10/19
Has someone made an inquiry about this book is why you searched it out and posted the results here?

Vic Smith

Jan 10, 2019, 10:05:05 PM1/10/19
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 17:42:08 -0800 (PST), ItsJoan NotJoann <itsjoan...@webtv.net>
wrote:
Thrift is a synonym for frugal. Duh.

ItsJoan NotJoann

Jan 10, 2019, 11:46:08 PM1/10/19
Did anyone say it wasn't?

leno...@yahoo.com

Jan 17, 2019, 10:37:31 AM1/17/19
On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 8:42:10 PM UTC-5, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:

> Has someone made an inquiry about this book is why you searched it out and posted the results here?

I stumbled on it in a Manhattan bookstore and thought people would be interested. Especially since many publishers rejected the David Tucker book since they were afraid it wouldn't sell well, given the subject - and it didn't. (It's not a how-to book, after all - it's historical.) So it's heartening to see another, more recent book on the subject.

Lenona.