Cottage cheese instead of ricotta in lasagna?

Karen Newton

Oct 25, 2006, 6:36:18 PM10/25/06
Does anyone know if it would work or be as good?
I think cottage cheese is cheaper, not sure.

Seerialmom

Oct 25, 2006, 6:42:14 PM10/25/06

Karen Newton wrote:
> Does anyone know if it would work or be as good?
> I think cottage cheese is cheaper, not sure.

Slighty different taste but I've never used ricotta in lasagna. Most
recipes say "either" will work.

Dennis

Oct 25, 2006, 6:50:08 PM10/25/06

I tried that, substituting low fat cottage cheese. I thought it
tasted fine, but maybe not quite as rich as the original recipe.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

Marie Braden

Oct 25, 2006, 6:56:02 PM10/25/06
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:50:08 -0700, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:36:18 -0400, "Karen Newton"
><karen....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know if it would work or be as good?
>>I think cottage cheese is cheaper, not sure.
>>

>I tried that, substituting low fat cottage cheese. I thought it
>tasted fine, but maybe not quite as rich as the original recipe.
>
>Dennis (evil)

I actually prefer the texture of cottage cheese when I have lasagna.

Karen Newton

Oct 25, 2006, 7:49:19 PM10/25/06
I just got back from the store. Cottage cheese was on sale for 97 cents.
The same size of ricotta was $2.99.
I bought three cottage cheese. Now I wonder if it freezes.

val189

Oct 25, 2006, 8:17:04 PM10/25/06

I'd spring for the ricotta. I like that delicate flavor vs. cottage
cheese, plus the finer texture. I figure it's still cheaper to build
your own lasagna rather than to eat out, deal wtih surly wait staff and
invariably have to hear a screaming kid at the next table.

highp...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2006, 9:07:33 PM10/25/06
I agree, building a quality *homemade* lasagna requires spending a few
dollars more for the best ingredients which certainly includes real
ricotta cheese (low fat or reg),also use homemade italian sausage
instead of ground beef...you won't regret it after all that work and
make enough so you can freeze the remainder if it survives :) It's one
dish we never cut corners on.

roger...@yahoo.com

Oct 25, 2006, 9:37:42 PM10/25/06
We've had it both ways, cottage is cheaper and you can get the lowfat
kind. Drain it. Ricotta (Regatta as they say) is the bomb but is more
$ and higher fat I think.

Still wondering why someone ever first made an oatmeal frittata.

Philip Lewis

Oct 25, 2006, 9:38:39 PM10/25/06
"Karen Newton" <karen....@gmail.com> writes:
>I bought three cottage cheese. Now I wonder if it freezes.
I've noticed a definate texture change when i've eaten previously
frozen c.cheese.... might not be noticeable once cooked.
good luck!
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

George

Oct 26, 2006, 10:35:48 AM10/26/06
Karen Newton wrote:
> Does anyone know if it would work or be as good?
> I think cottage cheese is cheaper, not sure.

There are differences between the two and I don't think cottage cheese
will taste as good. I don't know your budget but if I am going through
the work to make a homemade item I would tend to use the tastier/better
ingredient(s).

Karen Newton

Oct 26, 2006, 1:03:03 PM10/26/06
BTW, they sell oven-ready lasagna noodles for the same price as regular
lasagna noodles now.
They don't need to be boiled. So it really isn't much work to make a
lasagna.
It's in the oven now.

Tracey

Oct 26, 2006, 1:04:22 PM10/26/06

"Karen Newton" <karen....@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone know if it would work or be as good?

My Mom has always made lasagna with cottage cheese....I grew up never even
knowing that you 'could' put ricotta in it.

val189

Oct 26, 2006, 1:06:26 PM10/26/06

c....@g.mail wrote:
> I agree, building a quality *homemade* lasagna requires spending a few
> dollars more for the best ingredients which certainly includes real
> ricotta cheese (low fat or reg),also use homemade italian sausage
> instead of ground beef...you won't regret it after all that work and
> make enough so you can freeze the remainder if it survives :) It's one
> dish we never cut corners on.

And don't forget to include leftover braciole shredded up and stirred
into your homemade sauce.....

Ward Abbott

Oct 26, 2006, 5:40:51 PM10/26/06
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:04:22 GMT, "Tracey" <pep...@redherring.com>
wrote:

>My Mom has always made lasagna with cottage cheese....I grew up never even
>knowing that you 'could' put ricotta in it.

I too, have always used cottage cheese, well drained. Place in food
processor with fresh basil leaves, to taste and a 1/2 cup grated
parmesan. Puree until smooth...and it does turn green but the flavor
is out of this world.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

MJ

Oct 26, 2006, 5:58:58 PM10/26/06
Karen Newton wrote:

> Does anyone know if it would work or be as good?
> I think cottage cheese is cheaper, not sure.

Depends - do you believe Olive Garden serves Italian style dishes?

Michael Black

Oct 26, 2006, 7:17:46 PM10/26/06
I never knew you were supposed to use ricotta, up until I was an adult,
and maybe well into it.

Michael

Karen Newton

Oct 26, 2006, 8:26:42 PM10/26/06
Do you mean broccoli?

On Oct 26, 1:06 pm, "val189" <gwehr...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> c...@g.mail wrote:
> > I agree, building a quality *homemade* lasagna requires spending a few
> > dollars more for the best ingredients which certainly includes real
> > ricotta cheese (low fat or reg),also use homemade italian sausage
> > instead of ground beef...you won't regret it after all that work and
> > make enough so you can freeze the remainder if it survives :) It's one

> > dish we never cut corners on.And don't forget to include leftover braciole shredded up and stirred
> into your homemade sauce.....

Kay

Oct 27, 2006, 12:16:13 AM10/27/06

"MJ" <mikes...@cox.net> wrote in message

I have a recipe that's pretty easy for a quick meal. Uncooked noodles, a
carton of cottage cheese with a egg mixed in, meat sauce. and mozzarella
cheese. Put a little sauce with no meat on bottom of pan, lay noodles
length of pan, half the meat sauce, half the cottage cheese mixture,
uncooked noodles laid width of pan, rest of cottage cheese mixture and meat
sauce and top with mozzarella cheese. When its all together take a cup of
water and put it in on the side of pan while pulling it away with a fork.
Cover with tinfoil and cook for about 45 minutes and remove tinfoil and cook
for another 20 to 30 minutes, until mozzarella cheese is the way you like
it. It was quick and easy and could be made the night before so whoever got
home first could put it in the oven. I may have the layering mixed up but I
do remember you put the plain sauce on the bottom of the pan first and then
the noodles. I fixed it a lot in college and everyone loved it.

Kay

cat

Oct 27, 2006, 11:30:14 AM10/27/06
"Tracey" <pep...@redherring.com> wrote in message

> "Karen Newton" <karen....@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Does anyone know if it would work or be as good?

> My Mom has always made lasagna with cottage cheese....I grew up never even
> knowing that you 'could' put ricotta in it.

So did mine. Are you my sister?

I suppose you could put the cottage cheese in the blender to get rid of the
chunky texture.

Tracey

Oct 27, 2006, 11:32:50 AM10/27/06

> Do you mean broccoli?

Braciole is a cut of beef, commonly used in gravy (Tomato sauce)

Karen Newton

Oct 27, 2006, 11:37:57 AM10/27/06
I made the lasagna with the cottage cheese. I wolfed down two pieces so
fast I can't tell the difference.
I think lasagna is so good you could probably make it with wallpaper paste
and it would taste good.

gamer

Oct 27, 2006, 11:50:31 AM10/27/06
Karen Newton wrote:

So you have eaten at Olive Garden.

val189

Oct 27, 2006, 12:43:26 PM10/27/06

Karen Newton wrote:
> Do you mean broccoli?

No - it's a rolled, herbed and garlicked skirt steak affair, cooked til
fork tender. Too bad Italian restaurants rarely offer this on their
menu.

The Real Bev

Oct 27, 2006, 10:45:25 PM10/27/06
Tracey wrote:

> "Karen Newton" <karen....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone know if it would work or be as good?
>
> My Mom has always made lasagna with cottage cheese....I grew up never even
> knowing that you 'could' put ricotta in it.

I run cottage cheese with a little lemon juice and maybe parsley or
oregano through the blender. The curds are a dead giveaway.

JPL used to put large-curd cotage cheese in the cafeteria blue cheese
dressing -- apparently the lumps were convincing if you weren't paying
all that much attention.

--
Cheers, Bev
===================================

Karen Newton

Oct 27, 2006, 11:05:14 PM10/27/06

> I run cottage cheese with a little lemon juice and maybe parsley or
> oregano through the blender. The curds are a dead giveaway.
>>
> --
> Cheers, Bev

That's a good idea. I'm going to try that.

Dennis

Oct 28, 2006, 12:10:04 PM10/28/06
On 28 Oct 2006 04:45:25 +0200, The Real Bev <bashle...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I run cottage cheese with a little lemon juice and maybe parsley or
>oregano through the blender. The curds are a dead giveaway.

I usually mix it with some minced garlic. But then, I'm of the
opinion that the only thing better than garlic is more garlic.

filbert...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2019, 12:59:24 PM7/4/19
On Thursday, October 26, 2006 at 2:36:18 AM UTC+4, Karen Newton wrote:
> Does anyone know if it would work or be as good?
> I think cottage cheese is cheaper, not sure.

Hi Everyone! I know best lasagna recipes. Check it here - https://club.cooking/recipe-category/lasagna/

Homemade Lasagna, Vegetable, Mushroom,Cabbage, Turkey, Meat and Healthy Lasagna
You will like it! Enjoy))

John Weiss

Jul 4, 2019, 1:31:41 PM7/4/19
On Thursday, October 26, 2006 at 2:36:18 AM UTC+4, Karen Newton wrote:
> Does anyone know if it would work or be as good?
> I think cottage cheese is cheaper, not sure.

They are not the same. Cottage cheese has MUCH more water, so the
lasagna will be soupy. The flavors are different, too.

The Real Bev

Jul 4, 2019, 7:13:13 PM7/4/19
On 07/04/2019 09:59 AM, filbert...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, October 26, 2006 at 2:36:18 AM UTC+4, Karen Newton wrote:
>> Does anyone know if it would work or be as good?
>> I think cottage cheese is cheaper, not sure.

I made it with cottage cheese. Feed it through the blender to make it
smoother. I also used flour tortillas once when I was in a hurry.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I never understood why anyone would go to the trouble to write a novel

The Real Bev

Jul 4, 2019, 7:13:37 PM7/4/19
Drain it.

ItsJoan NotJoann

Jul 4, 2019, 11:42:30 PM7/4/19
You do know you are replying to a thirteen (13) year old post, correct?

John Weiss

Jul 5, 2019, 1:08:40 AM7/5/19
On 7/4/2019 20:42, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
>> On Thursday, October 26, 2006 at 2:36:18 AM UTC+4, Karen Newton wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if it would work or be as good?
>>> I think cottage cheese is cheaper, not sure.
>>
>> They are not the same. Cottage cheese has MUCH more water, so the
>> lasagna will be soupy. The flavors are different, too.
>>
> You do know you are replying to a thirteen (13) year old post, correct?

Nope. I didn't look at the date. I also have no idea why it suddenly
popped up here...

tra...@optonline.net

Jul 5, 2019, 11:02:12 AM7/5/19
Many delicious lasagnas are made with a bechamel sauce made of milk, flour and
parmesan cheese, instead of ricotta. Someone could work out the cost of
that, it tastes mighty fine.

ItsJoan NotJoann

Jul 5, 2019, 4:21:09 PM7/5/19
It popped up because a spammer drug up the old thread to promote their site.