PBS Irish potato famine I think I found a cheap diet

sr

Oct 28, 2009, 9:58:45 PM10/28/09
A statement was made on the PBS program that the Irish economy thrived
because of the potato ;that, the Irish had the full nutritional diet with
just the potato and milk ! Wow, cheap enough!

Rod Speed

Oct 28, 2009, 11:03:19 PM10/28/09
sr wrote

> A statement was made on the PBS program that the Irish economy thrived because of the potato

In fact its much more complicated than that and the english
continued to export grain grown there even when the irish
were starving during the potato blight famine.

> ;that, the Irish had the full nutritional diet with just the potato and milk ! Wow, cheap enough!

Yeah, and easy to grow potatoes yourself too.

Not sure you really need the milk to have
an adequate diet, particularly for adults.

I do eat quite a few potatoes, but always as veg with meat.

But then I'm rolling in it and can eat anything I like.

Rice is pretty cheap too, except when its price has spiked due to drought etc.

Zuke

Oct 29, 2009, 1:37:27 PM10/29/09

That PBS show is based on a great book called "The Botany of Desire".

Rod Speed

Oct 29, 2009, 2:17:51 PM10/29/09
Zuke wrote

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=tsx9xvkhqEQC

Thanks for that.

frater mus

Oct 29, 2009, 6:58:26 PM10/29/09

In college I dated a vegetarian grrrl who ate, basically, only baked
potatoes and Miller Lite.

She was a little strange.

--
L.V.X., brother mouse

Les Cargill

Oct 30, 2009, 12:01:46 AM10/30/09

I completely enjoyed the exploitation of such a fallacy as artfully
as it was done. Excellent entertainment, leading to much provocation
of thought.

One method used for a long time is "thesis, antithesis, synthesis" and
I think this qualified for that program.

If you have Netflix, it will soon be streamed.

--
Les Cargill

Les Cargill

Oct 30, 2009, 12:02:17 AM10/30/09

Was she bipolar?

--
Les Cargill

sr

Oct 30, 2009, 5:04:59 PM10/30/09

"frater mus" <pan2009....@spamgourmet.net> wrote in message
0000000000

She wasn't drinking that potato?
I love a salad with my baked potato. I believe the potato produces
serotonin, that is like a
tranquilizer, Not the word I wanted, but it has a calming effect on some
people.
> --
> L.V.X., brother mouse

sr

Oct 31, 2009, 12:32:03 AM10/31/09

"sr" <sol...@uninets.net> wrote in message

> "frater mus" <pan2009....@spamgourmet.net> wrote in message
-----------

About Potatoes:
still cheap
The potato is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. One medium
potato provides a healthy dose of magnesium, iron, potassium, fiber, vitamin
C and niacin. 4 g of protein, 2.13 sugars,3.6 fiber size 2 1/4"
==========but----Genetically altered potatoes now being grown actually
produce their own insecticide.,( or was, at this time. the greeners
protested the Monsanto altered potato. This genetic alterning was done to
discourage the potato bug, to reduce chemical spray. A lot of chemicals go
into the dirt so, potato being a root veg, is going to be absorbed into the
potato. But the protesters, got it off the market, therefore, ---you know
the rest
===

Rod Speed

Oct 31, 2009, 12:54:04 AM10/31/09
sr wrote
> sr <sol...@uninets.net> wrote
>> frater mus <pan2009....@spamgourmet.net> wrote

> About Potatoes:
> still cheap

And very easy to grow too. Not even any starting cost, you can
grow them from the discards that have sprouted or have gone
green or even from the peelings or just the eyes from what you eat.

> The potato is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. One medium
> potato provides a healthy dose of magnesium, iron, potassium, fiber,
> vitamin C and niacin. 4 g of protein, 2.13 sugars,3.6 fiber size 2
> 1/4" ==========but----Genetically altered potatoes now being grown
> actually produce their own insecticide.,( or was, at this time. the
> greeners protested the Monsanto altered potato. This genetic
> alterning was done to discourage the potato bug, to reduce chemical
> spray. A lot of chemicals go into the dirt so, potato being a root
> veg, is going to be absorbed into the potato. But the protesters,
> got it off the market, therefore, ---you know the rest
> ===

Its still available if you want it.

frater mus

Oct 31, 2009, 11:14:43 AM10/31/09
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:02:17 -0500, Les Cargill wrote:

>> She was a little strange.

> Was she bipolar?

She was unipolar: lethargic.

--
L.V.X., brother mouse

sr

Nov 2, 2009, 11:17:34 PM11/2/09

"sr" <sol...@uninets.net> wrote in message

along with your potato and milk, you will need oatmeal to combat molybdenum
deficients

Rod Speed

Nov 3, 2009, 12:28:56 AM11/3/09
sr wrote:
> "sr" <sol...@uninets.net> wrote in message

> along with your potato and milk, you will need oatmeal to combat molybdenum deficients

Nope, the irish didnt bother and did fine without that.

sr

Nov 3, 2009, 9:29:22 PM11/3/09

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Oatmeal was one of their staples, along with other grains, at one time, but
I was saying today, to prevent the molybdenum defeciencies , to have oatmeal
along with the potato and milk. No doubt, during hard times the Irish
probably only had potatoes and survived. The potato was called a lumpard
descriptive word I just caught the beginning of the program tracing the
various potatoes from Andies to Europe, the various kinds, the blight, etc.
Very interesting, who would have thought the common potato could be so
interesting. Now, it seems history will repeat itsself as McDonald's only
uses one type of potato that they request to be planted where ever their
business happens to be, therefore, experts are afraid the limited type of
potato will cause the potato to go through what happened in Ireland. the
lumper and the cup made up the staple for 3 million Irish,the limited gene
variation opened the potato up to decimation of the plant. At one time they
grew a dozen varieties, 200 years earlier, plus a variety of grains, but the
diversity had disappeared by the time of the famine.
I see what you meant about the grain being shipped to England, they could
pay a higher price than the poor Irish. Boy, that would get your Irish up!

Rod Speed

Nov 3, 2009, 10:12:55 PM11/3/09

Nope, essentially because McDs only takes a tiny subset of the potatoes grown.

> the lumper and the cup made up the staple for 3 million Irish,the
> limited gene variation opened the potato up to decimation of the
> plant. At one time they grew a dozen varieties, 200 years earlier,
> plus a variety of grains, but the diversity had disappeared by the
> time of the famine.

I dont believe that is right, they werent down to just one at that time.

john royce

Nov 4, 2009, 9:04:31 AM11/4/09

"Les Cargill" <lcarg...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Was she bipolar?

> Les Cargill

There was a case reported some time ago here in the u.k., of an old lady
who confounded nuitritionists and others; when they discovered that for the
last umpteen years she had only eaten tinned rice pudding !

sr

Nov 5, 2009, 1:40:48 AM11/5/09

"john royce" <blue...@mail.invalid> wrote in message
--
Was she walking around? What shape was she in? how old?
all kinds of rice cures, but not for a life long intake, goodness

Rod Speed

Nov 5, 2009, 4:17:24 AM11/5/09
sr wrote:
> "john royce" <blue...@mail.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Les Cargill" <lcarg...@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Was she bipolar?

>> There was a case reported some time ago here in the u.k., of an old

>> lady who confounded nuitritionists and others; when they discovered
>> that for the last umpteen years she had only eaten tinned rice pudding !

> Was she walking around?

Yep.

> What shape was she in?

Rather skinny.

> how old?

Way past her useby date.

> all kinds of rice cures, but not for a life long intake, goodness

> She has the milk, probably eggs in the pudding and the rice. How much didhe eat of this?

Nothing else.

> curious, again

Dont forget what that did to the cat.

And you had a line with just -- on it in front of your
'contribution' so it got treated as your sig and deleted.