Frugal New York City

Beaver Fever

May 19, 2022, 5:34:52 PM5/19/22
Already got the flight and room

Any ideas?

Leo Isenteze

May 21, 2022, 4:18:40 PM5/21/22
On 5/19/2022 5:34 PM, Beaver Fever wrote:
> Already got the flight and room
>
> Any ideas?

Learn how to read the NYC subway map and how the MetroCard works. Using
the subway and walking will get you where you want to go.

Most frugal sightseeing activity is free Staten Island Ferry ride. Has
great view of the Statue of Liberty.

It is worth paying $31.00 to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

Do not buy anything from the hucksters in Battery Park.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn and back.

Take the Path Train from the World Trade Center to Hoboken. Get a deli
sandwich on Hoboken bread at Fiore Deli, 414 Adams St. or Luca Brasi's,
100 Park Ave.

Take walks in Central Park.

Visit Grant's Tomb.

Take a walk on The High Bridge from Manhattan to The Bronx.

Take a walk on High Line Park.

Have fun.

Leo Isenteze

May 21, 2022, 4:25:54 PM5/21/22
On 5/19/2022 5:34 PM, Beaver Fever wrote:
> Already got the flight and room
>
> Any ideas?

If you want to go to Broadway shows get same day discount tickets at TKTS.

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/tkts-ticket-booths

Beaver Fever

May 22, 2022, 3:18:55 PM5/22/22
Awesome, thanks! Want to do a lot of just walking around and sightseeing

Going to be there 3 nights, I can always extend if I don't get enough done but we are also going up against the weekend.

I haven't booked the return flight and wondering what other things to do. I really want to go to the Smithsonian but not sure what shape my back will be in by then.

Beaver Fever

May 22, 2022, 3:20:49 PM5/22/22
Awesome! Also a dedicated user of the secondary market often finding amazing deals.

I might check something out as a last resort but think all my evenings might be booked.

Mainly decided MSG should be on the bucket list and when I decided I didn't want to go home right away after visiting my mom I was able to book the trip!

David Samuel Barr

May 22, 2022, 5:19:51 PM5/22/22
The Smithsonian is in Washington DC, not NYC.

Most of the above suggestions are rather
far-flung and time-consuming, especially
if you're only here a few days. Some
other possibilities:

Rather than head out to New Jersey for
deli food, take the #1 subway train to
79th Street, walk to 80th Street to
Zabar's, assemble the makings of lunch
from their many offerings, then walk
west to Riverside Park to eat it.
Once finished, get on the #5 downtown
bus on Riverside Drive and let it
drive you down Broadway and 5th Avenue
past many of NYC's sites. It used to
go all the way down to Battery Park
but now it ends at 31st Street and the
rest of the trip is covered by the #55
to which you can transfer at 42nd Street.

If the idea is to get a sense of New
York rather than just tourist attractions
you can just wander the streets of
various neighbourhoods, where often
there are interesting features which
don't make the guidebooks. Some areas
are better than others for this, of
course, such as the West Village (west
of 7th Avenue, between Houston and
14th Streets).
Message has been deleted

gggg gggg

May 22, 2022, 9:34:58 PM5/22/22
On Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 1:18:40 PM UTC-7, Leo Isenteze wrote:
> On 5/19/2022 5:34 PM, Beaver Fever wrote:
> > Already got the flight and room
> >
> > Any ideas?
> Learn how to read the NYC subway map and how the MetroCard works. Using
> the subway and walking will get you where you want to go...

Be alert unless you want to end up as just another NYC crime statistic:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/22/us/man-fatally-shot-on-new-york-city-subway/index.html

gggg gggg

May 22, 2022, 9:40:01 PM5/22/22
(Recent Youtube upload):

"NYPD asks public for help finding Canal Street subway station shooting suspect"

gggg gggg

May 23, 2022, 11:49:54 AM5/23/22

Beaver Fever

May 23, 2022, 4:58:16 PM5/23/22
Oh I know I was thinking of going there next.

There was like one left for a decent price Southwest from LGA to BUR so I went ahead and grabbed it tho I don't really wanna go home
Thanks! I love to just walk around cities.

Beaver Fever

May 23, 2022, 6:28:30 PM5/23/22
I saw a rolling headline and immediately said wait I am 48

Beaver Fever

May 29, 2022, 12:57:24 PM5/29/22
Now I want to move there. Temporarily. Keep my place here. Any ideas?

Beaver Fever

May 29, 2022, 3:05:04 PM5/29/22
Area around MSG/Empire State Building or by Central Park would be perfect

gggg gggg

Jun 30, 2022, 2:58:25 AM6/30/22

Beaver Fever

Jun 30, 2022, 5:52:12 PM6/30/22
yeah shit like this happens anywhere

but not supposed to happen where rent runs 5-10k

Bob F

Jun 30, 2022, 9:50:35 PM6/30/22
But trump's supreme court just gave the order to let it go wild.

Beaver Fever

Jul 1, 2022, 11:18:06 PM7/1/22
Domestic incident

Almost normal human behavior

Beeper

Jul 2, 2022, 11:12:20 AM7/2/22
No, it didn't. Be honest. The SC simply struck the "may issue" clause in
favor of "shall issue." No longer do NY residents need to appeal to the
state to exercise a right protected by the U.S. Constitution. All other
requirements for a license to carry still exist.

Beaver Fever

Sep 2, 2022, 7:49:24 PM9/2/22
On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 2:19:51 PM UTC-7, David Samuel Barr wrote:
I went back on short notice and mostly just wandered the streets, in addition to a few concerts at Madison Square Garden and some jazz clubs.

Can't wait to go again.

I want to live there.

How do I find one of those places with a balcony overlooking Central Park in my price range?