Buying mattress

KenK

Dec 12, 2014, 12:56:45 PM12/12/14
Where's the cheapest place to buy a masttress? Furniture store? Mattress
store? Other? Brand of mattress?

I hate to think of spending the money - as far as I'm concerned they are
much too expensive for what you get.

TIA

larrymo...@my-deja.com

Dec 13, 2014, 3:52:50 AM12/13/14
On Friday, December 12, 2014 10:56:45 AM UTC-7, KenK wrote:

> Where's the cheapest place to buy a mattress? Furniture store? Mattress
> store? Other? Brand of mattress?

Generally you can find the best prices on national holidays, like
Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Veteran's day, often at Sears or
some other department stores. But for other times of the year,
the best prices are usually at warehouse clubs, like Costco,
Sam's Club, and BJ's, or the outlet store of a local matress
manufacturer (which usually also produce national brands). The
worst places are usually mattress stores, furniture stores, and
companies that lie and claim that mattresses double in weight
after 8 years.

Consumer Reports said mattresses improved greatly since the 1970s
or 1980s and that all innersprings are equally good, provided
they have quilted covers (only the cheapest have plain covers).
Look for models with an insulator (metal or plastic netting, rough
fabric like coconut hair) just above the metal parts because it
prevents the fabric and foam above from sinking past the gaps in
the metal. If you don't want any possibility of creaks or squeaks
with an innerspring, choose individually pocketed coils, as found
in Simmons' BeautyRest line. OTOH coil count isn't that important,
and you probably don't want a pillow top unless the top is removable
because, contrary to manufacturer claims, mattress should still be
flipped over for even wear.

The most heavily advertised foam mattresses now are made of memory
foam, which is polyurethane foam with extra-small bubbles. Some
people love it, but other people think it conforms so slowly that it's
outright creepy when you move. Regular polyurethane foam conforms a
lot faster but is still slow compared to innersprings. The material
that acts the most like innersprings is latex foam, possibly the best
mattress material. With any foam mattress, thicker tends to mean
longer life.

If you haul the mattress yourself and don't have a pickup truck,
bring along a friend to constantly keep a hand on the mattress in
order to detect the mattress shifting and warn you to stop the
vehicle to fix this. Don't drive on the freeway unless you tie down
the mattress from front to back, not just side to side.
The best foam may be latex, AKA

KenK

Dec 13, 2014, 12:40:03 PM12/13/14
larrymo...@my-deja.com wrote in news:7a436d15-f63e-4168-bfd3-
49fd47...@googlegroups.com:
Thank you very much for the valuable information. I printed it all out
and will use it when I'm ready to buy.

Rod Speed

Dec 17, 2014, 11:08:44 PM12/17/14
KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote

> Where's the cheapest place to buy a masttress?
> Furniture store? Mattress store? Other?

Yes, garage/yard sale, facebook buy sell swap group or craig's list etc.

> Brand of mattress?

> I hate to think of spending the money - as far as I'm
> concerned they are much too expensive for what you get.

True, but if you don’t sleep well that has a real cost too.

CanopyCo

Feb 1, 2015, 1:03:49 PM2/1/15
Mattress Firm

http://www.mattressfirm.com/

I don't know where you are at, but they have a local store in Tulsa ok.

I use a foam type mattress that has no box springs.
For a bed frame, I use a sheet of plywood with a couple of 2 x 4 supports, setting on concrete blocks.

They run sales and my king sized mattress was less then $200.

Shoe-Chucker 2

Oct 22, 2015, 12:54:40 PM10/22/15
In article <XnsA4016F523...@130.133.4.11>,
KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> Where's the cheapest place to buy a masttress? Furniture store? Mattress
> store? Other? Brand of mattress?
>
> I hate to think of spending the money - as far as I'm concerned they are
> much too expensive for what you get.
>
> TIA

Don't let the bed bugs bite !
--
Karma ; what a concept!

21bla...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2015, 5:06:46 PM10/24/15
a good start might be consumer reports

since we spend at least 25% of our life in bed,
spend a little extra..?

marc

Ron Peterson

Jan 10, 2016, 12:00:11 AM1/10/16
On Friday, December 12, 2014 at 9:56:45 AM UTC-8, KenK wrote:
> Where's the cheapest place to buy a masttress? Furniture store? Mattress
> store? Other? Brand of mattress?
>
> I hate to think of spending the money - as far as I'm concerned they are
> much too expensive for what you get.

A factory outlet store will save you a little bit.

Check the features you want. Do you sleep on your back, belly, or sides?

Air mattresses are adjustable.

Foam cell mattresses are either closed cell (warm). Or open cell (cool but expensive (latex)).

Some people need to adjust the slope of the bed.

John Weiss

Jan 10, 2016, 12:52:33 AM1/10/16
Ron Peterson wrote:

> On Friday, December 12, 2014 at 9:56:45 AM UTC-8, KenK wrote:
> > Where's the cheapest place to buy a masttress? Furniture store?
> > Mattress store? Other? Brand of mattress?

> A factory outlet store will save you a little bit.
>
> Air mattresses are adjustable.
>
> Foam cell mattresses are either closed cell (warm). Or open cell
> (cool but expensive (latex)).

A mattress is one of the most personal decisions you will make in your
life. Take the time to lie down on the ones you are considering. Wear
sweats or gym shorts or something else equally unobtrusive, so you can
come closest to your sleeping [non]attire.

While the SleepNumber (air adjustable) bed currently has the highest
reviews, I don't like the idea of relying on pumps and air chambers.
While Tempurpedic no longer enjoys the top reviews, I still enjoy
mine...

Shop the sales. Last year's closeouts may be your best opportunities.

Pine-Hol...@noneofyurbiz.ooo

Jan 11, 2016, 4:21:28 AM1/11/16
Fur cryin out loud....

Have your wife sew a large bag out of canvas. Stuff it full of straw.
About 2 bales are needed. Tie it shut, and put it on your bed to enjoy!

Total cost is about $25. The biggest cost is the canvas.

This should last you many years. If the straw breaks down, just replace
it. It only costs about $2 a bale.

The Real Bev

Jan 11, 2016, 1:34:08 PM1/11/16
We bought one of Costco's memory foam mattresses ~8 years ago. Lovely
mattress. In addition, it's fun watching it expand when you take it out
of its package. One problem, though -- no handles to move it around, so
if you need to rotate it or turn it or move it I suspect that running
some ropes underneath it (possibly by attaching them to a long stick)
may be the only way to do it.

--
Cheers, Bev
Hmph. I used to have snow tires. Never again. They melted in the

Michael Black

Jan 11, 2016, 1:43:00 PM1/11/16
But unless you live on a farm, hay may not be so available.

COuldn't you reuse sacks from rice or some other item sold in large
quantity? Make a sort of quilt of a number of bags, to make the cover.

One thing, if something gets spilled, you just have put the straw in the
compost (or maybe the garden), wash the cover, and fill with new straw. I
think animals appreciate getting new bedding on a regular basis.

Michael

wilm...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2016, 7:34:07 PM1/11/16
You joke about this, but my grandmother owned a hay mattress. It looked like one of those old fashioned feather pillows, with the grey and white stripes. A couple of times a year she'd empty it and let the cover air in the sun- that's back when only dirty people got bed bugs.

I thought that was the best bed ever! Huge! And she had a down feather quilt. And feather pillows. Have we really advanced?

Dennis

Jan 12, 2016, 2:42:47 PM1/12/16
On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 13:47:03 -0500, Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca>
wrote:

>One thing, if something gets spilled, you just have put the straw in the
>compost (or maybe the garden), wash the cover, and fill with new straw. I
>think animals appreciate getting new bedding on a regular basis.
>
> Michael

I think I would appreciate it too, if I regularly pissed/crapped in my
bed. (No offense to the incontinent intended.)

Dennis (evil)

Tatshark

Feb 15, 2016, 3:17:08 AM2/15/16
Prior to purchase you have to do research via objective reviews like those on http://sleepmentor.net/sealy-posturepedic-reviews/ . I opted for Sealy Posturepedic Classic. It is more comfortable that expected and not to hard and not to soft. This mattress offers support without making you feel trapped in the mattress.

gggg...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2019, 9:43:46 PM12/31/19

gggg...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2020, 7:39:36 PM2/22/20
On Friday, December 12, 2014 at 9:56:45 AM UTC-8, KenK wrote:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-happens-to-your-mail-order-mattress-after-you-return-it/

Beaver...@live.com

Feb 26, 2020, 11:20:56 PM2/26/20
On Friday, December 12, 2014 at 9:56:45 AM UTC-8, KenK wrote:
I stumbled across a Black Friday sale when my favorite Thai place was unexpectedly closed. One of maybe two extravagant things I have done for myself since figuring out how to secure an adult income (the other being spending ten grand at the dentist).