"personal announcements"

1 view

Paula Diller (Another Way)

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99
I tend to agree with other posters about taking the emotional-related words out of the concept explanation. Having said that, here's an idea that a not-for-profit group I'm involved with uses:

At the close of a meeting, everyone stands in a circle. (Holding hands optional.) Someone (anyone) takes a few moments to share something - anything - he or she wants to share: about the meeting, about the organization, how he/she's feeling that day, how much he/she loves Miatas, whatever. Then the person next to him/her does the same thing, and so on. Anyone who doesn't wish to speak just says "pass" and the next person shares (or doesn't share).

It's a nice way to end a meeting.

Paula Diller
Another Way
Facilitation, mediation, adventure

Alan Klein

Mar 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/28/99
I think we have another one of those "both/and" situations here. Yes, going
around the circle laces some pressure on people to respond and some find
this uncomfortable. On the other hand, how are we ever to open up lines of
communication and help people and their groups form new, more helpful,
patterns of communication if they stay mired in the same old stuff? Is it
ever fair/helpful to put some pressure on people to respond in serious
situations (particularly if we have been called in to help them with their
communication patterns!)?

Alan Klein

Mar 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/28/99
Thank you, Claire, for expressing so clearly the sense that something is
getting violated when we are asked to "share." Even in its most benevolent
form, going around a circle is an intrusion, because, simply, it's too
difficult to quit. You can't "just say no" without fear that it will be
interpreted as a rejection of the team spirit.

On the other hand, if it were a game, at least it wouldn't have to be taken
seriously. Especially a game like:

"The Sound and the Fury" (as described on my website
<http://deepfun.2cstudio.com/msgReader$127>)

Players stand in a circle. The first player, randomly assigned (it might as
well be you) makes a gesture (see the connection?) and a sound. A whole body
gesture. And some accompanying oral manifestation. And then everybody,
simultaneously, does exactly the same thing, and then the next player goes.

It's amusing, at least, to see your gesture repeated in such grand and
unanimous manifestation. Taking a few steps forward makes everybody else
take a few steps forward. Turning around, snorting and kicking likewise.
It's also amusing to create a gesture and noise that will look silly when
everybody else does it. As it is amusing for everybody else to see you
making the silly gesture and noise.

And so the game goes, on, and actually on, each person taking a turn,
everybody simultaneously mirroring back the exact motion and sound. It's a
kind of release. A kind of letting go. Expressive. Emotive even. But not to
be taken seriously at all.

Mar 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/28/99