Computing the Cost of Ineffe

1 view

Abe.Sch...@cn.ca

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
There are probably many ways to think about the efficiency and effectiveness
of meetings. When facilitating a meeting I usually do a rough calculation of
the wages of those in the room times the time spent in the meeting. From
experience I know that facilitated meetings take less time and increase the
chances of action items being better defined (who, what, by when) and the
chance that these tasks actually get done when we leave the meeting.If you
could calculate the difference in time between facilitated and unfacilitated
meetings you would be able to determine the$ savings. Also, the increase
in likelihood of action items being generated and completed might be
given a dollar value. This would make a great study for our friends
in academia.

Abe Schoenewolf
Manager, Process Improvement
MacMillan Yard Locomotive Repair Center,
CN Rail.
------------------( Forwarded letter 1 follows )--------------------
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:34:07 -0600
To: GRP-...@CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU
From: kin...@dialupnet.com
Sender: owner-g...@CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU
Subject: Re: Computing the Cost of Ineffective Meetings

One could possibly use Cost of Quality calculations.
______________

Randall W. Kindley The Performance Group
5215 45th Ave. S. "Building High Performance
Minneapolis MN 55417-2334 Organizations by Developing
V: 612-721-6752 People and Processes"
F: 847-589-5231
kin...@dialupnet.com www.topleaders.com

.

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
I have a software tool which is quite successful in at least dramatizing the
costs of meetings. It's called the Meeting Meter and functions as a "taxi
meter for meetings." Display it on a computer screen, assign the meeting a
budget, enter the total salaries and then put the flag down. Actually, even
asking people for a "budget" is often startling enough to get the point
across. It is available in its beta version for no charge, except some
feedback. If you'd like a copy, e-mail me for instructions.

Bernie DeKoven

Abe.Sch...@cn.ca

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99