MFINews: Mom of Psychiatric Survivor Speaks Out

News & alerts from www.MindFreedom.org

Mar 26, 2011, 9:58:25 PM3/26/11
MindFreedom International News - 26 March 2011
United Independent Mental Health Activism 25th Year
give today: http://www.mindfreedom.org/join-donate
Please forward. To stop these free alerts see bottom.

"My 21-year-old daughter is one of those individuals."

Special Message from a Mom of a Psychiatric Survivor

by Sarah Smith
MindFreedom International Development Director

Spring is a time when MindFreedom International asks everyone to renew
their commitment to activism for human rights in mental health.

But first, let me briefly tell you where I am coming from.

My name is Sarah Smith. I am excited to serve as MindFreedom's new
Development Director. I am passionate about the environment, justice,
and human rights.

One of the first things I see out my favorite window in Spring is
daffodils.

Sadly, today, not all people can enjoy these simple pleasures because
many are involuntarily hospitalized or incarcerated due to our broken
mental health care system.

They sleep and eat in rooms without windows.

They walk down hospital corridors, wearing plastic flip flops, eat
processed reheated food, and drink soda pop.

They receive 15 minutes per week with a psychiatrist who speaks down
to them when they are not compliant with the rules or do not appear to
be grateful for the "treatment" that they are receiving.

My 21-year-old daughter is one of those individuals.

Little over a year ago, she was a spirited and loving person as well
as a gifted artist with deep connections to Earth.

Today she is a broken and traumatized individual in need of healing
from the harm caused by the psychiatric "treatment" that she received
in our community.

Today, I hold her pain, as do thousands of other mothers whose
children have been harmed by the mental care system.

But we mothers also hold our children's hope.

And our hope is justified!

We know that with groups like MindFreedom International leading the
way, our sons and our daughters have many opportunities to heal,
become empowered by networking with their peers, and -- hopefully --
organize with us for change!

Please join or renew your MFI membership today. MindFreedom's all-new
secure online donation system is much easier to use:

http://www.mindfreedom.org/join-donate

Together, we consumers, survivors, loved ones, and allies are moving
forward in a dynamic, unified, international movement to create a new
paradigm of mental health care throughout the entire world!

We are on the transformative edge of a revolution and we are helping
one another heal while we set about to refurbish the human spirits of
free thinking individuals everywhere!

Today, we need your help to fight for our sons and daughters rights,
and keep these issues on the national front burner.

Please remember that unlike many other advocacy groups in this field,
MindFreedom does receive money from big Pharma or taxpayers. We exist
and operate only by the grace of your membership fees, and a few
foundations!

Today, MindFreedom is celebrating 25 years as one of the leading
groups in this movement. With your support MFI can continue the
following important work:

Challenge the globalization of this broken system!

Your gift of will increases our capacity to mobilize consumers,
survivors, and allies in other countries.

Lay down the groundwork for nationwide action!

Your gift helps MFI reach activists and membership organizations,
giving them how to info on organizing in their communities.

Choice Campaign

Your gift promotes alternatives in our communities, including MFI's
alternatives directory.

Electroshock Human Rights Initiative

Your gift allows MFI to speak out for members like Elizabeth Ellis who
are involuntarily hospitalized and have received forced electroshock.

Mad Pride

Your gift helps MFI get out flyers and invitations to mad pride events
that lift the spirit, educate, and lead communities.

PLEASE DONATE NOW

http://www.mindfreedom.org/join-donate

Thank you.

Sarah Smith, MindFreedom Development Director

Send a blank email from the e-mail address you want to remove to:

mindfreedom-ne...@intenex.net

When you get the automatic unsubscribe confirmation message in a few
moments be sure to reply. (If you do not receive that confirmation,
check your spam filter.)

2) ASK US:

Have trouble getting off this list? Just e-mail to off...@mindfreedom.org

If you e-mail from the *SAME* address where you received this alert,
put this in your "subject line," the message can be blank:

unsubscribe mindfreedom-news

If you have *ALTERNATE* e-mail address(es) that may be receiving this
alert by error, let the office know the exact address(es) to remove at: