[Radbull] IAEA INES ratings

Radiation Bulletin

Mar 18, 2011, 4:24:21 PM3/18/11
The IAEA made the following report on the INES ratings for Fukushima:

The INES scale goes from 1-7. As can be seen by this just detailed
wikipedia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nuclear_Event_Scale>
definition/description of the scale, we have a long way to go before
the chernobyl scale hits, except for one thing. We are looking at
three INES 3 events and three INES 5 simultaneous events, So this
is an example of a scenario that the IAEA has never properly defined
in the context of what happens with so many reactors all reaching
such a serious level. Personally, I'm surprised that the IAEA
hasn't listed some kind of combined rating for this, or that they
haven't challenged the spent fuel rating.

Japan Earthquake Update (18 March 2011, 10:15 UTC)

Japanese authorities have informed the IAEA that new INES ratings
have been issued for some of the events relating to the nuclear
emergency at the Fukushima Daiichi and Daini nuclear power plants.

Japanese authorities have assessed that the core damage at the
Fukushima Daiichi 2 and 3 reactor Units caused by loss of all cooling
function has been rated as 5 on the INES scale.

Japanese authorities have assessed that the loss of cooling and
water supplying functions in the spent fuel pool of the Unit 4
reactor has been rated as 3.

Japanese authorities have assessed that the loss of cooling functions
in the reactor Units 1, 2 and 4 of the Fukushima Daini nuclear power
plant has also been rated as 3. All reactor Units at Fukushima Daini
nuclear power plant are now in a cold shut down condition.

Addition of 12:45 UTC

Japanese authorities have assessed that the core damage at the
Fukushima Daiichi 1 reactor unit caused by the loss of all cooling
function has been rated as 5 on the INES scale.