[progchat_action] More on the Joe Baca-Sanchez sisters feud

Steven L. Robinson

Apr 14, 2007, 2:07:06 AM4/14/07
Rep. Baca wags finger at Sanchez for closing office for Cesar Chavez Day

By Betsy Rothstein
The Hill
April 04, 2007

There is no affection between Congressional Hispanic Caucus Chairman Joe
Baca (D-Calif.) and the Sanchez sisters - as the recent attempted coup
against him made plain.

And Baca burned his bridges yet further on Monday by declaring that
lawmakers should not take off work in honor of Cesar Chavez's birthday,
which was last Saturday. Rep. Linda Sanchez (D-Calif.) was the only member
of the caucus to close her office Monday in honor of the Hispanic civil
rights leader.

Baca had these choice words for her decision.

"Cesar Chavez worked his whole life toward achieving equality and fair labor
rights. I believe the best way to observe Cesar E. Chavez Day is not by
taking the day off from work or school, but by having our children learn
about his struggles and his victories on behalf of all Americans," said
Baca.

"That is why I have introduced a resolution, H. Res. 76, to encourage
teachers to teach our children about the life and work of Cesar Chavez, and
urge the president to issue an executive order creating a public holiday for
Cesar Chavez."

Linda Sanchez's chief of staff, Michael Torra, remarked, "For several years,
the California Legislature has closed for a day in honor of the March 31 .
Congresswoman Sanchez is co-sponsoring legislation in the House to make
March 31 a national holiday. When Congresswoman Sanchez was first elected .
five years ago, she decided to use her discretion to promote a national
Cesar Chavez holiday by closing her office for a day in honor of the late
labor and civil rights leader."

Baca has been on the outs with the Sanchez sisters ever since he (allegedly)
referred to Rep. Loretta Sanchez (D-Calif.) as a "whore." She has dropped
out of the caucus altogether; little sister Linda has also threatened to
leave and is only participating from a distance.

Loretta celebrated Cesar Chavez Day with a celebration the week before in a
local park. Rep. Grace Napolitano's (D-Calif.) spokesman said, "It's just
one of those things that everyone observed in their own way," although his
boss did nothing special.

Others did not do much out of the ordinary, either. Rep. Solomon Ortiz's
(D-Texas) spokeswoman, Cathy Travis, said, "He is traveling with the Armed
Services committee. The office didn't close since it isn't a federal holiday
and people expect us to be working." And Bob Sanders, spokesman for Rep. Jim
Costa (D-Calif.), said of his boss, "He is out of the country, but because
of security I can't say why, where or for how long."

Rep. Razl Grijalva (D-Ariz.) had special plans, but they didn't involve
shutting his office. "He was in San Luis, Arizona, unveiling the statue of
Cesar Chavez," said spokeswoman Natalie Luna.

http://thehill.com/in-the-know/rep.-baca-wags-finger-at-sanchez-for-closing-
office-for-cesar-chavez-day-2007-04-03.html

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: