3PL estimation with fixed thetas

Guy Ashiri-Prossner

May 30, 2024, 3:37:22 AMMay 30
to mirt-package
Hello,
we are trying to re-create some functionality that we currently get in IRTPro (which we want to get rid of), but even though trying for some time, we didn't manage to achieve it:

Consider a .csv file (see attached) with the following columns: examinee id, examinee score, then a column for each item with either binary response or NULL to indicate the examinee did not get this item. The score column is some pre-known ability estimate, in theta terms (i.e. on the scale of -3 to 3).

The contents of this file are actually the responses to some experimental items (which still don't have any a,b,c estimates), while the scores are calculated using a different section of the exam (excluded from the file), in which the items already have parameters.

We read this file into a data.frame but we can't figure out how to estimate the 3PL estimates with the thetas fixed to the score column.

In addition (and this might be just us being unfamiliar with the package), we did not find out how to specify prior values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
df.csv

Phil Chalmers

May 30, 2024, 4:42:40 PMMay 30
to Guy Ashiri-Prossner, mirt-package
On Thu, May 30, 2024 at 3:37 AM Guy Ashiri-Prossner <guy.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

This is not something typically supported in the package (how would you get the true thetas? Only simulations can do that....). If you search through the mirt-package thread for joint ML estimation you can find examples of how to do this though using some of the package internals, but in general I'd avise against it and stick with the usual marginal ML estimation as it's more realistic. HTH.

In addition (and this might be just us being unfamiliar with the package), we did not find out how to specify prior values.

See help(mirt.model) for the PRIOR keyword. HTH.

Phil

Any help would be greatly appreciated.