Tsunami modelling by TUNAMI N2 in Mirone?

Zuhair Ezan

Feb 12, 2016, 11:38:18 PM2/12/16
to mirone
Hi everyone,

Could you please provide me information how to do Tsunami modelling by TUNAMI N2 or TINTOL? I have prepared initial deformation condition for TINTOL but I am not getting what to do with maregraph option?

Thanks in advance.

Joaquim Luis

Feb 13, 2016, 12:11:43 PM2/13/16
to mirone, Zuhair Ezan
Zuhair,

I have not yet written any tutorial to use TINTOL (other codesm swan and tsun2 are now deprecated) but made all possible so that the use is as intuitive as it can. Namely, hovering the mouse over the buttons show helping tooltips. For example what you ask says:
"Check this if you want to compute water height at maregraphs"
and the edit button reads:
"Name of the file with the maregraph locations"

So,

1 - Using this is optional
2 - to use it provide a file with the x y coordinates of each virtual  tide gauge you want. Not mentioned, but you can add a third column with the tide gauge name

Hope it helps

Joaquim Luis

Could you please provide me information how to do Tsunami modelling by TUNAMI N2 or TINTOL? I have prepared initial deformation condition for TINTOL but I am not getting what to do with maregraph option?

Thanks in advance.

Joaquim Luis

Feb 13, 2016, 2:38:53 PM2/13/16
to mir...@googlegroups.com
You can't. I have removed that option some versions ago (don't remember exactly when). It was  old stuff and was not transmitting the momentum in the borders.

Thank you so much for response.

It is showing only SWAN and TINTOL in 'Tsunami' option of Mirone I have downloaded. Could you please tell me where can I get tsun2 in Mirone?
Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,

Mohd Zuhair

IIT Kharagpur

West Bengal, India

Mobile No. +91- 8343997305

Zuhair Ezan

Feb 13, 2016, 11:55:27 PM2/13/16
to mirone
Thank you again.

I have done Tsunami modelling with SWAN but I am not getting how to know about the wave height or run up at any specific point along the coast?

Is it done by 'Exact Profile' option in 'Tools' after getting propogation model? (see attachment). Is that the wave height in meters along X-axis?

Thank you in advance.
Screenshot (13).png

Joaquim Luis

Feb 14, 2016, 1:23:04 PM2/14/16
to mirone, Zuhair Ezan
I mentioned before that SWAN is deprecated (and I don't use it for years). Although it can do a good job for propagation, it's inundation capabilities are very weak. The modelling code in TINTOL (NSWING) is far better.
Anyway, in any case what one get after a run are the frames of the water height at selected instants. This can be either grids that represent the situation for the whole region, or virtual maregraphs for selected points in function of time.

Yes, you can do profile extraction in particular time frames or, the best, select the 3D netcdf output and load it in the "Aquamoto" tool for posterior analysis.

Joaquim Luis

Feb 14, 2016, 3:30:58 PM2/14/16
to mir...@googlegroups.com
Please, keep posting to the mailing list

You must be suffering from some connecting issue. That is a old version. After updating it should say 2.7.0dev in the title bar and
Mirone last modified 9 Feb 2016
in "Help -> About"

I checked, it is mentioning that 'this mirone version is updated to latest'. (see attachment)

Kind Regards,

Mohd Zuhair

IIT Kharagpur

West Bengal, India

Mobile No. +91- 8343997305

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Joaquim Luis <jl...@ualg.pt> wrote:
Did you update Mirone as I said?

I tried with stand-alone and it is showing some error (see attachment).

Thanks for helping me a lot.

Kind Regards,

Mohd Zuhair

IIT Kharagpur

West Bengal, India

Mobile No. +91- 8343997305

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Joaquim Luis <jl...@ualg.pt> wrote:
Do one thing. Use the stand-alone version instead or otherwise learn how to update the matlab version using Github (and even than, there might e issues with compiled, e.g. mex, files.). The thing is that I have fixed many things since the 2.6 release and those are very easy to update  on the standalone version (just do, "Help -> Chaeck for updates") but more complex with the source code version.

Also, pick a time step close to the suggested one but as round as possible. For example 5.25 in your case.

Thank you so much for bearing my questions.

I am facing difficulties in modelling via TINTOL, I selected initial deformation .grd file for 'source' option (see attachment), but I am not getting the output grids as I got in case of Swan. Where I am making error?

Thank you in advance.

Joaquim Luis

Feb 14, 2016, 4:01:47 PM2/14/16
to mir...@googlegroups.com
Again, please  keep posting to the mailing list and to me personally.

What date does the "Help -> About" reports?

It has been updated now, there was some problem with internet. But, still TINTOL showing the same error. Where I am doing error? (see attachment)

Kind Regards,

Mohd Zuhair

IIT Kharagpur

West Bengal, India

Mobile No. +91- 8343997305

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Mohd Zuhair <zuhair...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Joaquim Luis

Feb 15, 2016, 6:49:26 PM2/15/16
to mir...@googlegroups.com
I just tried one example here and it worked fine, which means you are not running an updated version.

Meriem Amine

Jun 12, 2017, 8:46:20 PM6/12/17
to mirone
Hello everybody
I wish to make a modelling of a tsunami in the coastal zone of a city in Morocco (within the framework of my project of thesis). I installed the Mirone software and I realized a grid of bathymetry .Grid but I do not manage to find the approach to make the modelling of the tsunami. Could you, please, guide me on this approach and which are the parameters which I shall need?
Thank you in advance for your help which would be so precious to me.

Priyanka Kumar

Nov 8, 2017, 1:06:53 AM11/8/17
to mirone
How do we actually model tsunami using mirone? This is for my MTech project work.

Mr patel vikram

Nov 8, 2017, 10:37:03 AM11/8/17
to priyank...@gmail.com, mirone
According to me mirone is not a good option to model a tsunami waves

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Priyanka Kumar
How do we actually model tsunami using mirone? This is for my MTech project work.

Joaquim Luis

Nov 8, 2017, 12:47:42 PM11/8/17
to mirone, Priyanka Kumar
What have you tried so far?

How do we actually model tsunami using mirone? This is for my MTech project work.

Priyanka Kumar

Nov 9, 2017, 1:36:47 AM11/9/17
to mirone
Thank you.. do you have an idea regarding which simulator will be good for this.

Priyanka Kumar

Nov 9, 2017, 1:38:11 AM11/9/17
to mirone
Till now i have been trying to write a code to solve the shallow water equations in matlab.

Joaquim Luis

Nov 9, 2017, 10:41:25 AM11/9/17
to mir...@googlegroups.com

Thank you.. do you have an idea regarding which simulator will be good for this.

Sorry, don't understand the question. Choosing among which simulators. Regarding Mirone only TINTOL is recommended.

Joaquim Luis

Nov 9, 2017, 10:46:35 AM11/9/17
to mir...@googlegroups.com

Till now i have been trying to write a code to solve the shallow water equations in matlab.

That's a lot more complicated than trying to use TINTOL without a manual. Modeling with nested grids is something more difficult to find by oneself (i.e. without help from me) but single layer it should be trivial to find how it works. Ofc it helps one when know what we are trying to do. Basicaly, one only need an initial deformation grid (time zero condition) and a bathymetry file. Both grids must be exactly compatible as with any other modeling program.

Joaquim Luis

Nov 10, 2017, 3:20:37 PM11/10/17
to mirone, Priyanka Kumar
OK, I have added a small tutorial on how to do tsunami propagation. See

Priyanka Kumar

Nov 12, 2017, 3:24:39 AM11/12/17
to mirone
Thank you so much for the tutorial

Priyanka Kumar

Feb 27, 2018, 1:01:12 AM2/27/18
to mirone
Can I know by which method is the Shallow Water Equation(SWE)  solved in Mirone? As I am writing my own code, a very simple one to just solve SWEs

Joaquim Manuel Freire Luís

Feb 27, 2018, 9:08:03 AM2/27/18
to mir...@googlegroups.com

Mirone uses NSWING that is a finite differences model. Is this what you are asking?

Priyanka Kumar

Feb 28, 2018, 2:12:30 AM2/28/18
to mirone
I mean the method, finite difference is used just to discretize the equation and any other numerical method is applied thereafter.

Joaquim Manuel Freire Luís

Feb 28, 2018, 10:49:43 AM2/28/18
to mir...@googlegroups.com

Then I’m afraid I don’t understand the question. But notice that NSWING is open source. The code is in the Mirone repository in GitHub.