Bathymetry files

Rubiela Carrasco

Jan 13, 2016, 11:43:55 AM1/13/16
to mirone
 Hi JLuis,

My research partner and I are investigating and simulating tsunamis in Panama, we are using Mirone for simulating tsunami generation, propagation and run-up. First, we did the tsunami generation by Okada deformation and everything was ok until we wanted to run the tsunami propagation, then a message appeared about the bathymetry and deformation grid size and we didn't know which kind of mistake we did. Can you tell us what should we change to do this step better the next time?

Joaquim Luis

Jan 13, 2016, 12:12:05 PM1/13/16
to mirone
Hi Rubiela,

That message means the two grids are not compatible in terms of region (limits), size or more often, the grid step ('far' decimals count a lot).
To protect against this issue, compute the Okada deformation using as base the bathymetry grid. This ensures both grids are compatible.

J. Luis

 Hi JLuis,

My research partner and I are investigating and simulating tsunamis in Panama, we are using Mirone for simulating tsunami generation, propagation and run-up. First, we did the tsunami generation by Okada deformation and everything was ok until we wanted to run the tsunami propagation, then a message appeared about the bathymetry and deformation grid size and we didn't know which kind of mistake we did. Can you tell us what should we change to do this step better the next time?

Meriem Amine

Mar 22, 2017, 9:41:57 PM3/22/17
to mirone
Hello,

Please, I would like to model a tsunami under MIRONE and MATLAB and in which I could have maps showing the levels of damage and flood zones for any city, taking as a reference the case of the Tsunami from 1755 to Lisbon. I need the code (program) that I can get on MATLAB to run this. Could you please help me in that direction?

Thank you for your help

Joaquim Luis

Mar 23, 2017, 12:19:31 PM3/23/17
to mirone, Meriem Amine
I have no tutorials on how to do do Tsunami modeling but basically the
steps are

1- Prepare a bathymetry grid for the area of interest
2- Use the "Seismology -> Elastic deformation -> Draw fault" to draw a
fault line.
3- Right-click on that line and call the "Mansinha" option to compute
your elastic deformation that will be your initial condition for the
tsunami modeling.
4- From within a Mirone window displaying the bathymetry select "Tsunamis
-> TINTOL"

The options should be easy to figure out by yourself. Make sure that the
"3D file" check box is selected. This makes the results lal be stored in a
single 3D netcdf file. That file can later be loaded in Mirone and will
land directly into the "Aquamoto Viewer". You have here several other
tools to help display/analyze the results.

J. Luis

Joaquim Luis

Mar 23, 2017, 4:04:12 PM3/23/17
to mirone, Meriem Amine
Please, keep posting to the group.

This is more difficult than it seams at first. In fact, preparing a good
bathymetry is perhaps the most important task. And for that one need to
have access to good, dense, quality data. Specially if one want to model
inundations. If the underwater part (bathymetry) is not exactly in the
same vertical datum than the land (topography) there will be (false) jumps
at the shore line that will completely fake the modeling results.

That said, using contours to create grids is normally a bad start. There
are interpolation algorithms that try to minimize the stair effect
resulting from the fact that data is dense along a line but very sparse
between lines.

If you don't know how to calculate grids ... well that is another subject.
There is a minimal background to do this type of work. GMT creates grids,
Arc does that as well but many products have the horrible habit of
calculating by triangulation, which does not create smooth, differentiable
surfaces and than the triangles create little wavelets themselves.

> I thank you most sincerely for your return and for your attention.
> I would like to write to you again to ask you for your help in carrying
> out these steps.
>
> 1- For the bathymetry, I have a map that represents the bathymetry of
> the study area and that I
> will digitize under ArcGIS in order to have the contours and to be able
> to extract the Z. Could
> you explain me how can I make it a grid?
>
> 2 - For MIRONE software I just installed it and it seems simple to
> manipulate but I wish I had
> your instructions and suggestions.
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your great help.

Meriem Amine

Mar 23, 2017, 9:54:04 PM3/23/17
to mirone
Thank you very much for your great help JLuis.

I apologize for this inconvenience but I am a beginner in this area and that is why I am asking you many questions.
To begin my work, I want to prepare the bathymetry grid on the GMT software that you recommended to me to have dense and quality data and I am writing to have your suggestions and if you can give me steps to follow.

Thank you for your help.

Joaquim Luis

Mar 24, 2017, 7:38:46 AM3/24/17
to mirone, Meriem Amine

I apologize for this inconvenience but I am a beginner in this area and that is why I am asking you many questions.
To begin my work, I want to prepare the bathymetry grid on the GMT software that you recommended to me to have dense and quality data and I am writing to have your suggestions and if you can give me steps to follow.

Meriem,

I can see you are a beginner, perhaps a bit too much of a beginner for this task. Why do you want to do Tsunami modeling? Don't you have any teacher or other people that can advise you personally?

Regarding the data, please note that it's not the software or algorithm that will get you a 'dense good quality' data. That data you have to find a way to have it yourself and I certainly can not be of help here because I am no data provider.
Off course one can do things with the available free data (like SRTM and SRTM++) but those are low resolution or low vertical quality (SRTM) to do inundation modeling.