git/github.com proposal

Gennady Feldman

Feb 24, 2012, 1:21:25 PM2/24/12
to miranda-i...@googlegroups.com
I thought i would start the discussion going to see what the rest of the developers/community thinks of this crazy idea.

I've been thinking of this possible idea for a while now. I have personally been using git for over a year and I think that this would be beneficial to Miranda IM. It would also simplify questions like we saw today about how people can contribute and look at the code and submit patches and such.

Git has been getting a lot of popularity. It has a ton of really cool stuff that makes working with distributed teams and branches a breeze. When combined with github we could register an organization and manage code contributions via "Pull Requests" which people can submit. Github provides a very nice interface for submitting/reviewing/merging these things. I also find their web interface much nicer than browsing code on sourceforge or google code.

Thank you,

Gennady

Robert Rainwater

Feb 24, 2012, 1:34:08 PM2/24/12
to miranda-i...@googlegroups.com
I know it isn't Github but Google Code does support Git itself. Just
something to think about. I'm not sure how it would differ from using
Github but it would probably require less work to switch over since we
already have accounts.

Robert

Boris Krasnovskiy

Feb 24, 2012, 2:08:26 PM2/24/12
to miranda-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gena,

Why Git? Current system works just fine.  And current patch contribution system.

99% of patches we get look as folowing:  the person does not want to do it right he does whatever takes least of his time and drops it to us. No even attempt to understanding how code designed, no Beta tests - nothing. When he is asked to fix this "contribution", the usual response well I do not have time for that. Thus it's much better when such patchers submit diff file on the bug tracker. And if one of the developers wants to deal with that, he will do the rest of the work. If not, let it rot.

We need developers who want to work on a project not new source code management system. And no I do not think we should allow unsupervised contributions to the source tree, until proven that the person wants to actually spend time working on the project and doing things right. And this a lot of time needed.
--
Thank you,
Boris Krasnovskiy

Peter Lemenkov

Feb 24, 2012, 3:07:30 PM2/24/12
2012/2/24 Gennady Feldman <gen...@gmail.com>:

> I thought i would start the discussion going to see what the rest of the
> developers/community thinks of this crazy idea.

+1

On a contrary it's a crazy idea to stick with svn nowadays.

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.

Gennady Feldman

Feb 29, 2012, 10:18:25 PM2/29/12
to miranda-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Boris,

A couple of reasons:
- Git is just a tool (just like cvs, subversion, etc...). We could switch to it if it provides more options. And it does provide a ton. The migration is painless as there's a conversion and a bridge support. (I can do svn checkout into a git repo and then "svn commit" stuff back when I want to make my changes public.) It will also help Robert a ton with branches and such as those become light weight and very easy to manage and don't take up storage. (they are actually pointers to commits). The flow and other regular development won't change it will be exactly the same. People can "clone" or checkout the code, but they need write permission to commit code to the master repository (git is fully distributed).
- The flow and contribution stuff is something I've been thinking about for some time now. Github really does make this so so much easier. We can setup an organization and they will host it for free among other things. Pull request system is built to be able to create a patch quickly, to get it reviewed and merged. I can go on and on...

I did also want to touch a separate note: i am not sure what's going on on the community and evangelism side of things. I'd love to see an update and get me up to date on that subject. :)

I know there's a twitter account which if I remember Robert is responsible for. I also saw a Google+ page and a Facebook page. Facebook page worries me though as it's rather stale and a copy from a wikipedia article. Do we know who is an admin of the Facebook Page? Can i get admin access to it?

I also remember Robert working on an SDK, which i am not sure was ever finished.

Thank you,

Gennady

Boris Krasnovskiy

Feb 29, 2012, 10:50:57 PM2/29/12
to miranda-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gena,

what you are talking about? We have only one branch "stable". Not sure waht you are talking about when you say tons of branches we have 1.
"svn checkout" "svn commit" are you talking about using command line!? No way in hell even considering that. People can clone and checkout with svn as well. If you need it.

Flow of contribution... 99% of patches require not quick review but rewrite, thus they are ignored, or delayed. When authors asked to fix it, or at least invest more time into understanding to the code the patching, they say that they do not have time for that, they expect some kind of "core developer" to fix it for them.

I do belive SVN provides enough configuration mangemnent for current developemnt team - 1 developer attempting to maintain most of plugins. git transition not going to fix it, just will eat pressious time from developing Miranda to playing with new configuration mangement system, redoing build system, update system, and trying to find GUI tools to avoid using all these command line nightmare you are proposing.

Are you interested in working on Miranda code or switch SCM systems back and forward.

Boris Krasnovskiy

Feb 29, 2012, 11:05:58 PM2/29/12
to miranda-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gena,

could you please at least fix Yahoo issues. Like authorization Accept /Deny does not work when user creates alias account but himself login on the main one while contact is communicating with alias.

Because lately I have to support Yahoo as well.

AL|EN

Aug 11, 2012, 6:37:41 AM8/11/12
to miranda-i...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

I've created a Github.com Miranda IM Git repository with fully automated updating from trunk branch, time when a new commit is made. I'm fully aware that no one from Miranda IM owners/developers will not be interested about this. I just want to post it for people who want to use Git and Git only.

Anyway here it is: https://github.com/MojaMiranda/Miranda-NG/tree/miranda-im-svn