the dynamic mode of "listen" for the mirage project

andres

Feb 26, 2009, 2:15:38 PM2/26/09
to mirag...@googlegroups.com
hello, I used listen, http://www.listen-project.org/ and have a
"dynamic mode" like mirage, I think is even better because you do not
have to scan again the library of songs ...

I attached the script dynamic_playlist.py of the source code of
listen and and maybe someone have some idea to implement this script
in mirage...

My purpose is help to improvement the mirage; I hope it will not
bother to include a feature of another player in the mirage, but I
think that is why it is open source,

PD: sorry for my bad english... XD

--
"SEMPER FI"
Linux User # 466949

dynamic_playlist.py

eric casteleijn

Feb 26, 2009, 2:47:16 PM2/26/09
to mirag...@googlegroups.com
> I attached the script dynamic_playlist.py of the source code of
> listen and and maybe someone have some idea to implement this script
> in mirage...
>
> My purpose is help to improvement the mirage; I hope it will not
> bother to include a feature of another player in the mirage, but I
> think that is why it is open source,

I think you misunderstand what mirage is: It is not itself a player, it
is a library that does acoustic analysis, and, given two songs, tells
you how similar they are. (That is why it must scan the local files, but
then can handle any track, even ones that last.fm doesn't know) Granted,
it offers some ways to generate lists based on this principle, but it
does not play music, and so it does not (to me, I don't presume to speak
for anyone else, and note that I am not one of the mirage developers)
make sense to put last.fm based lookups in there.

What does make sense (again, perhaps only to me) is to take the cool
work the mirage people have done, and use that in your listen plugin as
an alternative lookup method to last.fm. This is, in fact what I've done
for my plugin[1], which works with rhythmbox, quod libet and mpd. Since
it's written in python, and has python bindings for mirage built with
ctypes, you might want to look at it for inspiration or even code
borrowing. I built everything to be as player neutral as possible.

Even better, from *my* perspective ;), would be if you joined and built
the listen bindings for the plugin, and incorporate your own ideas, so
that we can all have the benefit of all this cool stuff in four
different players, and counting! Seriously, I'd love to help with the
listen port.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/autoqueue/

Let me know if you're interested,

--