I can't seem to "git pull" in a mintty terminal, but I can in a normal msys terminal

Tony Miller

Jun 3, 2011, 5:37:41 PM6/3/11
to mintty-...@googlegroups.com, mingw...@lists.sourceforge.net
"git pull" hangs in mintty. It works fine in a normal msys terminal.
See my video showing a demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsdKuDmbjOU

Other programs seem to hang in mintty as well, python, ruby, etc.
Anyone else have this issue?

Using:

mintty 0.9.5

Tony Miller

Jun 3, 2011, 6:07:17 PM6/3/11
to mintty-...@googlegroups.com, mingw...@lists.sourceforge.net
"git pull" hangs in mintty. It works fine in a normal msys terminal.
See my video showing a demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsdKuDmbjOU

Other programs seem to hang in mintty as well, python, ruby, etc.

Anyone else having issues with mintty?

Using:

mintty 0.9.5

Chris Sutcliffe

Jun 3, 2011, 10:57:30 PM6/3/11
to mintty-...@googlegroups.com
Forwarded from the mingw-users mailing list to close the loop...

On 3 June 2011 22:55, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:

> I assume you are using msys-git (which uses 'native' Windows binaries)
> and python and ruby are both 'native' Windows binaries.  As such, you
> are hitting a known issue with MSYS and ptys.  The same issue occurs
> if you use rxvt.  Doing a google for 'msys pty' will provide lots of
> background information.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Sutcliffe
> http://emergedesktop.org
> http://www.google.com/profiles/ir0nh34d

technogeeky

Jul 29, 2011, 1:15:46 PM7/29/11
to mintty
Yes.

I think this is the same issue that prevents several other things from
working in mintty, as well, including:

* vim
* irb (ruby interactive shell)
* ripl (same thing)
* ghci (same thing, Haskell)

This may be related to readline support.

Renato Silva

Dec 15, 2012, 11:36:23 AM12/15/12
to mintty-...@googlegroups.com, techn...@gmail.com
From what I've checked, the text for input requests are not printed, but if you provide the input data it still works, at least partially it seems. I also see that irb, for example, has a parameter that prints the prompt in mintty, but it doesn't make it work correctly. Arrows doesn't work, for example:

$ irb
puts :odd
puts :odd
odd
nil
exit
exit

$ irb --prompt default
irb(main):001:0> puts :odd
puts :odd
odd
=> nil
irb(main):002:0> puts "after using arrows and backspace"
puts "after using arrows and backspace"

$ # the program exited!

Andy Koppe

Jan 3, 2013, 2:47:08 PM1/3/13
to mintty
On Dec 15 2012, 4:36 pm, Renato Silva wrote:
> From what I've checked, the text for input requests are not printed, but if
> you provide the input data it still works, at least partially it seems. I
> also see that irb, for example, has a parameter that prints the prompt in
> mintty, but it doesn't make it work correctly. Arrows doesn't work, for
> example:
>
> $ irb
> puts :odd
> puts :odd
> odd
> nil
> exit
> exit
>
> $ irb --prompt default
> irb(main):001:0> puts :odd
> puts :odd
> odd
> => nil
> irb(main):002:0> puts "after using arrows and backspace"
> puts "after using arrows and backspace"
>
> $ # the program exited!

This is the ever-popular issue 56:
https://code.google.com/p/mintty/issues/detail?id=56

The only real solution to this is using Cygwin/MSYS-built versions of
the programs in question, where possible. Ruby is available as a
Cygwin package.

Andy