Not a TTY in Ruby, emphasize issue 56

Renato Silva

Oct 25, 2013, 4:13:10 PM10/25/13
to MinTTY
Hi all. In Ruby, STDOUT.isatty is false for MinTTY, but true for cmd.exe. This is a problem if we for example want to print colored text, but only if standard output is a terminal, not a file or something else.

Is this an example of the infamous issue 56? Personally, I would improve the home page to be more clear about this problem, because that page gives the impression at a glance that MinTTY will mostly "just work", which cannot be said in my opinion if it can't deal with interactive programs well. That's just a very basic thing that should be supported. In fact, issue 56 is the most starred in the project.

Issue 56 is mentioned in home page, but sort of hidden. TLDR reading will only note the awesomenesses. I would rather make it bold and move to the top.

The workarounds mentioned are actually only one, for Python, which in my case didn't really work anyway, since I could not use the arrow keys. If someone bothers to read whole bug report, they'll find winpty, which I have tried myself, just to see it doesn't work either.

Renato Silva

Oct 25, 2013, 4:24:01 PM10/25/13
to MinTTY
Just a note on winpty: it did not work with bash, it seemed to work with Python (including the arrow keys) but not with irb (arrow keys did not work).