shift+" and others send Ctrl-C

eppe...@gmail.com

May 7, 2013, 3:48:48 AM5/7/13
to mintty-...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a dumb question but I didn't find anything about it. This is on a german system with a german keyboard and cygwin on Win7.

I have the strange behavior if I enter e.g. Shift+" to insert a double quote character mintty shows me this:

Epperlein@Epp ~
$ ^C

Epperlein@Epp ~
$ "

So I can't enter such a quote sign. The workaround is to use the caps lock key, but this rather inconvenient.
The same is with a singe quote and braces like "({[", the curly brace and the square bracket are reachable with AltGr on this keyboard, for the round brackets the shift key is needed.

Any ideas? Is it a mintty issue or is it related to cygwin?

Regards
Lutz

Andy Koppe

May 12, 2013, 12:55:04 AM5/12/13
to mintty
On May 7, 8:48 am, epperl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Maybe a dumb question but I didn't find anything about it. This is on a
> german system with a german keyboard and cygwin on Win7.
>
> I have the strange behavior if I enter e.g. Shift+" to insert a double
> quote character mintty shows me this:
>
> Epperlein@Epp ~
> $ ^C
>
> Epperlein@Epp ~
> $ "
>
> So I can't enter such a quote sign. The workaround is to use the caps lock
> key, but this rather inconvenient.
> The same is with a singe quote and braces like "({[", the curly brace and
> the square bracket are reachable with AltGr on this keyboard, for the round
> brackets the shift key is needed.

I'm afraid I've got no idea what could be going on there. This doesn't
happen for me if I change my layout to German, and I expect mintty has
a fair few German users, with no previous reports like this.

Have you got any utilities such as AutoHotKey running that could be
playing a role in this? Any keyboard mappings in your ~/.inputrc or
other config files that could be going wrong?

Regards,
Andy