Has somebody tried to run a webcam on minnowboard?

francisco jose torcal milla

Oct 30, 2013, 6:46:38 AM10/30/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

We are trying to use python-opencv on minnowboard to manage a webcam but we are not even able to see the streaming.
Has somebody tried it?

Any help would be great!
Thank you!
Fran

Scott Garman

Oct 30, 2013, 10:47:08 AM10/30/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fran,

I've been able to use a Logitech USB cam (can't remember if it's the
C270 or C310) without problems, also a Celestron USB microscope, which
acts as a webcam. Which model are you using? Does dmesg show any
recognition of the camera when you plug it in?

Scott

--
Scott Garman
Embedded Linux Engineer - Yocto Project

francisco jose torcal milla

Oct 31, 2013, 6:55:01 AM10/31/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

we are trying to use a Logitech cam, C310 model (I am not sure).
We would like to use opencv but it appears that doesn't work properly.
Could you please tell us which libraries and/or packages are necessary and which command lines are you using to get the webcam streaming?

Thank you in advance!!
Fran

Scott Garman

Nov 1, 2013, 7:23:14 PM11/1/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Fran,

I believe that model should work fine. To verify it is being detected,
run the "dmesg" command and make note of the last kernel messages. Then
plug the webcam into the Minnow's USB port, wait a second, and run
"dmesg" again. This time you should see some output indicating that the
camera was detected. For mine, I see these messages:

[ 1234.715191] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
[ 1235.133704] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device <unnamed> (046d:081b)
[ 1235.233858] input: UVC Camera (046d:081b) as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:17.0/0000:01:00.0/0000:02:08.3/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/input/input3
[ 1235.237001] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
[ 1235.237666] USB Video Class driver (1.1.1)

If you're not seeing messages like these, then there's a more
fundamental problem with the kernel not having the right support for
your camera.

If you do see similar messages indicating the camera is detected, I have
a simple example of using python's opencv library to view a camera's
feed in this repository:

https://github.com/MinnowBoard/minnowboard_fish_picker_upper

See the file debug_webcam_test.py:

https://github.com/MinnowBoard/minnowboard_fish_picker_upper/blob/master/debug_webcam_test.py

Scott

francisco jose torcal milla

Nov 19, 2013, 5:20:29 AM11/19/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scoot,

We have tried your file debug_webcam_test.py and it seems to be working but it does not show any frames on screen.
The camera is detected by the Minnowboard.
By the way, we are using the C170 camera by Logitech, which is similar to that you use.
We are not experts and we do not know what is happening.
We have re-installed the operative system (Angstrom Yocto project) several times to try again and it does not work.
Do you have an idea about what could be our problem?
Do you think that it could be fixed by installing another operative system? We have tried to install Debian by following a tutorial , but without success, lamentalbly.

Bryan Smith

Nov 19, 2013, 2:20:22 PM11/19/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hey Fran,

Did you try the instructions here?

If so what didn't work for you?

Bryan

francisco jose torcal milla

Nov 21, 2013, 5:08:50 AM11/21/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott, everybody,

I am sending a picture of what we see when we run the debug_webcam_test.py
We think that the white square should be the streaming but it does not appear.

Before running your file we have installed angstrom, update, upgrade and we have installed python-opencv and python-imaging packages.

Any ideas?
Thank you!
Fran
Camera on Minnowboard.jpg

Scott Garman

Nov 21, 2013, 4:17:50 PM11/21/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fran,

It seems like every time I see your messages, I don't have easy access
to my MinnowBoard and webcam to actually test it.

Can you try using this image (which isn't Angstrom based) and see if it
makes a difference?

http://www.zenlinux.com/minnow/robot-opencv-demo-image-minnow.hddimg

Scott

francisco jose torcal milla

Nov 26, 2013, 7:55:06 AM11/26/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Scoot.

We have tried your O.S. and it works properly. Does it work only in Terminal mode?
Lamentably  we are not experts. Which Linux distribution is it? How can we install packages on it?
We have tried opkg, dpkg, apt-get, aptitude, ipkg...
In addition, how can we configure internet connection?

Thank you in advance
Fran

francisco jose torcal milla

Dec 2, 2013, 10:56:56 AM12/2/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

we have tried your instructions and
We have found a mistake in this line: " /debinst/usr/sbin/debootstrap --verbose --extractor=ar --arch i386 jessie /media/debian http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

We have solved it by editing the debootstrap file and by changing the directory from usr/sbin to debinst/usr/sbin (line 5, I think, I do not remember)

It seems that this file does not exist (Error 404).
Could you give as an alternative?

Thank you  in advance!
Fran

Bryan Smith

Dec 2, 2013, 8:31:36 PM12/2/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hey Franciso,

They removed the file, LOL. This will work though:

Thanks for pointing out that other mistake...I didn't actually do that part, but I glanced at it and figured it was correct. I use debian so debootstrap is in the right place for me already. Who ever wrote the debootstrap part has the fix backwards...I'll change it.

Thanks for the heads up,

Give it a try and let me know if it all works out for you,

Bryan

francisco jose torcal milla

Dec 3, 2013, 11:05:59 AM12/3/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
 Hey Brian,

thank you for the new link . We have tried it but we have found this:

root@minnow:/# apt-get install linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae is already the newest version.
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
 linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae : Depends: linux-base (>= 3~) but it is not going to be installed
                                  Depends: initramfs-tools (>= 0.110~) but it is not going to be installed or
                                           linux-initramfs-tool
                                  Recommends: firmware-linux-free (>= 3~) but it is not going to be installed
                                  Recommends: libc6-i686 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

We try to install initramfs-tools and linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae but we are not able.
Do the instructions from this point forward remain valid without any changes?

Thank you
Fran

Bryan Smith

Dec 3, 2013, 5:30:27 PM12/3/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hey Francisco,

I just tested that .deb on a Jessie rootfs and it worked fine for me. What release is your rootfs? You need to download that .deb and run dpkg -i on it:

Saving to: 'linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae_3.12-1~exp1_i386.deb'
root@minnowtest:/# dpkg -i linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae_3.12-1~exp1_i386.deb
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae.
(Reading database ... 18088 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae (from linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae_3.12-1~exp1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae (3.12-1~exp1) ...
Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 3.12-trunk-686-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.12-trunk-686-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.12-trunk-686-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.12-trunk-686-pae
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.12-trunk-686-pae

Let me know if you have any other issues.

Bryan

francisco jose torcal milla

Dec 5, 2013, 9:37:10 AM12/5/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bryan,

this is becoming a tough peregrination... thanks a lot!!

Firstly, I think we have Jessie rootfs. We just follow your tutorial.

When we run

root@minnow:/dev# dpkg -i linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae_3.12-1~exp1_i386.deb

we obtain

(Reading database ... 14774 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae 3.12-1~exp1 (using linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae_3.12-1~exp1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae:
 linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae depends on linux-base (>= 3~); however:
  Package linux-base is not installed.
 linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae depends on initramfs-tools (>= 0.110~) | linux-initramfs-tool; however:
  Package initramfs-tools is not installed.
  Package linux-initramfs-tool is not installed.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae (--install):
 linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae

 Then, Initramfs is not installed and we are not able to continue.
Besides, before that, the function "deb" is not recognized, when we run

we obtain

bash: deb: command not found

I think we have solved it by changing deb by wget, but I don't know how to change deb-src...

on the other hand, if we try this (from your tutorial)
root@minnow:/dev# apt-get install linux-image-686-rt-pae

we obtain

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-image-686-rt-pae

Thank you for your valuable help and best regards
Fran

Bryan Smith

Dec 5, 2013, 10:16:33 AM12/5/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hey Fran,

It seems that you are trying to run commands that aren't commands at all, for instance:

This is a line that goes into the file /etc/apt/sources.list not a command. What does it show if you run this command from the rootfs:

apt-cache search linux-image?

Bryan

francisco jose torcal milla

Dec 5, 2013, 10:39:30 AM12/5/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bryan

when we run

root@minnow:/dev# apt-cache search linux-image

we get

linux-image-3.11-2-486 - Linux 3.11 for older PCs
linux-image-3.11-2-686-pae - Linux 3.11 for modern PCs
linux-image-3.11-2-686-pae-dbg - Debugging symbols for Linux 3.11-2-686-pae
linux-image-3.11-2-amd64 - Linux 3.11 for 64-bit PCs
linux-image-486 - Linux for older PCs (meta-package)
linux-image-686-pae - Linux for modern PCs (meta-package)
linux-image-686-pae-dbg - Debugging symbols for Linux 686-pae configuration (meta-package)
linux-image-amd64 - Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)
linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae - Linux 3.12 for modern PCs

After that, we have tried all 686 versions that appear by running

apt-get install "version"

As an example, we run root@minnow:/dev# apt-get install linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae

and get

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae is already the newest version.
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
 linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae : Depends: linux-base (>= 3~) but it is not going to be installed
                                  Depends: initramfs-tools (>= 0.110~) but it is not going to be installed or
                                           linux-initramfs-tool
                                  Recommends: firmware-linux-free (>= 3~) but it is not going to be installed
                                  Recommends: libc6-i686 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

After that, we have tried "apt-get -f install", as it recomends but we get the same output

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae is already the newest version.
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
 linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae : Depends: linux-base (>= 3~) but it is not going to be installed
                                  Depends: initramfs-tools (>= 0.110~) but it is not going to be installed or
                                           linux-initramfs-tool
                                  Recommends: firmware-linux-free (>= 3~) but it is not going to be installed
                                  Recommends: libc6-i686 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Thank you
Fran

Scott Garman

Dec 6, 2013, 1:56:12 PM12/6/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fran,

That's a custom Linux image created using the poky reference distro,
which isn't much of a usable distro for general purpose situations.

I just started a "from scratch" setup using the Angstrom v2013-06 image,
and all I had to do to get my Logitech C310 to work with the
demo_webcam_test.py script was to install the python-opencv package:

opkg update
opkg install python-opencv

I have confirmed that if you don't have a webcam connected to the system
(or it's not detected by the OS), that this script will pop up a blank
window. So my guess is your webcam was not being detected by the OS in
your previous tests.

Scott

On 11/26/2013 04:55 AM, francisco jose torcal milla wrote:
> Thank you Scoot.
>
> We have tried your O.S. and it works properly. Does it work only in
> Terminal mode?
> Lamentably we are not experts. Which Linux distribution is it? How can
> we install packages on it?
> We have tried opkg, dpkg, apt-get, aptitude, ipkg...
> In addition, how can we configure internet connection?
>
> Thank you in advance
> Fran
>
> El jueves, 21 de noviembre de 2013 22:17:50 UTC+1, Scott Garman escribió:
>
> Hi Fran,
>
> It seems like every time I see your messages, I don't have easy access
> to my MinnowBoard and webcam to actually test it.
>
> Can you try using this image (which isn't Angstrom based) and see if it
> makes a difference?
>
> http://www.zenlinux.com/minnow/robot-opencv-demo-image-minnow.hddimg
> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zenlinux.com%2Fminnow%2Frobot-opencv-demo-image-minnow.hddimg&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEHMydShtuh94ot3kwcq-SG6nlyWQ>
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FMinnowBoard%2Fminnowboard_fish_picker_upper&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNH2wXBHvA393AJKd_O9-2fbuLmKeg>
>
> > <https://github.com/MinnowBoard/minnowboard_fish_picker_upper
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FMinnowBoard%2Fminnowboard_fish_picker_upper&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNH2wXBHvA393AJKd_O9-2fbuLmKeg>>
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FMinnowBoard%2Fminnowboard_fish_picker_upper%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Fdebug_webcam_test.py&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEyKWC34GgMrtWnZRt-GNuOut_CQQ>
>

> <https://github.com/MinnowBoard/minnowboard_fish_picker_upper/blob/master/debug_webcam_test.py
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FMinnowBoard%2Fminnowboard_fish_picker_upper%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Fdebug_webcam_test.py&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEyKWC34GgMrtWnZRt-GNuOut_CQQ>>

Bryan Smith

Dec 6, 2013, 6:19:06 PM12/6/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hey Fran,

I'm going to try and replicate your issues later, but I haven't been able to as of yet. It all seems to work. I'll go through the whole tutorial again and try and see what your issue is.

Maybe I'll have time over the weekend to see what's going on. The tutorial should "just work"  if followed.

If I missed something I'll let you know,

Bryan

francisco jose torcal milla

Dec 9, 2013, 10:27:08 AM12/9/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Thank you  very much Bryan,

we are a little bit desperate...
We think that there is a problem with the "dpkg -i ... " line. and the initramfs
It is not installed.

We have also tried with other available linux distributions but the same thing happens.

thanks a lot
Fran

Bryan Smith

Dec 9, 2013, 9:32:48 PM12/9/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Fran,

You should be able to fix your problems by either following the instructions on the wiki all over again(I changed somethings) or by doing the following after you chroot into your rootfs:

apt-get remove linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae

apt-get install linux-image-686-pae

Download the kernel

Now try to install it again
dpkg -i linux-image-3.12-trunk-686-pae_3.12-1~exp1_i386.deb

If you want to you can go back over the Wiki page, which I have changed and do the instructions all over again. I have changed the kernel part a little and the grub part so that it uses the kernel that is above.

I just went over and over this a few times and replicated your issue...let me know what happens.

Bryan

francisco jose torcal milla

Dec 10, 2013, 5:16:45 AM12/10/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hey Scoot,

This is unbelievable! There has to be something missing. We have done exactly what you say, by taking a new minnowboard (We have bought five) with the operative system preinstalled.

We have run opkg update and opkg install python-opencv and have tried your file debug_webcam_test.py. Indeed, we have bought a Logitech C310 cam!
the webcam is recognized by the minnowboard but we obtain the same output, all windows stopped and a new white window appears. Nor image neither streaming.

Some help?
Thanks a lot
Fran

Hart, Darren

Dec 10, 2013, 9:45:22 AM12/10/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fran,

What is the output of lsmod?

What are you using to determine that the OS has detected the webcam?

francisco jose torcal milla <bilbi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Scoot,

This is unbelievable! There has to be something missing. We have done exactly what you say, by taking a new minnowboard (We have bought five) with the operative system preinstalled.

We have run opkg update and opkg install python-opencv and have tried your file debug_webcam_test.py. Indeed, we have bought a Logitech C310 cam!
the webcam is recognized by the minnowboard but we obtain the same output, all windows stopped and a new white window appears. Nor image neither streaming.

Some help?
Thanks a lot
Fran

Scott Garman

Dec 10, 2013, 11:32:43 AM12/10/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
The Angstrom image includes the Cheese photobooth application which will
use your webcam, it's under Sound & Video in the menu. Is the webcam
working with Cheese?

Scott

On 12/10/2013 02:16 AM, francisco jose torcal milla wrote:
> [...]
>

> > Scott
> >
> > On 10/31/2013 03:55 AM, francisco jose torcal milla
> wrote:
> > > Hi Scott,
> > >
> > > we are trying to use a Logitech cam, C310 model
> (I am not
> sure).
> > > We would like to use opencv but it appears that
> doesn't work
> > properly.
> > > Could you please tell us which libraries and/or
> packages are
> > necessary
> > > and which command lines are you using to get the
> webcam
> streaming?
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance!!
> > > Fran
> > >
> > > El mi�rcoles, 30 de octubre de 2013 15:47:08

Dec 12, 2013, 8:47:25 AM12/12/13
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scoot , Bryan and Darren,

Scoot, the camera is working well with cheese but your fiel does not work. We have updated, installed python/opencv, python/imaging and cheese.
Ideas?

Bryan, we have tried two times your tutorial again. We have found that the line where one has to change

 DEBOOTSTRAP_DIR=/debinst/usr/sbin/debootstrap

does not work, it has to be

 DEBOOTSTRAP_DIR=/debinst/usr/sbare/debootstrap

On the other hand, when we install the linux/image/686/pae, we found some problems with reading the "mtab".
The same appears when we intall the following linux distribution.
Despite this, we will try again and again.
We are using a sd card into an usb adapter to install Debian in.

Darren, the output of lsmod is
Module                  Size  Used by
fuse                   64825  3
emgd                  576397  5
drm_kms_helper         30416  1 emgd
drm                   213857  7 emgd,drm_kms_helper
agpgart                26723  1 drm
ip_tables              11362  0
x_tables               14666  1 ip_tables
snd_hda_codec_realtek    58212  1
snd_hda_intel          30137  0
uvcvideo               66013  0
videobuf2_vmalloc       3103  1 uvcvideo
pch_can                10976  0
snd_hda_codec          92708  2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm                71464  2 snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_timer              16594  1 snd_pcm
snd                    45140  5 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
soundcore                838  1 snd
videobuf2_memops        2397  1 videobuf2_vmalloc
can_dev                 8085  1 pch_can
videobuf2_core         27815  1 uvcvideo
snd_page_alloc          7408  2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
pch_phub                8005  0
pch_gbe                50890  0
ptp_pch                 6620  1 pch_gbe
ptp                     7857  1 ptp_pch