Where to buy BOB lure in Europe?

Andrey

Jan 14, 2014, 11:04:43 AM1/14/14
to minno...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I was looking for reseller in Europe to buy BOB lure (I already have Minnowboard) and somehow did not find one. So I would appreciate any hints.

Thank you,
Andrey.

Scott Garman

Jan 15, 2014, 4:08:20 PM1/15/14
to minno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrey,

Lures are sold directly from CircuitCo's boardzoo.com site, not through
distributors:

http://boardzoo.com/index.php/minnow-lures/bob-lure.html

I believe they will ship worldwide, with few exceptions.

Scott

--
Scott Garman
Embedded Linux Engineer - Yocto Project

sels...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2014, 5:51:18 PM1/15/14
to minno...@googlegroups.com
On 15/01/14 21:08, Scott Garman wrote:

> I believe they will ship worldwide, with few exceptions.

So $24.95 for the BOB lure, overpriced if you ask me, it's basically a couple of connectors.

Shipping to the UK starts at $55.06 and ranges up to $102.90. Thanks, but no thanks.

Could probably build 4-5 of these for the cost of getting one shipped over :(

Seems strange to sell the minnowboard through distributors if the addon's end up single
source and priced out of the market due to silly shipping costs.

Scott Garman

Jan 15, 2014, 6:22:35 PM1/15/14
to minno...@googlegroups.com
I see your point, but you realize the schematics, gerbers etc. are
available and you could make any variation on this you want and start
selling them in your local country? That's the nice thing about
embracing open hardware, it gives people choices.

Andrey Nechypurenko

Jan 16, 2014, 2:15:35 AM1/16/14
to minno...@googlegroups.com
> Lures are sold directly from CircuitCo's boardzoo.com site, not through
> distributors:
>
> http://boardzoo.com/index.php/minnow-lures/bob-lure.html

Thank you Scott for clarification!

Regards,
Andrey.

Iain

Jan 16, 2014, 11:48:41 AM1/16/14
to minno...@googlegroups.com
On 15/01/14 23:22, Scott Garman wrote:

> I see your point, but you realize the schematics, gerbers etc. are
> available and you could make any variation on this you want and start
> selling them in your local country? That's the nice thing about
> embracing open hardware, it gives people choices.

Absolutely, and I did build one for myself some months back :)
I can understand that a lot of people will just want to buy one though.
Building them is easy if you have the equipment, less so if you don't.

I don't know what sort of volumes of minnows get sold, but I suspect it's
much smaller than BBB, never mind Raspberry Pi.
So even though I could, I'm not sure if it's worth it or not.

Iain

Jan 16, 2014, 12:01:55 PM1/16/14
to minno...@googlegroups.com
On 15/01/14 23:22, Scott Garman wrote:

> I see your point, but you realize the schematics, gerbers etc. are
> available and you could make any variation on this you want and start
> selling them in your local country? That's the nice thing about
> embracing open hardware, it gives people choices.

oh, btw, Scott, this isn't specific to the Minnow, those of us that are in Europe
have long come to expect that shipping tech stuff in from the US means silly
shipping charges and, in the UK at least, $1 = £1 style exchange rates which
combine to make it pointless.

I was looking at a different SBC that goes for $199 in the US, but by the
time I got their US disty to ship it over it was going to be more like $450

Anyway, for anyone who wants to build their own and can't decode the digikey
part numbers for the connector, this is the one you want:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1098353

The TE/AMP part number is 5-5179009-4 which should be much more searchable.