Qualtrics stuck loading from AMP task

Angela Yuson Lee

Nov 10, 2020, 3:39:07 AM11/10/20
to Minno.js
Dear all,

Thank you so much for creating this resource! MinnoJS has been incredibly helpful for my studies.

I'm currently trying to use the MinnoJS script for the AMP task for a class replication project. I followed the steps outlined in the documentation so that my Qualtrics could run the race AMP task from my own github-pages.

However, I've been struggling to figure out how to effectively adjust the base_url to bring in my own images. I have all my images in a public github directory, which is linked in the script replacing the baranan.github.io. link. However, my Qualtrics cannot seem to load the new images and appears to get stuck at the following loading screen.

I was wondering if you have encountered this problem before and if you might have any advice on how to resolve this. I greatly appreciate your time in helping me with this question and in creating this valuable resource.

Thank you so much!
Angela Lee
Stanford University

Yoav Bar-Anan

Nov 10, 2020, 8:01:31 AM11/10/20
to Minno.js
Dear Angela,

Can you please send along a link to your AMP script?

I would like to see the value you set to replace

Thanks,
Yoav

Yoav Bar-Anan

Nov 15, 2020, 11:56:33 AM11/15/20
to Minno.js
I see I accidentally removed this correspondence from the minnojs group, so I'm bringing it back, with my reply below.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 6:44 AM Yoav Bar-Anan <bar...@tauex.tau.ac.il> wrote:
Hi Angela,

Two things I noticed:

1. I searched for your photos under that url (e.g., https://psych251.github.io/vanKoningsbruggen2017/inquisit_stimuli_imagesonly/fb1.jpg) and they were not there. Make sure you have a  "/vanKoningsbruggen2017/inquisit_stimuli_imagesonly" folder under the folder you defined as your github page directory, with your photos.

2. Your script does not define the target stimuli, the mask stimulus, and the mask stimulus in the example block. So, the script will use the photos defined at the extension you're using. To see where those are set, search in the extension for the parameters are targetCats, exampleMaskStimulus, and maskStimulus. The script will search for those photos under your url (e.g.,  https://psych251.github.io/vanKoningsbruggen2017/inquisit_stimuli_imagesonly/pic1.jpg). You can choose to change those photo names by defining those parameters in your own script.

In summary, please make sure the url you define as the images url is accessible and includes all the images in the task, including those defined in the extension script.

I hope that helps,
Yoav

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 3:27 PM Angela Yuson Lee <ang...@stanford.edu> wrote:
Dear Yoav,

Thank you so much for your help!

Sincerely,
Angela

Dr James

Nov 20, 2020, 1:04:23 PM11/20/20
to Minno.js
Dear Yoav, Angela,

I seem to be having the same issue with the AMP images not loading on Qualtrics. I've been following the instructions on this page: https://minnojs.github.io/minnojs-blog/qualtrics-amp/

Everything is fine when running the AMP script, but there seems to be a problem when loading my own script file. I'm using github and have managed to upload all of my images, e.g. here is the image for the mask: https://trevorkeithjames.github.io/AMP-Qualtrics/ampimages/ampmask.jpg

At the moment, I'm not even trying to change the images, instead I'm just testing whether the same task that works in the blog example above will run when I use the same images but from my github page. However, when I try to use the images on my github page for the stimuli (b01, b02, etc.), then the javascript on Qualtrics gets stuck as in the image below:

Would really appreciate some help with this as I was hoping to introduce some students to this task and with COVID this seemed like a great opportunity. I'm not a programmer however, so there might be something very simple that I'm missing.

Best,
Trevor

Yoav Bar-Anan

Nov 20, 2020, 2:06:59 PM11/20/20
to Dr James, Minno.js
Dear Trevor,

Can you please add a link to your script? The one you used to replace https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/gh/baranan/minno-tasks@0.*/amp/qualtrics/race_amp.js

Thanks,
Yoav

Angela Yuson Lee

Nov 20, 2020, 7:18:20 PM11/20/20
to Dr James, Minno.js
Hi Trevor,

Sorry you had the same problem that I did! In case it's helpful, here is the link to my JS script for my task; happy to help in any way that I can.

Take care!

-Angela

Dr James

Nov 20, 2020, 7:31:01 PM11/20/20
to Minno.js

Yoav Bar-Anan

Nov 21, 2020, 12:57:03 AM11/21/20
to Dr James, Minno.js
Hi Trevor,

The scripts are fine (although, you did not have to copy the fullampscript. It is fine to point to our full script from your script).

When I load your qualtrics study, and hit F12 to see what's wrong, I can see that it fails to load some of the image files. For example, pic80.jpg and pic2.jpg. Not sure what's wrong with pic2 (it seems to exist but not sure what I'm seeing there; it does look like pic200, for example), however, pic80 is indeed missing.

I hope that helps.

Yoav

Dr James

Dec 1, 2020, 9:01:07 AM12/1/20
to Minno.js
Thank you Yoav (and Angela),

The issues was with the images as you suspected. I'm not sure why, but I think some of the images didn't load correctly when I did them in a batch. I re-uploaded 10 at a time and it worked fine. I do have another issue though, which I'm hoping is not a big problem...

I can't seem to see any of the AMP data when I download the CSV file. To test it, I created a Qualtrics survey with just 1 question which was the AMP task, and then recorded some responses. I'm not sure if you're able to see the screenshot below, but this is what I'm getting when I download the CSV file from Qualtrics. I expected a column with some 'E' and 'I' inputs?

best,
Trevor

Dr James

Dec 2, 2020, 9:49:59 AM12/2/20
to Minno.js
Hi, I think I found the error. I was following the instructions for the AMP from here: https://minnojs.github.io/minnojs-blog/qualtrics-amp/

However, on another blog page there were instructions on how to set up the script in Qualtrics: https://minnojs.github.io/minnojs-blog/qualtrics/

On this second link it was very clear that I needed to set up the Qualtrics question with the JS code as a multi-line question. Works fine as far as I can tell. I'm based at Newcastle University in the UK. Let me know if you'd like me to recommend your scripts to other colleagues.

best,
Trevor

Yoav Bar-Anan

Dec 2, 2020, 11:34:56 AM12/2/20
to Dr James, Minno.js
Dear Trevor,

I'm glad you found the answer. Not sure I would have noticed it. Thank you very much for adding this information to this thread. I corrected the blog post to include this information.
I hope the script will prove useful.

All the best,
Yoav