Self Service Programming: Qualtrics Vs Minno JS

Amit Dhir

Feb 15, 2021, 12:57:41 PM2/15/21
to Minno.js
Hi,

I am a bit of a novice to when it comes to Minno JS - but I'm very interested in running IATs either through Qualtrics, or by creating my own using the Minno platform.

I see that you don't need programming experience (which is a huge relief!) as I would love to quickly be able to create my own IAT, and send this as a web-link to invite others to take it, via another survey platform that I use, called SERMO.

I'm quite lost with where to start however, as there is so much information via project implicit, and so I think I just need a bit of guidance.

So my questions are:
- Where do I start if I want to run an IAT - what can I find the best step-by-step resources for a complete beginner? I found there are too many hyperlinks in some of the resources on Project Implicit, and I end up going down a bit of a rabbit hole :)
- Can anyone advise on pros and cons of using qualtrics, vs. just programming yourself via Minno Time? I.e. why would you want to do one vs the other?
- How long on average can I expect it to take to get up and running with Minnno? I do have a little bit of experience in programming in R and SPSS (in case this helps?) and am happy to learn some JS if this required, but it'd be great to understand how steep and how long the learning curve is?
- If there is any step by step videos on how to get started, this would be brilliant - as I think I learn better this way

Apologies for all the rookie questions, but really hoping to be able to run an IAT soon, as I think this could help with the kind of research I'll be doing in the future.

Many thanks,
Amit

Mayan Navon

Feb 15, 2021, 2:13:44 PM2/15/21
to Amit Dhir, Minno.js
Hi Amit,

Thanks for your interest in MinnoJS!
I'll try to answer with only a few hyperlinks :)

1. It depends whether you want to use our Qualtrics extensions or on your own server. So I'll answer the 2nd question first.
2. Qualtrics extensions are ready-to-use minno.js scripts of IAT tasks that are saved on our servers. You are able to access them within Qualtrics and change the task parameters (e.g., the stimuli). Here is a simple guide for setting up an IAT in Qualtrics. Pros: Very easy to set up and use, no programming required (except changing some parameters). Cons: We have built several extensions for Implicit measures (see the blog posts here). However, it would be more difficult for you to build and add other minno.js tasks. So, if you just want to run an IAT task, I'd recommend using the Qualtrics extensions. If you want to build your own tasks, I'd recommend using minno.js own your own server. Here is a simple guide for that, and here is another guide from our blog. Pros: the opportunities for task-building on minno.js are pretty much endless. minno.js is a very flexible tool for building RT and questionnaire tasks. Cons: requires you to spend some time learning how to write tasks in minno.js. Here is the full documentation.
1. So if you want to use the Qualtrics extensions, I'd start with the simple guides, and then go to the documentation/ this group if you can't find your answers there. If you want to use minno.js on your own server, then I'd start with the documentation (specifically, I'd first take a look at the example tasks and then dive into everything else).
3. From my experience, it is definitely easier to learn new programming languages if you already know another programming language. I'm not sure how long it would take you (it depends on a lot of things!), but you are always welcome to ask questions here.
4. Unfortunately no, but that's a good idea!

Best,
Mayan

Mayan

Amit Dhir

Feb 16, 2021, 11:17:14 AM2/16/21
to Minno.js
Hi Mayan,

Extremely helpful, thank you!

I'll take a look through the Qualtrics document first, as I think this is the option I'm leaning towards for now.

Will reach out if I have any further questions.

Best,
Amit

Amit Dhir

Feb 16, 2021, 11:44:08 AM2/16/21
to Minno.js
Hi again, Mayan

I am going through the instructions for Qualtircs, and I near the beginning stages of adding in a text box (multi-line) with a page break before and after the IAT question.

The instructions tell me that on the cog to the left-hand side of the question, I should see a function to  "add javascript", but this isn't visible on my Qualtrics.

Are you able to advise, please?

Mayan Navon

Feb 16, 2021, 1:18:12 PM2/16/21
to Amit Dhir, Minno.js
Hi Amit,

That's odd. It should be visible when you press the cog-wheel. Maybe you're using a trial account? I just read that they don't enable this option on the trial version.

image.png

--
Mayan

Amit Dhir

Feb 18, 2021, 5:57:25 AM2/18/21
to Minno.js
Thanks, Mayan.

Exactly right, I was logged in using a more basic version of Qualtrics. I found my old university login details, so I was able to see the JS icon under the cog-wheel in this version of the account.

I'll work through the instructions, and keep you posted in case of any other questions.

Best,
Amit

Amit Dhir

Feb 18, 2021, 11:00:21 AM2/18/21
to Minno.js
Hi Mayan,

I'm getting a little stuck trying to program my IAT into Qualtrics using the instructions you sent here and here

The links are similar, but not exactly the same, which I found to be a bit confusing - do I need both?

In the first link, I have copied and pasted all of the javascript from all of the black boxes into the JS editor in Qualtrics. Am I supposed to do this?

Unfortunately, I'm finding the guides a bit difficult to use, as it isn't written out as a 'step-by-step user manual' i.e. step 1, click here, step 2 click here etc, which is what I  think I really need.

In the second link, there is a hyperlink to Github where I am supposed to create my own host page? But again, I didn't find the guide that helpful in explaining why I needed to do this, and exactly how I should do this. I *think* I've managed to set up a publishing source in GitHub pages (though I have no idea what it is) and how I now link this back to Qualtrics.

Do you have any ideas on how to help me, I feel I'm failing at the first hurdle on this one.

I would definitely welcome any advice, (or even better) if it's possible to do a quick recorded video demo of the steps and send that over, that would be amazing! :)

Best,
Amit

Elinor Bengayev

Feb 21, 2021, 11:39:32 AM2/21/21
to Minno.js
Hi Amit, Elinor here :)
I will try to help as well.
First of all, I'm sorry you got stuck using our platform, we will try to get better explaining how to use it.
Regarding your questions:
Generally, I found the second post to be more helpful, as it exlpains only the important stuff, so try to working with it first.
About the first link issue, you need to only copy the first black box to the javascript section on Qualtrics. The rest of the black boxes are for setting up MinnoJS (your IAT's code). In the text inside this black box there is a link under a function called "onLoad()", replace the existing link with your GitHub link. That's leading me to your next question. You need to set up GitHub pages just to have a link for your task's code, therefore Qualtrics will know what to run.
GitHub is a platform that basically enables you to store your code and share it.

I hope that helped,
Regards,
Elinor

Amit Dhir

Feb 22, 2021, 6:15:34 AM2/22/21
to Minno.js
Hi Elinor, thanks for helping out.

I'm sure I'll get there, it just might take a bit of time :)

So, let me share some screenshots which I think might help you to diagnose where I am, and what I could be doing better.

The original code and IAT work fine when I run it in preview mode in Qualitrics, which is good i.e. so I am able to do the Race IAT test.

Where I seem to be getting stuck, is changing the URL link in the code to the Github page that I have published, per the instructions.

The first screenshot (attached) shows my Qualitrics Java Script Code which I refers to the Github page.

The second screenshot (attached) shows the code that I have copied and pasted into GitHub

You can hopefully see the same code in the link here

Can you please tell me where I am going wrong because whenever I go to 'preview' the code in Qualtrics, I am unable to see the IAT when it refers to my GitHib?

Many thanks,
Amit
Qualtrics Java Script.PNG
GitHub Page Code for Race IAT.png

Mayan Navon

Feb 22, 2021, 8:05:04 AM2/22/21
to Amit Dhir, Minno.js
Hi Amit,

Thanks for sharing your code. The problem is with the format of your IAT script. You saved it as a markdown file (.md) but it should be JavaScript (.js). Just save this code as .js and upload it to your server, and then change the url in your Qualtrics code to something like: https://adhir84.github.io/IAT/iat_script.js.

Let us know if the problem persists.

Best,
Mayan

--
Mayan

Amit Dhir

Feb 26, 2021, 9:47:48 AM2/26/21
to Mayan Navon, Minno.js
Hi Mayan,

Thanks you so much - I’ll check this out when I can.

It’s been super busy this week, so I haven’t had time to log in and take a look.

I’ll reach back out if any other questions.

Thanks,
Amit

Sent from my iPhone