One-block IAT

Benedek Kurdi

Apr 19, 2024, 10:31:39 AMApr 19
to Minno.js
Hi all,
In one of my studies I'm trying to implement a practice IAT with a single block. I thought it might be possible to do this with the existing template but now my sense is that there the number of trials has to be the same for the two critical blocks. Is this accurate? And if so could you please help me modify the template?
Thanks so much!
—Benedek

Yoav Bar-Anan

Apr 20, 2024, 3:14:01 PMApr 20
to Benedek Kurdi, Minno.js

Hi Benedek,

The IAT extension does not support a one-block IAT. To implement that, copy the current extension to your folder, modify it, and use it.
I think that the following modifications will work:

  • In the parameters that you pass to the script, set 0 trials for all the blocks other than blockFirstCombined_nTrials:
            blockAttributes_nTrials : 0,
            blockAttributes_nMiniBlocks : 0,
            blockCategories_nTrials : 0,
            blockCategories_nMiniBlocks : 0,
            blockFirstCombined_nTrials : 40,
            blockFirstCombined_nMiniBlocks : 10,
            blockSecondCombined_nTrials : 0,
            blockSecondCombined_nMiniBlocks : 0,
            blockSwitch_nTrials : 0,
            blockSwitch_nMiniBlocks : 0,

That change will create an IAT with two critical blocks. You don’t want the second critical block, so you need to modify the code that creates that block. It is in line 1078. I think that the following change would work:

        //if (blockParamsCombined.nTrials > 0)
        if (FALSE)

These changes might cause some unexpected problems, perhaps when computing the score. If that happens, you might want to comment out a few things, or ask again here, and we’ll sort it out.

Good luck,
Yoav

Benedek Kurdi

Apr 23, 2024, 7:04:06 PMApr 23
to Yoav Bar-Anan, Minno.js

Hi Yoav,
Thanks, this worked perfectly. (In case this becomes relevant to anyone else, the only small change I had to make is that FALSE in all caps was not recognized as a Boolean, so I changed it to all lowercase.)
Thanks again!
—Benedek