Possibility of subliminal priming task?

Michael Andreychik

Apr 7, 2021, 5:28:12 PM4/7/21
to Minno.js
I'm hoping to recreate a subliminal priming task that can be run in Qualtrics but am unsure if this is possible using Minno.js. In particular, I'm wondering (1) if Qualtrics will support very short stimulus presentations, and if so, (2) whether it would be possible to modify the existing Minno evaluative priming script to instantiate a sequence in which a masking stimulus is presented, then a picture prime is briefly displayed, then the mask is presented again, and then the participant has to respond (likely with a positive vs. negative judgment) to a target word. I can run the task in Inquisit but would love to move it to Qualtrics for ease of administration. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide and for making this terrific resource available!

Mike

Elad Zlotnick

Apr 8, 2021, 3:42:23 PM4/8/21
to Minno.js
Hi Michael,

The possibility of creating such a task depends on your exact needs.
Most subliminal priming tasks require very high control of stimulus presentation.
This type of control is not possible in web based platforms.
This limitation is not unique to Qualtrics or to MinnoJS, rather it is caused by web technology itself (namely, by browsers. see for example Bridges et al., 2020; https://peerj.com/articles/9414/).
Assuming this is indeed your need, I would highly recommend that you stick to an offline platform (such as inquisit lab).

best,
Elad

Yoav Bar-Anan

Apr 9, 2021, 6:23:40 AM4/9/21
to Minno.js
I will only add that Inquisit Web is installed on the participant's computer, so it probably should be able to support the same high control of the timing of the stimulus presentation as Inquisit Lab.

Yoav