EC with sound stimuli

Benedek Kurdi

Sep 6, 2022, 1:30:23 PM9/6/22
to Minno.js

Hi all,
I'm trying to implement an evaluative conditioning paradigm involving sound unconditioned stimuli. I have multiple scripts with visual EC, but I'm not even sure where to start on the sound version.
Does anyone have a sense of how to present sound stimuli in Minno?
Thanks so much in advance for any pointers.
—Benedek

Yoav Bar-Anan

Sep 6, 2022, 2:15:08 PM9/6/22
to Benedek Kurdi, Minno.js
Hi Benedek,

In this study, in the file induce.js, we programmed a procedure based on the pairing task from Moran & Bar-Anan (2013). That procedure plays sound. The procedure also includes catch trials with a secondary task of choosing the correct word, used to make sure that participants listen to sounds. I recommend running the study to understand what's going on in theat procedure (the study starts with the induction).

The most relevant code is in lines 44-77. The line that gets the relevant sound file is "var src = _.get(currentTrial, 'stimuli[2].$templated.media.soundd');". It is based on the knowledge that the second stimulus in the trials used in our task is the one that holds the mp3 file. This part might be slightly different in your trial, depending on the stimuli in that trial. Anyway, feel free to send another question because adapting the code for your task might not be straightforward.

Yoav

Benedek Kurdi

Sep 20, 2022, 9:07:22 AM9/20/22
to Minno.js

Thanks so much, as always, Yoav. I was able to implement my task based on this.
—Benedek