Brief -IAT

Assaf Suberry

Oct 12, 2021, 3:07:05 AM10/12/21
to Minno.js
Hi and thanks for the great forum

I will be using the Brief-IAT extension
The script generate a 7 block with 20 trails in each block

From reading the article in details  ( the Brief-IAT)
I  understand that  the test should use only 4 +1practice Blocks
and some may use 2 blocks

Why is there a gap between the article and the extension script?
Thank you
Assaf

Yoav Bar-Anan

Oct 12, 2021, 6:01:37 AM10/12/21
to Assaf Suberry, Minno.js
Hi Assaf,

In general, more blocks (and trials) improve reliability and validity. I think that you might find some relevant evidence in Nosek et al., 2014.

Notice also that the original Brief-IAT paper used tasks that had both pleasant and unpleasant attributes as focal attributes, but the default in the extension is to use only 'attribute1' (Pleasant). The original paper and other published research suggested that using the negative attribute as a focal attribute isn't helpful (Nosek et al, 2014). On the other hand, there is one paper that found some discrepancies between focal-negative blocks and focal-positive blocks, which suggests that there might be something interesting in focal-negative blocks. Still, I recommend using only positive-focal blocks. I believe it means that you only need to change nCategoryAttributeBlocks to 2, if you want a short task (1 practice + 4).

Yoav

Assaf Suberry

Oct 12, 2021, 11:52:42 AM10/12/21
to Minno.js
Thank you Yoav for you answer
It is a very big help.  I will use the full version as written in the script
Assaf

ב-יום שלישי, 12 באוקטובר 2021 בשעה 13:01:37 UTC+3, Yoav Bar-Anan כתב/ה: