Random seed for task order?

Benedek Kurdi

Aug 22, 2022, 12:14:09 PM8/22/22
to Minno.js
Hi everyone,
I have a time 1/time 2 within participant design where participants take an IAT and a set of explicit items both at time 1 and at time 2.
The tasks look like this (same at time 2 except with a different subscript):
        {mixer: 'random',
            data: [
                 {mixer: 'wrapper',
                     data: [
                         {inherit:'instiat1'},
                         {inherit:'iat1'}
                     ]
                 },
                {inherit:'exp1'}
            ]
        }

Is there a way to set a seed for the random mixer so that the order of the implicit and explicit items remains the same for each subject at time 1 and time 2?
If it was only the IAT and the explicit, I would just create a variable tasks = [exp, iat] and then would shuffle that for each participant. But I'm not sure how to do this given that the IAT also has an associated instructions file, which complicates things.
Thanks so much for your help in advance.
—Benedek

Mayan Navon

Aug 22, 2022, 12:46:07 PM8/22/22
to Benedek Kurdi, Minno.js
Hi Benedek,

We need more details. Do you run the two sessions immediately one after the other? Do you use the same study for t1 & t2, or are these two separate studies?

Thanks.

Benedek Kurdi

Aug 22, 2022, 12:52:04 PM8/22/22
to Mayan Navon, Minno.js

Sorry, these are within the same session.

Sent from my iPhone

Mayan Navon

Aug 22, 2022, 1:00:24 PM8/22/22
to Benedek Kurdi, Minno.js
Great. So I would suggest using a branch mixer with a pre-defined order condition. Using a branch you can determine the entire sequence (that is, the sequence of all study parts) of both sessions based on that order condition.

Benedek Kurdi

Aug 22, 2022, 1:18:40 PM8/22/22
to Minno.js

Fair enough, thanks!