Still playing?

Jamie Thao

Jul 6, 2013, 2:37:30 AM7/6/13
to minnesota-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I was wondering if this group was still meeting up and playing?
I want to learn how to properly play and count. I usually play online Japanese style.

I hope to hear back from someone!

Jamie

Chris Schumann

Jul 8, 2013, 12:22:38 PM7/8/13
to minnesota-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jamie,

Sadly, I have not carved out time to have a play session recently. Life is a bit busy, but I'm hoping to plan one soon. If anyone else wants to make one happen, I can certainly provide support: rules, score cards, mahjong sets, and I may even play and teach.

A couple of us can help teach Riichi style, but we usually play Zung Jung, and even then, only a few of us like to keep score.

Hope to see you soon,
Chris

Nikki Valens

Jul 8, 2013, 7:41:54 PM7/8/13
to minnesota-m...@googlegroups.com
I would be able and willing to play some riichi. Depending on length of notice I may have some friends who could join.

Jared Johnson

Jul 17, 2013, 1:23:03 PM7/17/13
to minnesota-m...@googlegroups.com
I play Riichi but live in Marshall so have never been able to make a  session.

Jared Johnson

Mar 12, 2014, 1:09:46 AM3/12/14
to minnesota-m...@googlegroups.com
Moved to Minneapolis in November but seems like the group is kind of dead?

Chris Schumann

Mar 16, 2014, 9:30:12 PM3/16/14
On 03/12/2014 12:09 AM, Jared Johnson wrote:
> Moved to Minneapolis in November but seems like the group is kind of dead?

Hi Jared,

It's true that I haven't run an event in quite some time.

What style are you looking to play, or is mahjong new for you?

Chris

Jim Kaufman

Mar 17, 2014, 6:59:17 PM3/17/14
to minnesota-m...@googlegroups.com

My wife and are interested. She wants to play chinese tournament style, like in the tom sloper book

Chris Schumann

Mar 17, 2014, 8:45:12 PM3/17/14
to minnesota-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim and welcome to the group!

We teach and play Zung Jung style which will be easy for a Chinese
Official player to pick up in no time. Here are the main differences:
- There is no minimum score
- There are only 44 scoring patterns instead of 81 (no mixed shifted
chows, for example)
- Payout is always 3 times your score

As it happens, I can only get a few people to keep score so I'm glad to
have some more competitive players.

I hope to get a game together in the next couple of months.

Chris

Jared Johnson

Mar 17, 2014, 9:08:54 PM3/17/14
to minnesota-m...@googlegroups.com
I play Riichi Mahjong, have played it in various online versions and I play with a group of people at the Anime Detour convention.  I'm open to learning other styles since I don't really know anybody directly who plays.  I do have a riichi set.

Nikki Valens

Mar 17, 2014, 9:16:52 PM3/17/14
to minnesota-m...@googlegroups.com

Hahaha, the group you played with at Anime Detour was probably me. I also enjoy riichi. No other plans for mahjong currently, but I will be at Anime Detour again this year. Maybe I'll bring my table in to play a bit again.

Jared Johnson

Mar 19, 2014, 12:26:16 PM3/19/14
to minnesota-m...@googlegroups.com
Oh were you up on the top floor on Saturday with us after the Riichi Mahjong Panel . . . all day :p