{dc612} Holiday meeting reminder and Wardrive prep meeting...

David Bryan

Dec 7, 2009, 7:04:49 PM12/7/09
to minnesec
Social hour & Limo Wardrive Reminder:

Just a reminder about the DC612, MinneSec and WMFS-tc holiday gathering & Limo Wardriving Extravaganza.  It will be held Wednesday December 9th, 2009 6pm-9pm!  There will be a social hour from 6-9pm in the front area of Elsie's where people can gather and hang out.  Anyone is welcome for the social hour, and can stay at the bar while people wardrive!  For those that have purchased limo tickets, starting around 6:50ish we will gather to board the limo.  The limo ride lasts from 7pm-9pm, dropping us back off at Elsie's.

Wardrive Prep:
Calling all geeks and hackers- We will need a few people that have played with Linux or kismet/airdump-ng to help folks get their cards and configs in working order.  If you can help please send me and email so that we know who will be on hand to help out.

For those who need some help getting kismet, airodump, or other tools ready there will be a prep meeting tomorrow night at the Old Midway Hospital in the Conley Conference Room.  This room is reserved from 6:30pm - 8:30pm on 12/8/2009.  The building is the HealthEast corporate offices.  There is parking available on the south and west sides of the building as long as people don’t park in a lot marked for employees.  Street parking is also free and usually clear by 5 or 6pm. The building entrance is located on the west side, and people may need to check in at the front desk as visitors.  Jeff Ringsred will be there to greet people and direct them to the room.

1700 University Ave W
St. Paul, MN 55104

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1700+University+Ave+W,+St.+Paul,+MN+55104&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=47.215051,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=1700+University+Ave+W,+St+Paul,+Ramsey,+Minnesota+55104&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

Things to do or bring for the Wardrive:
Copy of back track CD or USB that is bootable, or a working linux distro of your choice that has working drivers loaded and kismet installed.
A card that can be put into promiscuous mode to capture all network traffic.   For cards that work well see http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/Compatibilityor http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers
A GPS is recommended, however not required.  Should works with GPSd http://gpsd.berlios.de/
Get familiar with kismet or airdump-ng seehttp://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=airodump-ng&DokuWiki=a4893616131c674097aa0ad3b6aea628 orhttp://www.kismetwireless.net/documentation.shtml

If you don't want to do all that work you could always run Netstumber on windows, however you mat not see clients or hidden SSIDs.
http://www.wlanbook.com/netstumbler-windows-vista/

Thanks so much for everyone's participation to make this event happen!

-VideoMan

--
David M. N. Bryan
da...@drstrangelove.net