COIN-BC Solver Command Output (Windows)

David Lloyd

Jun 26, 2024, 7:45:02 PM (11 days ago) Jun 26
to MiniZinc

When calling the command, `-threads` doesn't exist.

COIN-BC still solves correctly but is this meant to be the case?

Model creation...

Calling CbcMain with command 'cbc -threads 6 -solve -quit'...

--
version of minizinc

I just selected to use COIN-BC and bumped thread count to 6 in the GUI.

Help about says:

The MiniZinc IDE

Version 2.8.5

1315243669

Copyright Monash University, NICTA, Data61 2013-2024

jason.nguyen

Jun 26, 2024, 7:59:22 PM (11 days ago) Jun 26
to MiniZinc
Hi,

Currently in the official Windows bundles, Coin-OR CBC is compiled without threading enabled, which leads to that message.

Unfortunately it's quite difficult to compile CBC with threading enabled on Windows (since it uses pthreads, which isn't readily available when using MSVC to compile).
We tested using an open source implementation of pthreads for Windows, but it made the build process much more difficult, and enabling threads actually made solving slower, so we left it as it is now.

If you have access to a macOS/Linux machine then the threading options for CBC should work.

For the next MiniZinc release we should be to at least disable the thread count option in the IDE on Windows for CBC.

David Lloyd

Jun 26, 2024, 8:19:03 PM (11 days ago) Jun 26
to 'jason.nguyen' via MiniZinc

Thanks :)