QEMU freezes with MINIX 3 stable and snapshots

Jeremy Harden

Oct 29, 2023, 1:02:30 PM10/29/23
to minix3
I am using the current QEMU release with Debian 12 Bookworm, and it freezes at certain points of the install.

Here's my command references:
qemu-system-i386/qemu-system-x86_64 -boot d -cdrom minix.iso -m 2G minix.img -enable-kvm -vga virtio -full-screen

The harddrive image is an 80G image and is at a format of qcow2 for efficiency.

I was able to get the book cd to install using an 4G image (otherwise MINIX will truncate extra space beyond 4gigs) and it works alright (albeit networking is bust, might need to fiddle with it to get it to work).

Jeremy Harden

Oct 30, 2023, 12:13:43 AM10/30/23
to minix3
So far I took the nuclear option, build the operating system...  Right now building the source code on my NetBSD laptop (Librebooted Thinkpad x200, but I have to manually boot :P )

Murray Smith

Oct 30, 2023, 5:38:02 AM10/30/23
to min...@googlegroups.com
This has been seen before (   installing on KVM QEMU vs Virtualbox), you can bring minix out of a hang, but you have to run minix with KVM, go into the KVM terminal and send minix an interrupt to bring it out of the hang.

Otherwise you could try the option -no-hpet which disables the high performance timer.

As for minix "Hanging" it is stuck in an infinite idle loop waiting for an interrupt. Easy to see in the KVM debugger which I found to be line 210 or 213 of proc.c

Murray

Message has been deleted

Jeremy Harden

Oct 30, 2023, 10:51:13 AM10/30/23
to minix3
I am going to have to look into the documentation of how to use KVM terminal of sending an interrupt, due -no-hpet did not work.

Jeremy Harden

Nov 1, 2023, 1:30:17 PM11/1/23
to minix3
I have solved it.  Just in case I did at -no-hpet, but there was also -machine kernel-irqchip=off that needed to be appended to the qemu commandline.