running minix3 within hypervisor/docker?

Gary Boland

Jul 11, 2023, 10:21:57 AM7/11/23
to minix3
Howdy,

I am wondering if there is an easy way to install minix3 alongside an existing OS? I am running Windows10 with WSL. I have docker installed too. Is it possible to install the OS as a docker image?

TIA

Alan Abbott

Aug 14, 2023, 1:33:17 PM8/14/23
to minix3
If I understand docker correctly, it uses the kernel  of host linux system and then runs whats ever on top of that. so if your host was say Ubuntu, then the docker could be Fedora.
So by that premiss the answer would be no as Minix uses a different kernel.
Having said that what happens with a container is up to you, so  in theory  you could run an emulator directly from the linux kernel and that runs Minix. But wouldn't a VM be easier?
I would be more then happy if someone has a lot more knowledge then me on containers to correct what I have said. I am  just getting into using containers.
Alan