x11/libXau Ported (Pkgsrc)

pikpik

Jul 22, 2012, 1:31:16 AM7/22/12
to minix3
Hi,

I ported x11/libXau in pkgsrc. My changes are available in this commit
in my repository on GitHub: https://github.com/pikpik/minix-pkgsrc/commit/817b0fd1f960993b4a135f46fb20e8efd18c9f17

I'm sorry for not porting this sooner.

Thank you,
pikpik

r0ller

Jul 23, 2012, 6:31:50 AM7/23/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi pikpik,

Something I don't get: I managed to build libXau-1.0.6 via pkgsrc as a dependency of another package but without any modifications. Does your patch enable some additional function of the currently available libXau in pkgsrc?

Regards,
r0ller

pikpik

Jul 23, 2012, 2:40:42 PM7/23/12
to minix3
Hi r0ller,

On Jul 23, 6:31 am, r0ller wrote:

> Something I don't get: I managed to build libXau-1.0.6 via pkgsrc as a
> dependency of another package but without any modifications.

That's awesome, although I don't understand that either. Mind if I ask
what package you're building when it works?

> Does your patch enable some additional function of the currently
> available libXau in pkgsrc?

Not really, no. For me, libXau simply won't build when I'm building
fluxbox or libXau directly.

Thank you,
pikpik

r0ller

Jul 24, 2012, 6:44:16 AM7/24/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi pikpik,

I'm struggling to install dbus from pkgsrc so that must have been the one that built libXau as a dependency. I had some problems (you could see them reported few weeks back) building other dependencies but not with libXau. Currently, I'm having problems with libX11...

Regards,
r0ller

pikpik

Jul 25, 2012, 12:52:11 AM7/25/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi r0ller,

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:44:16 AM UTC-4, r0ller wrote:

I'm struggling to install dbus from pkgsrc so that must have been the one that built libXau as a dependency. I had some problems (you could see them reported few weeks back) building other dependencies but not with libXau. Currently, I'm having problems with libX11...

In my current attempt to build fluxbox, I'll have to try building libX11 too. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

I'll try building dbus on a new MINIX installation to see if it acts the same way for me.

Thank you,
pikpik

r0ller

Jul 25, 2012, 8:01:50 AM7/25/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi pikpik,

I also tried building fluxbox but changed my mind and now I'm trying to build EDE2.0 which requires dbus:) If you happen to bump into issues regarding fluxbox or dbus, you may find this and that in my recent posts:) Just one common thing: if you're installing certain packages (like dbus) with MINIXDYNAMIC=yes, some dependent packages are looking for shared libraries and if only the corresponding static lib is found you'll get misleading errors like in case of py-cElementTree (see https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/minix3/pycelementtree/minix3/bByfpMX8Ypw/byvqqYxZLrIJ). Good luck!

Regards,
r0ller

pikpik

Jul 25, 2012, 12:32:54 PM7/25/12
to minix3
Hi r0ller,

On Jul 25, 8:01 am, r0ller wrote:
> Hi pikpik,
>
> I also tried building fluxbox but changed my mind and now I'm trying to
> build EDE2.0 which requires dbus:) If you happen to bump into issues
> regarding fluxbox or dbus, you may find this and that in my recent posts:)

Ah, ok. Thanks! :)

> Just one common thing: if you're installing certain packages (like dbus)
> with MINIXDYNAMIC=yes, some dependent packages are looking for shared
> libraries and if only the corresponding static lib is found you'll get
> misleading errors like in case of py-cElementTree (seehttps://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/minix3/pyceleme...).

That's very interesting! I hadn't even thought of using MINIXDYNAMIC
in pkgsrc. :)

So, the problem seems to be with mixing static and shared libraries?
If I remember correctly, when I tracked current and rebuilt all my
packages, the problem with py-cElementTree went away.

Here are some ideas for rebuilding packages, if you're interested:

The best way to rebuild all packages is to use "/usr/pkgsrc/minix/
pbulk-jail.sh -A," but it's very expensive in terms of time and
effort. (There might also be a bug in it currently.)

A much more efficient way is to rebuild just the installed packages.
I'd use /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_rolling-replace for this. Here's how
I've used it:

1. Build & install pkg_rolling-replace: cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/
pkg_rolling-replace; bmake install

2. Mark all installed packages for rebuilding: pkg_admin set
rebuild=YES '*'

3. Rebuild all the packages: pkg_rolling-replace

If you try this, I'd love to know how it goes for you.

> Good luck!

Thanks, and you too!

pikpik