Booting Minix 3.3.0

Eduardo Fernandez del Peloso

Sep 4, 2023, 1:35:53 AM9/4/23
to minix3
Hi everyone!

I have an SSD with MBR partitioning. The first partition contains Mint Linux bootable without any problems. The second contains Minix. I can start the Minix OS from within my Linux system using a qemu vm:
sudo qemu-system-i386 -m 2G -drive file=/dev/sda2,format=raw,media=disk

The Minix installed in my SSD boots perfectly well in the qemu virtul machine.

If I get a Grub command prompt and type ls
I get (hd0) which is my SSD
(hd0,msdos1) which is my MBR Linux in the first partition
and (hd0,msdos2) which is the Minix OS.
I have tried the following entry in Grub:

setparams 'Minix 3'
     set root=(hd0,msdos2)
      chainloader +1

and the result is

NetBSD MBR boot
Error No operting system
No Boot Device Found. Press ny key to reboot the machine

If I get a Grub command prompt and type

set root=(hd0,msdos1)
multiboot /

and then I hit TAB, the folders in my Linux OS appear. This means Grub understands the Linux FS and allows me access to the Linux partition from within Grub.

But if I type

set root=(hd0,msdos2)
multiboot /

and then hit the TAB key, nothing happens.
If I press ENTER then I get
"error: unknown filesystem".

So it seems that Grub can't deal with the Minix FS...

If I type ls -l in the Grub command prompt I get:

Device hd0: No known filesystem  detected - Sector size 512B - Total size 976762584KiB
       Partition hd0,msdos2: No known filesystem detected - Partition start at 957032448KiB - Total size 19729408KiB
         Partition hd0,msdos1: Filesystem type ext* - Last modification time 2023-09-03 22:090:27 Sunday, UUID 5125baf5-ee62-4bf2-a113-2264b24a0edf - Partition start at 1024KiB - Total size 957031250KiB

So, how can I boot Minix directly from my 2nd partition and use it without running it as guest in a VM inside my Linux as host?

Thanks!!!!!!